Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Scat Cat

Old 06-24-2003, 03:41 AM
Scott Godbee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

I recently acquired an old Scat Cat. And want to try my hand at racing.

It has a Webra .32 with stock pipe. What Can I do to it without breaking my wallet to bump the 150 mph mark? Is that realistic for a Scat Cat?

Will a pipe do it, or am I wasting my time with the .32?

Would a .40 be too big for this plane.

I know a Nelson would do it, but like I said, money is tight. Also I want a throttle on it so I can work up to that speed.

Any thoughts from the speed Gods?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 12:17 PM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Skat Cat

.32= waste of time - Yes a Nelson would work! - Skat Cat was designed for a .40.

See my post on thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthrea...522&forumid=162

This is the MINIMUM power you need for 150
Old 06-24-2003, 03:49 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

150 mph with a scat cat will be tough without a Nelson or Jett .40.

An O.S. .46fx or most other sport .46 sized engines should get you to 120 mph.

Engines that would probably get you closer would be the Webra .50, Rossi Q500, or I believe MVVS has a q500 engine available. These are cheaper than the Nelsons/Jetts, but won't be as fast either.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:25 PM
JT Hammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

I put an OS .46 with pipe on my Scat Cat a few years ago. It was quick but not as quick as my G.P. Patriot, or Cermark F20 with similar engines! I can't see the Scat Cat doing 150mph though!

Pappy
Old 06-25-2003, 01:58 AM
jlong34016

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default scat cat

have one with a dc 40. turns 9x7 at 16000 on the ground. flies at 112 mph in level flight.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:43 AM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

I'd buy that webra if it is in good condition. Send me a PM
Old 06-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Scott Godbee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

Well you guys pretty much told me what I feared already. Maybe its a good thing right now that I can't achieve that kind of speed until I get a little more time with it under my belt. I know its breaking 100 now. I bought from a guy who used to pylon race at our club. He assures me it'll do 125. I don't think its doing that fast, but I don't have anything to guage it either. Though he did win almost every race they had with it too. Who knows, maybe it is that fast.

Thanks for the replies and useful info. I'll just have to save my lunch money until I can afford a tighter engine. Until then Malibu, I'll take real good care of the .32, and give you a shout if I am ready to part with it.

BTW ewspears, your hit for that thread didn't work. Is it just me? I am interested in reading it. Can you try it again?

Thanks a million guys......

Scott
Old 06-25-2003, 10:29 AM
ewspears

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

Scott,
Sorry my link didn't work. The post I was trying to direct you to was one I made on 6-19 to the thread "Predator 500" It is also in "Extreme Speed Prop Planes"
There is a photo of a 20 year old Scat Cat that will do close to 150. It was presented in that thread as the most power/$ option
to go fast. Kind of the same question you have.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 AM
ewspears

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

Scott,
Sorry my link didn't work. The post I was trying to direct you to was one I made on 6-19 to the thread "Predator 500" It is also in "Extreme Speed Prop Planes"
There is a photo of a 20 year old Scat Cat that will do close to 150. It was presented in that thread as the most power/$ option
to go fast. Kind of the same question you have.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Scott Godbee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

Got it, Thanks EW.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:01 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

I love the Scat Cat! I used to have one and flew it for about 14 years. It was a fun plane to fly and fast.

I had an OS 46 in it with pipe and even though not a high end engine it turned some heads. That has to be one of my favorite planes I think I used to own. Not to long ago I decided to try to land it in a tree while talking and not paying attention.

Ahh R.I.P
Old 06-30-2003, 08:06 PM
ksblast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

Scott,
They are great flying racers. Can you find maybe a member that really knows 2 cycle glow engines. (old school) They could then show you how to take a normal 40 size abc engine and make a screamer out of it. Stuff like polishing the piston,crank, intake port etc. Filling in the front of the intake port. Creating a bell intake with needle valve. Enlarging the exhaust port, changng compression. Just some of the things that the old timers had to do on their own before the store bought nelsons.
Have fun,
Sincerely
Karl Schultz
Old 06-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Scott Godbee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

I apologize for not keeping you guys updated on my little plane. Well, I wrote that message the night of the first day I had the plane. I bought the plane at the LHS and headed straight to the field. I have since learned that EVERYTHING the guys at the shop say, are not entirely gospel. I was told that the plane would take 125 on first flight. So when I got to the field and it didn't go much faster than my fun fly, I was disappointed. After letting it sit in my shop for a few days. I went out there and started tinkering with it. First thing I found was the linkage was not properly set, so the carb wasn't opening up fully. Also I come off another dollar, and bought a bit better glow plug. Also after talking to a guy, who knew the guy, who used to own this plane, said that it has been setting up for about 6 months. So with the latter adjustments made, and ring the thing out every chance I get, I HUGE improvement has evolved. I still haven't got the engine tuned just right though. I first had problems getting it to peak. I did ask a couple of the clubs some what well known glow mechanics to lay hands on it. Well I get it to peak, and also found what I think is the right prop, but mid range throttle is horrible. It idles a little higher than I would like, but any lower setting and it tends to die. I know what you will say. The low end is out of adjustment, but when you set that for good idle, and smooth throttle increase, I lose top end. I guess it will just take time to find the right sweet spot. I have been a big Thunder Tiger fan, since I my first trainer. Every one I have ever had has been perfect. Even break in was easy. I have been told that a webra is not as user friendly as the TT, but puts out gobs more power once it is tuned. I am just gonna have to play with it, and learn from my mistakes.

Thanks to you all for your replies, and suggestions. I am very fond of the plane now that I am getting the bugs out of it. It is really the best flying craft I have ever flown. I get the same kudos from the guys at the club whom I trust not to crash it. They are really surprised how well it handles. Flies like its on rails, even in a stiff wind.

Scott
Old 07-01-2003, 12:47 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

I am glad you are having fun with the plane. There is not 1 solution to flying fast. It takes many, many small adjustements to get the full potential out of a plane.

Keep working with it, sounds like you are having fun, and that is what it is all about.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 AM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

Try to find a pylon racing prop, like Rev-Up Racing. It will not peak untill it unloads in the air, but once you get the right size for your app., it will scream.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Scott Godbee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Scat Cat

LS,

Yea, I have found that an APC 8.5x7.5 gets the best results so far. The mutual flyer that I spoke of above also suggested that prop, since it was the one he run in the races.

Old 07-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default scat cat

I'm flying a 20% reduced sized scat cat (37 1/2" ws) with a K&B 21 that clocked at 126 mph. Also flying a clipped wing version (46"ws) with a 7 year old Jett 46 clocked last month with a 5mph breeze at 151 mph. Just build them superlight with carbon spar and 3/16 balsa and they will scream with any good engine! I once flew the Jett powered one in a 40 mph wind and bet it was doing 200 mph. Even though it was impressive, it wasn't fun. Just scary. Paul :spinnyeye