Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Screamin Demon / Lickety Split build

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Screamin Demon / Lickety Split build

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screamin Demon / Lickety Split build

I figure I had better assemble a handful of these things for myself, and here are a few shots of my "prototype" slowly coming together. I must confess I like the looks of the tip fins far more than the traditional stodgy center fins. I really should toss the OS .46 in there for pilot calibration flights, then out with it and in with the West or Jett .50. So far what you see here - engine, airframe minus a bit of hatch but mroe than you see here, battery - is about two pounds. Still a few things to go but I'm tired so not tonight.

MJD
MikesRC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18646.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1197667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13513.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1197668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56625.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1197669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33473.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1197670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny25640.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1197671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Br12155.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1197672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo14299.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1197673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp54314.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1197674  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca52715.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1197675  
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Screamin Demon / Lickety Split build

That looks great MJD! The different camera angles make it look like 2 different planes. I wonder what tip fins do to the roll rate? I'm sure this has been covered, just don't remember what the findings were.
Having a "slag engine" laying around for flight testing isn't a bad idea.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

That looks great MJD! The different camera angles make it look like 2 different planes. I wonder what tip fins do to the roll rate? I'm sure this has been covered, just don't remember what the findings were.
Having a "slag engine" laying around for flight testing isn't a bad idea.
In the production version first run I added side mount servo cutouts in the center ribs, just a hair ahead of the rear spar. The opening is sized for minis - HS225's actually - but you can even lay standard servos on there side in there and have only a bit of the servo arm protrude. On this example a Dremel tool substituted for the laser. Now, with axial motion only due to the side mounting, it is easy to make a skinny aero fairing over the linkage.

I like this fin arrangement a whole lot more than the "traditional" boxy center fins. Looks nasty. Looks like a scaled up version of something you'd build in three minutes flat for a Fora.

I found to my delight and surprise that my Doylejet pulsejet, which is heavier than a Dynajet though internally identical, weighs nearly exactly the same as the West .50 and pipe pictured here. Silly me, I was worried about weight.

MJD
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I wonder what tip fins do to the roll rate? I'm sure this has been covered, just don't remember what the findings were.
To my surprise, it was hard to tell the difference between any flight characteristics when winglets were used. I like the looks of the winglet shape and was considering putting a tab on them so they could also be used as inboard fins. That would keep the laser cutter from cutting two sets of fins.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Mike, that's what I thought you said about it. I like both styles, but my next delta will definitely have the tip fins.
The guys who come here looking for a fast ARF [and who claim that they can't build ] should take a good look at this plane take form. The most challenging part of a build like this might be doing a nice covering job, but this is the ideal plane to learn about and practice covering with. You could do this whole plane with a household iron, I don't recall if 1 roll will do the whole job or not on a plane this size. The end result for a first time builder will be a plane that doesn't take weeks and weeks to complete, the entire building sessions could be broken down into :
Framing with wing tips installed and engine mount drilled, sheeting installed...3 hours
Elevons hinged, servos mounted, pushrod linkage assembled, fuel tank assembled...3 hours
Pipe mount installed, top sheeting and hatches installed, fiberglass wing tips, final sanding......3 hours
Covering and fuel proofing......
I've never kept close track of time, but I'll bet 9 hours is realistic to get one of these ready for covering.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 AM
mk1spitfire

love to know what the overall weight will be with west and your speed ground/air
Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM
BiggerDanno

Looks like a plane that would look good in my hangar.

Got a ballpark price?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

love to know what the overall weight will be with west and your speed ground/air
I built 4 and they all came out around 2 lb 12-14 oz RTF (less fuel). Mine were with a 17 oz. engine and that weight included 2 oz. tail weight needed with the side exhaust. Some have reported no balance weight necessary with a long pipe. The speed will be interesting. I bet quick if built clean.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 PM
MJD

The West .50 V1 and pipe combo shown weighs 522 grams, that's 18.4 ounces, for reference. I have a Sport Jett .50 and it is a killer engine, but these have already flown on that engine so I decided to shove the West in it and see what happens. It looks snotty with the pipe hanging out there, though it also looks like a pile of drag. I expect it to outrun the Magnum however.

My all up weight remains to be seen, but I imagine I've managed to create a 3 pound ship the first go-around.

MJD
Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

lookin good!
I really enjoyed building mine, went together fast!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: smoknrv4

lookin good!
I really enjoyed building mine, went together fast!
No matter how simple something is to build, I always find ways to make it into a project.. My build time will be used as the an example of how long it can take.

MJD
Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: BiggerDanno

Got a ballpark price?
Whoops BD, forgot to reply on price! I am keeping the price the same as before @ USD $69.95.

I totally agree, it would look good in your hangar; and I don't even know what your hangar looks like. See, now you know you need one.. .

MikeD aka MJD
MikesRC
Old 05-17-2009, 12:35 AM
MJD

Well, not doing too bad actually.

Everything on the scale minus covering/finishing and elevon pushrods sits at 2.75 pounds, aka 2 lb 12 oz. I wonder how much my finishing job is about to weigh..? 

My reply screens have gone buggy.. the text box semi-disappears. ***?? I can only use this quick reply box below the thread.

MJD

Old 05-17-2009, 02:39 AM
mk1spitfire

Maybe build something infront of header to streamline the dragcoefficeint round shape? More bullety??? Ha, The ultimate anti drag ship
Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 AM
MJD

Admittedly, the side exhaust layout totally sucks in terms of cleaning things up. I'm not going to worry about it on this model - the goal is just to build it somewhat conventionally, and bolt on an engine someone might have laying about looking for something to do. I imagine it should still move out fine as is. 

