Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My cheeks are clenching already.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My cheeks are clenching already.

Think I'll be testing my Screamin Demon tomorrow - finished elevon install 20 minutes ago, and happy with it as all is nice and tight but easy movin', no flex at all, and we'll just leave that one alone without the obvious analogies. Just gooped in a mini throttle servo and soldered me up a pushrod. Motor's 100% in, pipe bracket in, hatch done.. geez, I'm running out of excuses! Weather doesn't look too good, hmmm.

I was holding it up right now thinking.. "same engine as Magnum, half or less frontal area, 3/4 pound or more less... what am I doing?"

Should be fun.

MJD
Old 05-30-2009, 09:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My cheeks are clenching already.

Bring it on buddy!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, should be fun! :-)
Hey, Monday is June 1. You about ready to start shipping?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good luck MJD......I hate to put it that way, luck should have nothing to do with it.

Make sure your travel volumes are set equally, right and left, up and down. Make sure the antenna is screwed in tight. Do a proper range check. Check the model sitting flat on the table for straightness..........OK, have fun now
Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Good luck MJD......I hate to put it that way, luck should have nothing to do with it.

Make sure your travel volumes are set equally, right and left, up and down. Make sure the antenna is screwed in tight. Do a proper range check. Check the model sitting flat on the table for straightness..........OK, have fun now
Thanks, good luck works for me. A little good fortune never hurt, plus a lot of careful planning and setup - it's amazing how lucky you get when you go over all the minor details like a mother hen and practice flying it in your head first. Though for maybe 25 years I've wondered how long it would take me to build a TF Contender - you know, the one you were supposed to be able to build in 8 hours?

This thing is probably the straightest aircraft I have ever built from rubble. I like arrow shafts! There ain't a tweak to be found. The travels are indeed all nicely equal, and I have a pair of HS-625's on the elevons which ought to do just fine. They move easily and are sealed. I have three rates set up, e.g. elevator - 100%, 65%, 40%, with decreasing negative expo as you go through the three. I'm used to this, and usually after 3-4 flights I have an idea what works and I'll tweak it from there. I like the final setup to be aggressive maneuvering, sporty, and gentle, that way I can hand off to my buddies at soft, then they can go to the middle rate to fool around. At least with other aircraft, maybe not this one. My biggest fear is it will rocket out of the first hand launch and disappear over the horizon before I figure out which end is which.

I don't have the energy left to do photos tonight, but I sure will in the morning. It rained most of the day and my buddy couldn't come until tomorrow, so we'll also maiden the OPS .65 on the stand as well while we're at it, as I obviously didn;t get to it today. Sounds like a tough day of R&D ahead tomorrow. Might have to hit the pub for lunch and write it off.

I saw some of Mk1's Magnum vids, IIRC they were his with the on board camera? In any case, I have a couple of little CCD cameras, so if this thing survives my test flights and indoctrination, sometime down the road I'll screw a camera pod on top somewhere. Should be funny.

Mike D aka MJD

Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

Yep, should be fun! :-)
Hey, Monday is June 1. You about ready to start shipping?
Purty near. The short pole turned out to be late delivery of the bulk balsa, which arrived at the laser cutter's place on Friday afternoon. So I get the laser cut and stock wood mid-day Monday. Everything else is here or will be by Monday morning. So I start sorting and QCing stuff Monday aft and presumably packing boxes later that day and sometime until early the next I imagine. So I'll take that as a "made it" for now! And despite the dormant appearance of the website, online ordering will be online by then too.

So it's coming together!

Oh no.. it's 1:40 am and my buddy just arrived from the pub on a quad.. oh no....

MJD

Old 05-31-2009, 04:13 AM
mk1spitfire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hope the maiden is great..!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MJD
I have a pair of HS-625's on the elevons which ought to do just fine. They move easily and are sealed. I have three rates set up, e.g. elevator - 100%, 65%, 40%, with decreasing negative expo as you go through the three.
Mike, there are two servos that I won’t touch with a ten foot pole, the HS-625MG and the JR ST125MG. The 625 has poor centering and excessive back lash or it soon will have, and the pots go bad quickly. If you insist on using those servos, give them the mechanical advantage (shorter arms) this will help reduce the first two issues with it at the expense of control surface travel and speed.

