Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

project "Stryker"

Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 AM
sportrider_fz6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default project "Stryker"

I'm starting an "extreme speed" project. I'm going to convert a PZ stryker to glow. in your opinion what would be a faster setup a puller or pusher? I was thinking about powering it with a Magnum XLS .15 or .28 as a pusher I could go up to a 7" prop. if it's a tractor the size would be open. I do plan on adding LG to the stryker as I prefer ROG's to hand launches
Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: project "Stryker"

Pushers can be made to go real fast! Problem is prop availability. Aside from that, fuel delivery is 180 degrees out of whack.....you don't want a speed plane to go rich when you pull the nose up. I get around that problem by using a high pressure bladder. I've also carved my own props out of maple, the thinner you can make them, the faster you go. It sounds like you've got 7 inch pusher props, so why not give the pusher set up a try?
BTW, extreme speed planes don't have any gear hanging down....[:'(]
Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 AM
sportrider_fz6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know my .15 will pull about 16500 with a 7x6, the only thing close is a zinger 8x6. I thought I would cut it down to 7. honestly I didn't even think about the fuel tank location(being infront of the engine) and the effect it would have on tuning. glad you brought that up
Old 05-05-2009, 01:26 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some guys think the tank location is "no big deal"......I've never been so lucky. A 7x6 is kind of big for a high speed .15.......that would be the upper limit IMO. I realize that there aren't many choices for a .15 pusher. If the prop isn't APC, it can be cut down to 6.5 x 6 with good results. Shaving the blades down to look like the old wood pylon props is what the "doctor ordered" for speed. Take a good look at a east European .15 [FAI] combat prop, that's the idea.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sportrider_fz6

I know my .15 will pull about 16500 with a 7x6, the only thing close is a zinger 8x6. I thought I would cut it down to 7. honestly I didn't even think about the fuel tank location(being infront of the engine) and the effect it would have on tuning. glad you brought that up

Sportrider - when in doubt, check APC first:

APC: [link=http://www.apcprop.com/]APC[/link]

7x6P PUSHER PROP
List Price: $2.75
Our Price: $2.75
Sale Price: $2.75

But as CP says, it is a bit much load for anything but a strong .15. Zinger has a 7-4 wood, but 4 pitch is only fast at >>20k. But on a sport .15 with the resultant rpm the airspeed will be spritely for a small aircraft, just not fast if'n you know what I mean. Imagine an 8" pitch prop at high four stroke rpm if that helps visualize.

MJD

Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MJD- I just bought a Stryker to ease the pain of the loss of my Kaos and only days after buying it I to was thinking of ways to make it go faster Even in the stock form it sure is FUN.....post pics of how you plan on mounting that engine....sounds like a fun project!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm starting an "extreme speed" project. I'm going to convert a PZ stryker to glow. in your opinion what would be a faster setup a puller or pusher? I was thinking about powering it with a Magnum XLS .15 or .28 as a pusher I could go up to a 7" prop. if it's a tractor the size would be open. I do plan on adding LG to the stryker as I prefer ROG's to hand launches
Jett has a slim 4 ounce bladder tank.

How about that .28 on an 8-6P? Sounds good from prop load standpoint to me.

LG? Ugh! sorry, just IMHO.

MJD
Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Weight of the power system is a big issue. I would get your Stryker mocked up with all the onboard equipment in place and figure out what your weight budget is for engine and tank, firewall, fiberglass, etc. If you can pull off the conversion without needing lead, then you would have done a masterfull job!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the 15 would be just as fast as the 28. you can get 20,000 on those 15 on apc 7x5 props with a few mods to engine. But you will still only be around 100-110 with it.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 AM
sportrider_fz6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking the .15 as it only weighs 6.8oz w muffler vs the .28 at 10.8 oz. I plan on cutting a channel out of the fuse between the vertical stabs and epoxying some birch ply for the motor mount. I have a 2oz tank that I am planning on mounting in the stock esc location and by mounting the RX batt and throttle servo in the forward part of the stock battery location I'm hoping the CG won't be too far aft. I know from experience the stryker will fly fine missing the whole nose cone and factory weight. I'm going to fabricate a balsa nose cone/ firewall that the nose gear will be mounted on. if I keep the main gear close the the CG they shouldn't have to much effect on ballast. as far as speed goes, if I can break 100 MPH I'll be especially after I smoke my buddies electric Fun jet
Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking the .15 as it only weighs 6.8oz w muffler vs the .28 at 10.8 oz. I plan on cutting a channel out of the fuse between the vertical stabs and epoxying some birch ply for the motor mount. I have a 2oz tank that I am planning on mounting in the stock esc location and by mounting the RX batt and throttle servo in the forward part of the stock battery location I'm hoping the CG won't be too far aft. I know from experience the stryker will fly fine missing the whole nose cone and factory weight. I'm going to fabricate a balsa nose cone/ firewall that the nose gear will be mounted on. if I keep the main gear close the the CG they shouldn't have to much effect on ballast. as far as speed goes, if I can break 100 MPH I'll be especially after I smoke my buddies electric Fun jet
I wouldn't place any bets until you find out how fast a .15 can actually push that aircraft. Break 100 with landing gear? If I was a bettin' guy I 'd put my money on 85 tops, not to be a doomsayer or anything, just making my guess.

