Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

DD control problems

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DD control problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DD control problems

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

MJD beat me to it.

Even a tiny bit of left thrust is bad mojo. Some guys put a tiny bit of right thrust in just to be sure that no LT is accidentally introduced. Whenever I tighten any engine into its' mount, I always reef the engine to the right, even if the idea is to have a zero-zero thrust line.

I've never experienced this problem with any of my deltas, except for when I forget to program equal amounts of servo travel into all 4 quadrants of stick movement.
Next time I pull the engine, me and the Dremel tool are going to tunnel some sideplay into the bolt holes, I am still barely at zero if I am, and there's definitely no right thrust.

MJD
Old 06-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hotrodblazer

I have an older [10 years +] DD that I have recently pulled out of the rafters and started flying.Also a older one in the box that I plan to build and stuff my OPS 45 into.
What changes were introduced to stiffen up the later Diamond Dusts?Is there a link to the differences?
The one I am flying now has a ST45 on it,but will get a K&B 6.5 rear exhaust Quickee as soon as I get adjusted to flying it.
My current Dust is an older one and does not have the mod. There are a few threads mentioning it but may be hard to find. Not sure if it was to stiffen the airframe as much as to reduce the open bay size for ease of covering. I would PM skylab or post in the "Diamond Dust lives" thread about a page below this one if no one chimes in. It would be an easy mod on the one your are about to build.

Edit - The mod is two 1" strips of Solartex accross the top and bottom of the plane. The manual is available on the Dust web site and explains how to install it. The reason to use it isn't real clear but it may be more for covering issues considering large open bays.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

OK I found 2 things today that could be the cause of my problems...

First I checked the plane to see if it was straight again on my building table in my basement. Within 1/32". I took the plane outside in the 85+deg plus and set it in the sun for about an hour. Checked it outside and the left wing was about 3/32" lower at the leading edge on the outermost rib. I tightened the ultracote on opposite sides to pull the plane out of square 1/32" in the opposite direction. Set it in the sun again and it was perfect.

Second I found that I do have about 1/16"-3/32" of left thrust. Also it just came to me that since the last time I flew the plane with no problems I have removed the engine for cleaning!!!!

Hopefully between these two things corrected the problem will go away!!!

Also I did a very extensive radio, battery, regulator, servo and control surface check and found nothing wrong. Testing included a 10 minute work out on the servos where I put some weight on the plane and blocked up the plane on the elevons. I moved them up and down slowly and quickly for 10 minutes. No heat build up in the servos or the regulator. No voltage drop either. I am convinced that whatever problem I have is a airframe problem.

Has anyone had one of these airframes fail in flight? If so where was the breaking point?

Thanks for al the ideas!!
Ryan
Old 06-28-2009, 12:41 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good work BB. Hopefully you've got it licked. One other thing that doesn't apply to you........if you try to pull a tight loop with a nose heavy plane, you'll drop a wing panel. A nose heavy plane is effectively "heavier" than one that is balanced correctly.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:08 AM
freakingfast

I had a similar problem a few months back. I turned out to be the centering of the right stick gimbal was too weak and when I slam it back I'd inadvertently pull it a tiny bit off center. It took a while before I discovered what problem was. I opened the transmitter and tightened the adjustment.....problem solved
Old 06-28-2009, 02:41 AM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

Has anyone had one of these airframes fail in flight? If so where was the breaking point?
If you build it as instructed(*)and it hasn't been crashed you cant kill this thing by anything you can think of in the air. I take my DF engine powered clipped wing strait down full power and when it reaches terminal velocity I than pull out hard with quick-full 45* deflection using Hitec 300+ in. oz. servos. If that won't kill it nothing will. Probably well over 46Gs!

(*) If you use heavier than AAA batterys, you may want to reinforce the area under the battery if your flight setup is extreme . (glass mat across the inside bottom and up the sides of the main ribs or use plywood instead of the balsa and tri-stock fillet to the main ribs.) I do add two extra CA hinges (evenly spaced) to each side on an extreme Dust.

Do inspect the CA hinge/ covering hinge for tares or failure, my standard YS 45 powered Dust blew out two outboard CA hinges on each side at the same moment. I saved it with a few inches to spare off the deck. This happened after about 250 flights I think.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

OK I found 2 things today that could be the cause of my problems...

First I checked the plane to see if it was straight again on my building table in my basement. Within 1/32''. I took the plane outside in the 85+deg plus and set it in the sun for about an hour. Checked it outside and the left wing was about 3/32'' lower at the leading edge on the outermost rib. I tightened the ultracote on opposite sides to pull the plane out of square 1/32'' in the opposite direction. Set it in the sun again and it was perfect.

Second I found that I do have about 1/16''-3/32'' of left thrust. Also it just came to me that since the last time I flew the plane with no problems I have removed the engine for cleaning!!!!

Hopefully between these two things corrected the problem will go away!!!
I think you've just discovered two seemingly small but in truth, likely quite significant issues. I bet your next flights are a different story.

On my #1 model, which I had the engines in and out of more times than the number of times it has flown, if I mount the West .50 I have to hold the engine to the right while I torque the screws.. otherwise I end up with a touch of left thrust. Next time I have it apart I'll dremel away the .010" of wood or whatever detritus that is pushing on the side of the bearers to misalign it, or open up the holes a drill size or so, that might lick it.

MJD
Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for all your advice and help. I will hopefully get to take it out this week and see how it performs. I will let you know how it turns out!

Ryan