Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Cermark F16 what do i NEED to know and do

Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cermark F16 what do i NEED to know and do

I know there are many threads on the plane so much in fact thats its overwhelming the content of information avaliable. Anyway, after about 5 months of saving (being a full scale pilot is not as glamorous as you may think) I finally ordered my F16. I want this airplane to be as perfect as possible my planned set up is an OS 91FX, my Futaba 7c 2.4ghz for control, and futaba 3152 servos for elev and rudder, s3001s for ailerons, and 3004s for everything else. I wanted to get a some info on basic set up, and worthwhile mods, I guess kinda like a cliffnotes for the plane. Example
1. I know to deffinatly reinforce the retract area with 1/4" ply and fiberglass cloth.
2. CG should be set at about 7 1/4"-7 1/2"
3. Get a higher MAH 6.0v RX pack
4. Seems like the plane likes about 5-10 degrees of flaperons.
Another question our paved rwy is somewhat small 300'x40' I dont think th take off will be an issue, but from the vids they seem to land a little hot, I dont want to be overrunning
the runway would the flaperons take care of this or am i just gonna have to hone my landing skills?
I know there is more info that I read but just cant remember cause there is so much info. Thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cermark F16 what do i NEED to know and do

The Cg range you said is correct. (3rd version only)
Reinforcing the retract area is a must
You will need a mini servo for the rudder, you will never ever be able to get a standard in their.
Flaperons I don't really know I don't use them.
This plane can be slowed down to crawl.I have seen it and done it myself. All you have to do when landing is hold in up elevator and use the throttle to keep
your height.
You are gonna love this plane....
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second what Pete said.The only thing I would change would be the engine we both have the Jett 90lx and boy do they fly!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:36 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another thing to consider. When setting up your 7C you can connect the steer servo to channel 7 and mix it with rudder (ch 4) so you can trim the nose wheel and rudder separately. With sub-trim and the dial on the 7C this makes for a handy setup.

Also note that you will need a servo reverser to hook up the elevators. Electrodynamics sells a good unit.

I found flaperons to be more hassle than it was worth. Flaperons caused my 16 to pitch down regardless of how much deflection I used which meant I then needed a flap / elevator mix. After testing over several flights and landings I was unable to find a mix I liked and quite using it. At the time my model was balanced at 7.5.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Dieselman1220

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies guys I would love to use a jett but the budget just wont allow for it.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not seen that my Jett 90 can outperform the OS91/Jettstream tuned muffler combo by much. That comparison was on the cermark f16 and the patriot xl. I suggest you spend 85 bucks on the Jettstream muffler and slap it on the OS 91fx. Unless you can get a NIB jett 90 like I did on RCU for $250.
Regarding plane setup, I also used the futaba 3152 servos on the elevators for many flights without problems. Good alternative for similar rating is the hitec 5485 digitals for $25, since you're budget conscious.
I also found the plane to pitch down like crazy with flaperon deflection, so I stopped using them. Mine does tend to come in hot, partly because my Jett 90 is not broken yet so the idle is a bit high. You will have a hot landing unless your engine can idle down to well below 2000 rpms. This airframe is very clean. i.e. the plane will keep flying if your idle is anything above 2000. Alternatively, you can play with apc 12x6 prop initially until your idle is low and got used to the plane, then go all out for speed with apc 11x9 and lean it on the ground to 500 rpm below peak. I initially set engine a little rich, with a small smoke trail at full throttle, then slowly lean the needle on subsequent flights until the smoke trail just starts to disappear. It's easy to get caught up with speed flights and run it too lean. Then, you will start asking us why you keep replacing glow plugs!!!
Regarding plugs, I like to use the OS F (4c) plug which has a nice thick coil. I rarely have to change out plugs with this one. OS #8 is useless for hot rod set up.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Dieselman1220

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great info guys thanks alot, the plane just got here today i cant wait to tear into it
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM
kmtranmd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will need 8oz of battery in the tail cone to balance this bird. The manual even suggests to use subC batteries to get that 8oz weight. Balance should be around 7 1/4 to 7 3/8" with gears up if you have the latest version (air retracts and smaller scale wings). I used 2 nimh 6v batteries for redundancy safety to get that 8oz weight in the tail. I also reinforced the retract rails with fiberglass cloth/epoxy resin. Their retract rail design is not strong enough for this 11 lbs plane.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Dieselman1220

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe there are 3 versions out now, how do I know which one i have? Im assuming its the 3rd one the instruction manual says revised 4/06 is that the latest? How do you set up a 2 pack receiver battery? I def plan on reinforcing the gear area I have some 1/4" basswood and heavy duty automotive fiberglass cloth for the area. You balanced your plane with the gear up? I thought it should always be with the gear down, thats how they do it on the full scales?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dieselman, if you have a canopy with hatch it's the latest version (3)

The gear down or up when balancing rule is this:

balance with the gear in the position that puts the CG in the most aft location
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Dieselman1220

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup Ive got a hatch style canopy, thanks for the info on the gear that makes sense
Old 05-09-2009, 07:20 AM
kmtranmd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Battery redundancy is very easy to set up. Run each battery to individual switch and plug into any 2 spare servo inputs on the receiver. This is failsafe against faulty switches and batteries on any given plane. I use the heavy duty EMS switches you can get from Tower for 11.99 that have charge jack built in for you.
Regarding CG with gears up or down, always balance with gears up if you have retracts and gears down if you use fixed gear. You balance the plane based on its flying condition.
Try not to overdo the reinforcement and end up with heavy plane. Propjets fly way better with lower wing loading. The key to landing this plane is make sure you can idle down the engine. New engine with unreliable idle can create anxiety trying to land this fast bird. The airframe is very clean, it will cut through the air very well. I usually go to idle just as soon as I complete the final turn and let airspeed bleed off as she comes in with shallow descent. Don't need to do the typical carrying the plane in with power and airspeed or you will end up overshooting the runway.