Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Diamond Dust experience?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 PM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Dust experience?

I have an LT-40 kit built trainer that I'm pushing to it's limits. Done some mods to the wing to make it more aerobatic. I got a foamy to practice 3D. I'm a very proficient pilot. Is the Dimond Dust to advanced as my next plane? I love speed and the Dust slows down great for landing (it's sooo light). I was thinking maybe build it with a nice 40 and a tuned pipe. I'm a very experienced builder so the build isn't a problem. Should I get a low wing (or mid wing) plane before I fly the Dust? I think I have enough skill to pilot it but I need some good opinions. If you guys say it's to advanced then I'll just build a nitro somethin extra.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:41 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Diamond Dust experience?

You may be able to handle it 90% of the time if you don't put a super hot motor in it and stick to mild throws. The problem will be if something out of the ordinary happens. Then that 10% gets exciteing.

Really only you know your skills and abilities....
Old 08-02-2009, 03:50 PM
qwertypemdas

Thx. I'm getting a nice computer radio for christmas so i can do the whole dual rates and tons of expo. I might go with a TT .36 because it will stay down to about 120mph so I hear. It just seems like gobs of fun to blast by and do circles around other planes (responsibly of coarse) and then glide in for a nice smooth landing. I really can;t think of anything more fun. And the kit is all laser-cut includes literally everything and at only $75, I can't believe it. I seriously can't dream of anything better.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you can drag the fin of your trainer on the runway and lift off again, you're ready to move on.

For beginners with a delta, keep the weight below 3 pounds with a .40. A 10x4 prop will give you plenty of thrust for learning hand launches......it will accelerate the model to flying speed the quickest. As you gain confidence, move through the range of props that will pick up speed, 10x5, 9x6, 9x7.

Edit.....Yah, the TT .36 sounds like a great choice!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
qwertypemdas

Ok, thx. I'll order the kit once my build space clears up. I'm selling some stuff because it's getting crowded in the shop.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 PM
freakingfast

Ahhhh, the Kadet LT-40! Both my son and I had one each when we were learning to fly fixed wings 7 years ago. Rugged plane, but they didn't last in my son's hands when he started to "hot dog". He ripped off the wings after putting his in a speed dive then slamming full up elevator the wings departed, it lawn darted. He borrowed mine and while doing a near rudder dragging inverted high speed pass, he got spooked and pulled...the end of #2[&o]. Did you know you can do a knife edge loop with those things if you have a strong 46, tuned muffler and enough rudder deflection?

Anyways, so much for the reminiscing.
I think you are on the right track with a speed delta and engine choice. Don't launch with too much expo on the roll axis, you want control "Tight" at launch, than once it's tracking use your rate switch to change expo and full rates. REMEMBER, you have a throttle, slow it down if it gets to be a bit much(fast & wild), it will be much easier at 1/4 throttle. This is where I see most guys get into trouble, they forget or refuse to pull back on power. combatpigg's prop advice will help you there.

As for doing "circles around other planes", you will find most other fliers will land in fear, want to watch or cant tell where the heck you are and want down.
For good field etiquette, I get my plane ready to start and wait for a lull, when no one's flying. You don't want to tick off the other fliers. Keep the high speed passes out there at a safe distance. As you get better and others have more faith in you, the passes can get closer, but generally no closer than the far side of the runway.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:17 PM
qwertypemdas

Thank you very much for the advice. Sad to here your son did in 2 LT-40's, lol, that might be my trainers fate as well. Yay, my biggest concern is launching the Diamond Dust. I love landings because I've done about 5000 in the simulator. I learned fast and they say the Dust just glides in.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 PM
freakingfast

Nose up 45*, right wingtip down a bit, full power, hand ready on the right stick and let go. Yours is light, so you don't need to push (which can mess things up if done wrong).
Don't over think this thing.....just do it, no big deal.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
qwertypemdas

In my vast experience with paper airplane designing and testing. I learned be examining throw movements that the number 1 cause of CATO launches is wrist movement. If you know what you're doing you can throw any plane into perfect level flight. This is an un-neccesary post in an effort to say Thx for the reply.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Wiggy

Here is a video on how to launch a Dust by yourself. Notice that the top of the plane is toward you since the torque will roll it to the left and help level the wing. This is very easy to do and there is little chance of failure if you throw it with the nose slightly above the horizon. Do not launch straight up or into the ground and it will fly out of your hand. I wear a neck strap so I can advance the throttle with my right hand and toss the Dust with my left. This way I already have my right thumb on the stick when I release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyVJwspCKH8

I hope this helps, Wiggy
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but I disagree that is the way to launch. There are many ways but holding the plane by the pipe or something on center and a nice gentle straight underhand toss is the best. Anything that induces a yaw while throwing is not good.

