Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Flat plate wing thing

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Flat plate wing thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flat plate wing thing

ORIGINAL: lfinney

cp

the batteries i like are the A123 LiFe cells, rigth now you can by 4s packs for 35.00 each on fleecebay, they have the absolute best c rating to be had, and dont puff or whine under extreme load....i bought 8 packs NIB for my foray into electric mayhem lifespan exceeds 1000 cycles.
All I can find is 2300 mAh batteries and then you have to make your own packs. Does someone sell 4S packs made up and does A123 make more then a 2300 mAh cell? I quess you could run two packs in parallel.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 AM
iron eagel

That is the problem with A123 packs they have produced only a few combination of packs and it has limited their sales within the hobby applications. In order to get them to work in rc aircraft you have to make up your own combination of series and parallel arrangements. I have opted for the high voltage setup in a couple of planes but due to the size/weight have of the cells have stuck to using them in larger airframes. I do not think that they are at this point in any risk of going bankrupt they are frying much larger fish: http://www.a123systems.com/. The hobby market is not their primary target at this point. I am using their three cell packs in series and have opted for the higher voltage esc's and motors because of this. Two 3 cell packs in series gives you a solid 18.5 volts for a good period of time at 69 amps. You can charge them from dead to full capacity in 15 minutes (don't try that with a li-pol), but they are a bit heavier than li-pols, but hard to beat as far as the life, capacity, and amount of cycles they will endure. With a fresh charge they peak out at over 20 volts then they drop off to 18.5 but they hold that level right up till the end when they drop off (sag). The down side for those interested in the hobby application of their products it that to them we are not worth the effort so we have to roll our own. I have seen a few ads on the web about people making up and selling their packs, I have just made up my own out of their stock combos and used them in larger airframes.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

http://myworld.ebay.com/kaga0015/ is the source right now for the 36 dollar 4S A123 packs, here is a link well worth reading regarding everyday high performance usage of these type of cells...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65...tm.htm#6614191
Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Mike Connor

Not too bad but the A123 weighing 40% more then the LiPo is the deal breaker for me. Especially for $14 difference. Plus the LiPo is smaller. The charging rate, fires and explosions I will deal with.
http://xtremepowersystems.net/products.php?cat=16
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70555.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1259879  
Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

123's are heavy and are a pain to charge as they top out at 3.6v not traditional lipo charger cut off of 4.2. - there are workarounds though.
I use them in 4s2p to power my big sullivan motor starter but do not use them in airborne packs.

Hey Mike can you design something with a fuse next time?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

Hey Mike can you design something with a fuse next time?
Sounds like a lot of work to me.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

no puffin and much higher C ratings are what most speeders neeed, plus much faster charge times