MJD
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think learning how to push a model away with your left hand while keeping a constant grip on the TX with your right hand is a necessary skill to learn that doesn't take that much skill to master. Then hand launching and belly landing wouldn't seem so much like black magic to some of the guys who post here. Having LG on a speed plane is like building a drag racer and then setting it up with a chain and a boat anchor to drag down the track.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think learning how to push a model away with your left hand while keeping a constant grip on the TX with your right hand is a necessary skill to learn that doesn't take that much skill to master. Then hand launching and belly landing wouldn't seem so much like black magic to some of the guys who post here. Having LG on a speed plane is like building a drag racer and then setting it up with a chain and a boat anchor to drag down the track.
And it is far less likely that you will hit yourself with the prop than most people figure at first. With follow through your hand drops away cleanly and safely. But I still let my buddy do all the hand launching of my .15 powered Astro Blaster pusher.. in Co Springs at 6200 feet and a high wing loading, it needed a javelin toss. Had nothing to do with the prop..

MJD
Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've never launched a 7 inch pusher, only 5 inchers. I might wear a jacket and have the cuff of the jacket overlap a driving glove until I gained enough confidence in my delivery. You want close to a 12 O'clock delivery to keep as much seperation as possible and a quick release.
Launching one of these can't be any worse than the story I just read about a guy who sent away for one of those squirrel monkeys back in the 1960s. When it showed up he opened the box and to make a long story short it completely unzipped his arm and he needed a million stitches. If you ever have the time, Google up "mail order monkeys" and I'm sure that hilarious story will pop up.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
airraptor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i launch all my gear less planes with the left hand, but not with a over hand throw. I hold on to the top of the fus. and toss them up and to the right. start with the plane behind you a little and give firm toss. up about a 25 degree angle and with the wings tilted to the right at about a 15 degree angle. what this does is to have the plane level by thime it picks up flying speed. the wings 15 to the right is to counter the torque of the engine. i do this on most up to a 40 size.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airraptor

i launch all my gear less planes with the left hand, but not with a over hand throw. I hold on to the top of the fus. and toss them up and to the right. start with the plane behind you a little and give firm toss. up about a 25 degree angle and with the wings tilted to the right at about a 15 degree angle. what this does is to have the plane level by thime it picks up flying speed. the wings 15 to the right is to counter the torque of the engine. i do this on most up to a 40 size.
I eventually had Magnum launch helpers point it "up 30 degrees, bank it to the right, and try to throw it over those trees..". The aircraft would obediently roll left as it arced down and accelerated, and by the time it was about level it was ready to be controlled gently.

CP - mail order squirrel monkeys.. cool! Does Harry and George handle them?

MJD
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, that might be my "extreme speed" project for this Summer. I'm gonna catch this bald eagle that keeps diving through here and harrassing the chickens] with a surf casting rod and live bait [maybe use a baby rabbit]. Then outfit the eagle with a bit and bridle like you steer a horse with, but also with up and down control. I figure the eagle will fly where it's head is pointed. The rest is pretty easy, strap a servo tray, rx, etc. to the steering harness. Now to top this off, I thought it would be a nice touch to have a squirrel monkey [wearing a little outfit] saddled up so it can ride the eagle around. Of course we'll install a HOWFAST? speed recorder to make this a legitimate speed project.
If the RC idea doesn't work, I know for sure that control line will. I don't think there is anything in the rules that says I can't enter it in this year's Bladder Grabber [AMA Fast Combat]?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:36 AM
sportrider_fz6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not worried about hand launching it, I've done it more times then I can remember with this plane. I just prefer rolling take offs and landings. I may have to try a belly lander setup first just to see how fast I can make it. I'll just be sure to clock the prop at 3 & 9. the only down fall is that every landing will be dead stick
Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
airraptor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

have it idle with high idle trim then when ready to land on final kill engine right before landing. no problem there.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 PM
TJ Moran

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: project

Hey, why not revert back to WW II and do like the krauts. Build a little 3-wheeled dolly with a cheapo receiver and tiny nicad and a small steering servo for a single nosewheel. Hit the throttle, steer it down the runway, lift off the dolly and viola, flying ! Land in the grass. I agree, hanging 3 little boat anchors off a speed plane is just bad form and chaps my caboose.

Stryker flyer

Old 05-24-2009, 08:31 AM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TALKABOUTHANDLAUNCES!!! Two days ago my regular hand launcher who has gotten used to launching my Magnum wasn't at the field.....I had to use another guy... Wellhe released at the right angle but didn't follow through and the elevator hit his hand.......The Magnum hung nearly verticle for a second then nosed over and flew... 9x7...never would have done that with a smaller prop...a real nail biter. The next day the same thing happened to me.....no regular launcher present and the guy from the day before wasn't there. ANOTHER NEWGUY I explained the the launch and told him with the prop setup it would fly right out of his hand....well... he launched at full throttle on the pipe and did not release until slightly below 90 degrees which at full throttle made the ole Magnum a lawn dart straight into the ground about 15 feet out.....couldn't react fast enough. Amazinglyvery little damage A wing tip was broken and elevator tip was brokenthe front tray inside came loose from the fuse side, and the wing mountingplate was slightlypulled away.....It didn'teven break the prop, go figure! Fixed in two hours and back in the air thenext day with the regular launcher.....no problems.

I actually feel sorry for the guys I wouldn't want to launch that thing either....and most guys are so nervous that they will throw it wrong that they freeze up or hesitate on the release. One day I am going to brave it and try an under hand toss myself that I saw on the videos....it looked easy and the the guy had complete control.

My moto is.....I let a new guy hand launch at my own risk and tell the guy that whatever happens it's on me....keeps friends FRIENDS
Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Wiggy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ialways do my own hand launch. When you rely on someone else you are really putting your aircraft and others at risk. When I was flying a lot of combat, I was amazed at some of the launches.

Ihave launched all my combat planes and deltas since a "helper" launched a Dust that hit less than 6 feet from him. He threw it right into the ground destroying the model. My Jett powered Whiplash is a bit of a challenge but Ido it myself. The only person Iget mad at is me!

Wiggy