Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Cheap speed plane

Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap speed plane

Here you go, Pred II wings clipped to 38", Jett 50 & short pipe, apc 9.25 pitch. Havent had a tach or radar yet, appears to be going faster than my high dollar q500 with a Nelson 40.
Lots of questions on this forum about what plane to get to go fast. Highly recommend this type of setup for affordable speed. No major mods to the plane besides table sawing the wing. Glassed the inside of the fire wall and glued the hatch on. Tail incidence was way off, didn't check it before I flew. Had to use a heat gun to remove the tail and reset. Had about 2 degrees neg stock. Had to turn the throws way down from recommended.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Cheap speed plane

Yep...

Thats the combination ! Clipped Q-500, SJ-50, bunch of prop

(although I usually take the 8.8x9.25 and take the diameter down to 8.25 or so... just to get the ground rpm up a bit)

Same sorta setup with a TT46pro + jettstream + 8.8x8.5 works quite well too.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

While it may be a bit faster in the straights, do you notice it bleeding off more speed in the tight turns from a lower aspect ratio? I have been doing some reading about aspect ratios and was just wondering if there is a trade off.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Not really, hard to tell at this speed though. Doesnt seem to pull as hard in the turns as a regular wing if that makes any sense.