Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

100 mph speed limit!!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 AM
BiggerDanno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 100 mph speed limit!!

Have you guys seen this?
www.modelaircraft.org/faa/recommendations.pdf

Look at page 8!!

What next, we can't leave the ground?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
BiggerDanno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 100 mph speed limit!!

I don't see anywhere where it states that it is only for those not under the AMA's umbrella. I hope I'm wrong though.

Note that it is the AMA that is proposing the speed limit, not the FAA.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

See section 2.1.

It seems there is an AMA rep - Richard Hanson, Academy of Model Aeronautics - making the recommendation yes, but again it seems these are intended to keep some form of control over UAV development, testing, and operation when not conducted under AMA. In the rocket world for example, I used to get calls from university or commercial clients who wanted to know what they had to do to launch legally. I told them they could do so themselves, applying for air clearance, securing insurance etc., or they could simply join a recognized association and operate as a member under their safety code and regulations. At first read this document seems to address a similar issue. I don't suggest there is zero implication, but it appears it does not apply any form of additional control over AMA operations which appear to be specifically exempted.

MJD

Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM
BiggerDanno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what I get for reading portions instead of the whole thing.

Thanks Mike!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What bothers me is that the FAA rule seams general and reasonable.....(as long as you can keep the plane inside of the bounderies of the field) but the AMA guy suggests the outlandish restrictions. I thought the AMA was on our side......yeah right....I really don't want to go back to flying CUBS, SENIORKADETS, and TELEMASTERS! No offense to guys who do but it is just not my cup of tea. I am frankly sick of government regulations and now they want to regulate MY HOBBY! What bothers me is that the agency that should be fighting for my rights as a hobbist....WHETHERIAMAMEMBERORNOT(and I am).....does not appear to be doing it. Maybe I read it wrong.....I'm just sick of government using 911 as an excuse to regulate more and more of our lives. The FAA needs to worry about the mess at our airports and stay away from my MAGNUM!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: arcticflyer

What bothers me is that the FAA rule seams general and reasonable.....(as long as you can keep the plane inside of the bounderies of the field) but the AMA guy suggests the outlandish restrictions. I thought the AMA was on our side......yeah right....I really don't want to go back to flying CUBS, SENIOR KADETS, and TELEMASTERS! No offense to guys who do but it is just not my cup of tea. I am frankly sick of government regulations and now they want to regulate MY HOBBY! What bothers me is that the agency that should be fighting for my rights as a hobbist....WHETHER I AM A MEMBER OR NOT(and I am).....does not appear to be doing it. Maybe I read it wrong.....I'm just sick of government using 911 as an excuse to regulate more and more of our lives. The FAA needs to worry about the mess at our airports and stay away from my MAGNUM!

But.. none of these rules apply to AMA members according to section 2.1.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MJD
But.. none of these rules apply to AMA members according to section 2.1.
Yet.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

Yet.
Guess how 98%of the people answer this question : Do you trust the government?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whatever the case may be, I'd be all over the AMA and your rep to find out if there is potential for overlap in the future. It's not necessarily a presursor to increased control over AMA activities.. but y'all might want to check that out.

MJD
Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 AM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But......and I agree with Mike C......YET, the point is the AMA guy appears to be the one who suggested the speed limit not the FAA. What's next?.....That is the question one must always ask when dealing with Government regulation....where will it stop?.....Will I be required to be an AMA memeber to Fly anything anywhere?....Will I have to have a Federal Pilots License to fly RC?....... Will I have to go to ground school then take a "check ride" with an AMA examiner?...... What will the AMA's role become in all of this?...Will the AMA become a sudo governmental body that controls all we do in the hobby.....God Forbid! They are the ones who expanded on the restrictions that the FAA proposes. ONE guy made that suggestion..... how about a larger group of reps...... better yet..... how about POLLINGTHEMEMEBERSHIP, who pay the dues before even making suggestions. Who are my PEERS? Most of the guys who watch me fly ( and they are some great guys) can barely see my Magnum let alone react fast enough to fly it and they are going to regulate my flying. Now give me a group of German Speed pilots and I would be happy to let them laugh at my SLOWplane that goes over 100.

