Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sundowner F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:12 PM
mk1spitfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner F1

Good speed today with my F1. Moki 180 16x12 staight castor, F plug and back flips starts.Slight flaperon helped drag her and resulted in shorter run off. Awesome Model, tracks lovely. Flying off 80m grass patch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19275.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1195697  
Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Sundowner F1

what is your prop? i am soon to build a go fast scratch build around a moki 2.10.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

What speed did you get?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess he's having to much fun flying.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: dhal22

i guess he's having to much fun flying.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
That's what it's all about.

I was looking at one of these to put a MT-62cc engine in, but because I want a tuned pipe on it to I think it's too much work to get it in I'll just have to scratch-built something like it.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:30 AM
mk1spitfire

As mentioned in first post, I was using 16x12 (apc). I have a 16x14 to try too but it allready feels a good match for the engine.
As for speed I can not be acurate but I do fly alot of fast models. Basically I was flying it very high so as still to see the model of course! Ha lets say 2000ft and dropping it verticaly down with a shallow pull for fast pass accross me downwind. I estimate 135mph but I stress this is NOT fact, only experience from other fast planes. gps next

I have to say, when i bring her to the field all my other models that I've bought with me stay grounded.!

I can only describe it as flying a GIANT magnum but the tracking of a high spec F3A glider so expect adrenalin and big cheesy grins after each flight. I munched through a gallon yesterday. !!

Advisable to clean you model after each flight if using FAI fuel, otherwise expect a mass of oil at the end of day.
I have found the use of methalated spirits mixed half with water in a spray bottle to be extremly effective in cleaning models.

No tuned pipe(yet!) pits style muffler. The engine I think is very quiet but as it passes you at speed,unloading you can buzz at the roar it makes!

The vertical is fantastic.

Full throtle all the flight!

I think its a 22oz tank. I land after 7 mins, I believe a third of a tank left. However, Im convinced in the vertical dives after 7.30 mins the engine gives a clue its not getting fuel by means of a murmor. Of course this I believe is because of vertical dive. The 7 mins is for saftey with easyly a few go rounds left for spare should i abort the landing.

The slight flapperon and up elevator mix greatly helps its final approach. Fly her in on low throttle and switch to throttle trim to get the tick over super low to overcome the windmill efect on the prop.

Am I having fun with this model? You bet I am. It flies better than it looks and it looks awesome.

Only dislikes are the axles, which can bend. Looks like 4mm. Not strong enough. Something went wrong in design there.

I will convert to 5mm, stainless maybe.

The battery/reciever/switch and regulator are in the tail. No steel rods used for the tail.
Throttle servo is behind tank on plate.

If the springs go for the tail wheel, it can still be flown
Old 05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
nesikachad

I have a 17X8 in mine with a Moki 210. I recently bumped up to a Perry carb, Perry pump, and a tuned pipe to see if it'll wake it up a little more.

I've recorded speeds of 134mph on mine. One day we had a really stiff wind and she pinged a 158!! That was pretty cool.

I found a brand new MDS 218 case on Ebay. I have a full CNC machine shop so my plans are to build a crank/rod/sleeve for it and set it up for 30% heli fuel and then shoe horn it inside this biche to see what happens.

FWIW I could whittle up some 6AL 4V titanium axles if interested.

Lemme know.

C

www.longriflesinc.com

and. . .

www.competitiondist.com