Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

sundowner and ST 2000?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:58 PM
dschroeder
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default sundowner and ST 2000?

I have the big sundowner, and have a super tigre 2000 (italian made) sitting in the closet. will this be enough engine to fly the airplane?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:33 PM
mk1spitfire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: sundowner and ST 2000?

20cc glow?

I'm sure it will with right prop, small diameter/big pitch for speed but if you want more performance than I recommend a moki 1.8 or 2.10.

Go easy on the elevator so it doesn't snap in the turn.

Heres my vid with the fantastic moki 1.8 with 16x12 on no nitro for your reference.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTLrzRzURs[/youtube]

Old 07-18-2009, 09:37 PM
still4given

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a ST 2300 in my Sundowner and it is more than adequate. I doubt it will hang with the Moki but it flies it well.

Blessings, Terry
Old 07-19-2009, 02:17 AM
dschroeder
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

got the ST engine today...its a supertigre 2000 but stamped on the lug is 25CC so its a little bigger than i thought. what muffler setup are you running on your sundowner with the ST engine? do you have any pics of the cutouts you had to make in the cowl?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dschroeder

I have the big sundowner, and have a super tigre 2000 (italian made) sitting in the closet. will this be enough engine to fly the airplane?
Defnitely enough nose weight, but the ST2000 is a milktoast-tuned lump of metal that is not going to set the wings on fire despite its displacement.

Okay, re next post - you have an ST 2500, not 2000 - that's what the stamp is about. A bit better, sure it will fly it and probably well, but it's not a hot shot engine. These engines were built as alternatives to typical gas engines of the time, and were lighter than those at least, but weren't high revvers or performance tuned in any way. They like reduced oil and modest nitro - 10-12% oil, with a chunk or all of it castor, and 5% nitro works fine. There are/were fuels labelled "large ST fuel" or something like that, which met these specs.

A 2500 will crank a 16-10 in the high 8's (ooh..). Common complaints with the 2000/2500 engines is the carb. If you are good at setting ST carbs then fine, but performance and carburetion were improved with an OS 7D carb or equivalent.

The ST2300 is a totally different engine - newer, smaller, lighter, and better performance.

MJD