WILLIHAVETOGIVEUPMYBROTHERHOOD#235?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the Feds first targets will be Flyboy Dave and his little black book of registered speed freaks [8D].
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

One of the Feds first targets will be Flyboy Dave and his little black book of registered speed freaks [8D].
He should send it up here for safekeeping, it'll be out of their jurisdiction. Mind you I'd get shipped off to Guantanemo Bay the instant I tried to cross the border to come to a toy airplane meet.

It might behoove the AMA to suggest that their own well-established safety code/regs might form a template for regulation of independent activities.. rather than the other way around. This is what we did up here with a lot of the rocket regs (there are many similar concerns and a lot of differences I admit), although we're not dealing with the SS when we talk to Ottawa. But they recognized the self-policing aspect of the national association(s), though I doubt your FAA is quite so easy to rationalize/bargain with.. . In any case a proactivite stance won a lot of points.

MJD
Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If they put in a 100 mph limit, I'll have to switch over to those ARF prop jets.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

If they put in a 100 mph limit, I'll have to switch over to those ARF prop jets.
And cheaper 1/2A engines.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Duane-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is only for "alternative view" flying. I do understand if it pertains to that. But to limit us when we have the plane in sight (and control) would be crazy.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i don't see the 3-D pilots getting too concerned.  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
mk1spitfire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is that 100mph vertical?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Duane-RCU....I don't see where it only applies to "alternative view" flying...I hope I'm wrong!...... frankly I don't have a problem with them getting concerned with that science.

dhal22- 3D pilots are flying helicopters with wings, so they arn't gonna get upset.....Park flyers arn't gonna get upset either.

I sure wouldn't want to be one of the guys who owns a turbine jet at over 5 grand.....ouch!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Duane-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is what I see.....

ALTERNATIVE VIEW: Replace (7) with the following:

Model Aircraft cannot be operated at airspeeds which exceed 100 mph

(87 knots).

That is the only area I see the 100mph limit. It only seems to be toward alternative view. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 AM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I read this document ALTERNATIVEVIEW is not "video flying" I sure hope I'm wrong..... but the use of the words Alternative View is used in this document by the AMA. As I read this the FAA is talking about regulating all hobby use model aviation outsided of an organization like the AMA or sanctioned club.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 AM
BiggerDanno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe that their use of "alternative view" means that they have a different take on things, not referring to video flying.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the Feds first targets will be Flyboy Dave and his little black book of registered speed freaks .

Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Scorpion Racing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The way I see it is two fold. AMA first wants to be the only legal way you can fly RC in the USA. If that doesn't pan out for them, they want to limit you so much, that you will have to join. I think the FAA rule is written how it should be; No speed limit as long as you stay within the space requirements. What we should be more worried about is airspace limits.

Don't get me wrong, the AMA is a wonderful group, but their job in this is to make sure we are free to enjoy our hobby as well as progress. 20 years ago, a 60 sized or 1/4 scale airplane was HUGE and AM was a good radio system. Now, we fly much bigger stuff, with much larger engines, and our radios are far better. The last thing we should do is add rules to ourselves. The FAA is willing to leave it open, leave it that way!

Just my .02
Old 05-22-2009, 09:39 PM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see this as a boom to the AMA...they have been lamenting about low membership of late....if this goes through, all the guys who are flyingat "rouge" fields and parks will eventually become outlaws. This is gonna be just like vehicle insurance.....law mandatesit....then the insurance companies charge whatever they want and make all of the rules. I wonder if it will eventually cost us 6 or 7 hundred a year to operate a 40 sized plane. SCARY!

I see that document for exactly what it said the FAA suggested one thing and the AMA expanded on it making it more restrictive which I am not happy about. I amd going to read the document again and call or email them next week. If we keep silent about this.....we won't be going over 100!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service