In my case I dinged the LE of my Magnum, which would have taken me all of 30 minutes to repair, but I was bored of it so stripped out all the equipment. I thought it wuld beinteresting to drop the West .50 in one. I will be building a couple more of these deltas asap (hopefully more quickly than this one ) and will be messing with cowls and the like and different engine arrangements.

In the meantime I've set the Magnum airframe aside but where I can look at it and think about a replacement.

MJD

Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 AM
arcticflyer

MJD- You talked about replacing your Magnum....I just fixed mine after a turn two back straight flame out (too lean) minor damage didn't make it all the way back to the nice smooth runway. Anyway I got a Rifle from Angel last week. Took it out of the box just to look it over. It is not an ARF....but I didn't expect it to be. It is however ALOT nicer than the Magnum. I'm moving back to Canada the first week in June (Prince Albert) so I decided not to start on the project and put it back in the box....It is very, very, similar to the Magnum...but WOW is the wing straight! I am looking forward to your getting some of the kits done and will be ordering one when I get back up north....keep up the good work!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
smoknrv4

I'm contemplating a SJ 60 LX for mine and I've heard that Cool Power isn't the best thing for Jett engines, what about 15% nitro with a little added castor,  if so how much per gallon would you add?

So why isn't Cool power recommended I've always used it?

P.s. Is anybody else having problems posting a new thread?[]

Old 05-17-2009, 12:55 PM
MJD

Right now I can't post new threads, or reply to posts. The text box comes up blank. I can only use the quick reply box at the bottom. I thought it might have been at my end but perhaps not.

MJD

Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Wiggy

Mike,

Ihope you get your posting issues fixed. Ilook forward to reading about your progress with the Screamin Demon. Ihave built numerous Diamond Dusts and look forward to building one of these. I know this is based on the DD design/construction method so it should be a quick and easy project.

Keep us up to date on your construction.

Wiggy
Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 AM
BiggerDanno

ORIGINAL: MJD

ORIGINAL: BiggerDanno

Got a ballpark price?
Whoops BD, forgot to reply on price! I am keeping the price the same as before @ USD $69.95.

I totally agree, it would look good in your hangar; and I don't even know what your hangar looks like. See, now you know you need one.. .

MikeD aka MJD
MikesRC
When will it be available?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM
MJD

June 1 is the intended release date, and so far everything is on track. The site has occasional updates, and some work still to go before June 1: [link=http://www.MikesRC.us]MikesRC[/link]

Mike D aka MJD
MikesRC
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: smoknrv4

I'm contemplating a SJ 60 LX for mine and I've heard that Cool Power isn't the best thing for Jett engines, what about 15% nitro with a little added castor, if so how much per gallon would you add?

So why isn't Cool power recommended I've always used it?

P.s. Is anybody else having problems posting a new thread?[]

You can use CoolPower if you wish. It is a good fuel, and if you do not get the engine hot/lean it will run and last just fine.

You can add a touch of castor to it if you wish - just an oz per gallon goes a long way.

Most of us prefer to run a bit of castor in the fuel blend for the AACand ABCengines, so Omega, wildcat, PowerMaster all offer about at 16-17-18% total oil, with about 15 + 3 combination.

The 60LXis a "Bit less user friendly" than the other sport jett engines - which I define as, prop it incorrectly or if you miss the needle setting, it will remind you. Not difficult or criticle to operate at all, but I think you get the idea

Old 05-19-2009, 01:51 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

looking forward to building one of these delta's and your idea for a laser cut assembly jig is  dead on for building straight airplanes
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
smoknrv4

[/quote]

You can use CoolPower if you wish. It is a good fuel, and if you do not get the engine hot/lean it will run and last just fine.

You can add a touch of castor to it if you wish - just an oz per gallon goes a long way.

Most of us prefer to run a bit of castor in the fuel blend for the AACand ABCengines, so Omega, wildcat, PowerMaster all offer about at 16-17-18% total oil, with about 15 + 3 combination.

The 60LXis a "Bit less user friendly" than the other sport jett engines - which I define as, prop it incorrectly or if you miss the needle setting, it will remind you. Not difficult or criticle to operate at all, but I think you get the idea

[/quote]

Thanks Bob for the info, instead of putting it in the Screamin Demon, I just ordered a Juno f-20 for it, I can't wait!!

Hey MJD,Its nice to see a fellow Canuck is supplying this great aircraft,when those kits are ready I'm going to order one, what kind of price shipped are we talking about CAD toLondon Ontario, I want to build another one with winglets this time.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 PM
MJD

Nearly done! Got the covering on, sprayed the tips in Insignia Blue, and will add some neon insets to the tips, and some blue large checkers to the white underside I think. My eyes need all the help they can get.

Only the tank protrudes, everything else is flush. You could fit two radio systems back there. AUW is still projected at 2.75 pounds, but we'll see where I screwed up once all the trim is done and ailerons mounted.

Mebbe test fly Sunday. More likely Tues-Wed.

And BTW, all the parts are on track - plywood parts all cut, balsa being done now. Yeehah!

Mike D aka MJD
MikesRC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88684.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1203815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86486.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1203816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13963.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1203817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72268.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1203818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17421.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1203819  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.