The ST125s have killed at least 4 planes and almost one of mine at my field that I know of. These servos had a very narrow dead band, so much so they eat up batteries or the electrical noise they generated blinded the receiver.

I can only speak from my own personal observations. These two types of servos were early models and may have had these issues resolved, but I won’t take the chance.

Hitec and JR make great stuff and I have a lot of both, every brand has some dogs.

For launch on my Diamond Dust I set the aileron expo at a very low level with moderate rate of throws. Once it’s tracking and before it’s up to speed, I switch to 100% expo with high rates. I have found this eliminated a vicious over correcting cycle that I had from time to time at launch. The elevator settings are left same from start to finish with 100% expo with high rates. You may wish to reduce the rates at first or for other users. I launch at 45* with the right wing down a bit and I feed in just a bit of right aileron. Mr. Connor may have a different or better way for a Demon to leave its nest.

Have fun with it Mike!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

I have a pair of HS-625's on the elevons which ought to do just fine. They move easily and are sealed. I have three rates set up, e.g. elevator - 100%, 65%, 40%, with decreasing negative expo as you go through the three.
Mike, there are two servos that I won’t touch with a ten foot pole, the HS-625MG and the JR ST125MG. The 625 has poor centering and excessive back lash or it soon will have, and the pots go bad quickly. If you insist on using those servos, give them the mechanical advantage (shorter arms) this will help reduce the first two issues with it at the expense of control surface travel and speed.

The ST125s have killed at least 4 planes and almost one of mine at my field that I know of. These servos had a very narrow dead band, so much so they eat up batteries or the electrical noise they generated blinded the receiver.

I can only speak from my own personal observations. These two types of servos were early models and may have had these issues resolved, but I won’t take the chance.

Hitec and JR make great stuff and I have a lot of both, every brand has some dogs.

For launch on my Diamond Dust I set the aileron expo at a very low level with moderate rate of throws. Once it’s tracking and before it’s up to speed, I switch to 100% expo with high rates. I have found this eliminated a vicious over correcting cycle that I had from time to time at launch. The elevator settings are left same from start to finish with 100% expo with high rates. You may wish to reduce the rates at first or for other users. I launch at 45* with the right wing down a bit and I feed in just a bit of right aileron. Mr. Connor may have a different or better way for a Demon to leave its nest.

Have fun with it Mike!

Good stuff to know - I will keep an eye on those servos. Today is sucking so far - nice blue sky and winds gusting to 30mph. I hope it calms down later. But I'm heading out to run the .65 for now as consolation.

Thanks!

MJD
Old 05-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

...I launch at 45* with the right wing down a bit and I feed in just a bit of right aileron. Mr. Connor may have a different or better way for a Demon to leave its nest...
The Demon and Dust are very similar to launch and fly. Your method works well for me.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

...I launch at 45* with the right wing down a bit and I feed in just a bit of right aileron. Mr. Connor may have a different or better way for a Demon to leave its nest...
The Demon and Dust are very similar to launch and fly. Your method works well for me.
That's pretty much how I plan to do it, er, have it done. 7:30pm here and the winds have barely let up. Might get a quick window of calm later but the day is dwindling.

MJD
Old 06-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Wiggy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

Here is a video of a Dust being launched. I use a similar method except that Ihold the plane on my left side and launch it a bit more knife edge. The torque seems to level the wing without elevon input. When Iget it right, it will fly away without touching the sticks. When Iget it wrong, it is very easy to control since the speed is low and it does not over react to control input. Iuse only one rate with expo. No switches to get in the wrong position. At my age, things need to be very simple or Iwill forget what to do. I really had trouble with dual rates because Icould not remember whitch rate Ihad the plane in. After a couple "mishaps" Iquit doing dual rates and my problems went away.

I think you will find your Demon is very easy to launch.

Wiggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyVJwspCKH8
Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, that works!

I'm sure it will be fine. No luck yesterday, the day was blown out big time. Maybe later today but I gotta pick up parts everywhere first..

MJD
Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

send you ST125mg back to JR they will send you new in box ST126.

I sent 4 of them in got 4 new ones back but one new ST126 was DOA!!!!