On mine I had a FIRE motor and simply folded up a paper towel so I could grasp the tuned pipe some where around or forward of the CG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53813.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1249229  
Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Try a Screamin Demon out, you'll like its tendancies.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
qwertypemdas

Thx all for more replies. I guess it's about the same as launching my foamy. Just let go or give it a little push. I'll be ordering the kit in the next few weeks once I get some stuff done. I'll make a thread in kit building titled "Diamond Dust build thread" lol
Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 AM
qwertypemdas

hmmm, ok, just got back from the field. yeah... "I" crashed. But I have a great excuse!!!! I've been having major engine troubles with my evolution 40NT (all bad reviews on this engine). I was taking off, flying a few seconds then landing to adjust the engine. I did this about 7 times not thinking about fuel. At my field we have "the pit". It's a HUGE man made bowl a few hundred feet deep, almost vertical walls and a few hundred feet length and with. I was coming in to land and refuel after I finally got my engine tuned (maybe tuned), I was right over the pit a bit far out so I dicided to throttle up to get over the runway (duh). I didn't hear the engine when I throttled up so I shouted dead stick! Well the plane was to low to glide in, so it went down in the pit, there is a 10 foot burm in front of the pit so you can't see it, my LT-40 was over a massive pit, out of site, engine dead, with a pilot on his 5th solo flight (who never had a deadstick before), and a year of hard work and money has about to hit the vertical rocky wall of "The Pit". The damage is repairable, the wing joint is a little srewed up, the fuselage buckled, the wing mounts popped out (taking some fuse with it), the engine needs a rebuild (ARG!!), and some minor things like the servo tray and prop. The worst thing is the engine, I need to replace the bearings because they are all loose and grindy now and it has been acting up in past flights. It's completely disassembled now and the rear bearings as well as the crankshaft are all RED!!! The are red and gritty like rust! I use green fuel so is this red c*** normal? I hear terrible things about evolution engines. I took some pix of the crankshaft. What concerns me is that the red stuff almost feels sandy, I know that sandy grit on the back of your crankshaft is not good no matter what. So all projects are pushed back until I rebuild my trainer/wing and engine. I can't blame the engine for the crash because I ran out of fuel. Also the engine starts withind maybe a tenth of a second of aplying the starter. Super easy to start and it runs great on the table but as soon as I start down the runway it goes super retarded on me and never revs past about half the normal rpm's. Also, in the air, half throttle is higher than full throttle. The problem is the same even when the mixture is lean perfect or rich. Is the red "rust" responsible for this? Should i just screw it and get a TT or OS? Hmmm. It really sux not haveing a plane in the air, I'm going to miss the field funfly this weekend. I need info plz.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 AM
combatpigg

I'd get the OS .46. It should see you through many years of service.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 AM
qwertypemdas

I know, but I need to sell more stuf to get an OS (or mow more lawns), I here that the new 46's suck. i hear the cylinder sleeve lining peels. lol
Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 AM
qwertypemdas

I plan on upgrading the engine anyways. The plane is over 8lb with fuel and it's a .39 engine!!! lol
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
combatpigg

I can't believe OS sells junk that is failing in large numbers. If you run hobby store fuel with only 18% oil and set the needle a little bit too lean, too much prop, then any engine will overheat and eventually fail. Use quality fuel with at least 20% oil or more.

Dude, 8 pounds for a .40 sized trainer is ridiculous. More repairs will only make it heavier.
A plane that heavy will destroy engines at impact.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 PM
qwertypemdas

I just flew like 10 flights at the field. I'm getting REALLY bored with my trainer now. I'm flying inverted inches off the ground and it barely has enough power to leave the ground (seriously). It's like 8.5lb now with a troublesome .39 engine. I'm finding I'm running full throttle the entire time just to putt around in an oval. I tryed some speed passes with a higher pitch prop and the top speed is probably like 30 mph. Can't wait to get a DDust in the air along with some overpowered sport planes.