Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

New whiplash priced doubled..Hey ACM come on!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New whiplash priced doubled..Hey ACM come on!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 04:27 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New whiplash priced doubled..Hey ACM come on!!

Well, I was anticipating the new whiplash extreme with high hope but now I must say I am extremely decepointed....The
new whiplash is visually the same as the old one but now priced at $399.99 with no paint on it!! Even worse, you have to pay an additinal $25.00 to get a basic color on it. Talk about ``slightly more expensive``like they told me. Don't get me wrong! I am not saying that to hurt ACM, The ACM product are top quality but in any way its fair to double the price of the new whiplash!!!

$399.00 for a non painted composite wing is not right in my book...Oh, perhaps I am wrong, I am not god after all.

Just my 2 cents.

Serge
Old 03-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Cactus.

You got it wrong!!!!!!!
its 399.95 SEE! a whole 4 cents
This bits scary.......
Airbrushed schemes are available too for additional $180.00
isnt that more than a Magnum ARFT???? hell, you've got a whole plane for the price of a Whip kit
Thats a hell of a price for a plane that cant be fixed if you ding the wing too bad

i think they shot them selves in the foot this time... a crashed one or two and we have the wing templates... then cut a foam wing.. use the laying cloth on a pain of glass skining techequine ( or just use some 1/64 ply if you must ) and bingo. you can even make it more aerodynamic and hide the tank compleatly with a fairing behind the engine to cut drag off that too...

I think all the price like this will do is increase sales of the new Dust. It dosnt need super servos just to move the stiff elevons either.

yikesssss
Old 03-06-2003, 07:20 PM
jlong34016

Default price

Considering we all paint them ourselves anyway i don't think its too outrageous to pay 400 for a complete airframe. It does come with the pushrods and horns and maybe the pushrod ends i would think. The fin is carbon fiber as well. I hope the hinging is also fixed up by now too. I already have two but im sure i can sell one or both for the latest and greatest thing in this class. I wish i had waited on spiderman airbrushing for the new model. The weather didnt cooperate and i still havent flown it yet.

I would wait for the reviews to come in before i started throwing stones. Remember you get what you pay for. Just because its small doesnt mean its not as valuable as any other plane out there. Other composite planes are about the same price. We should be happy with the bargain we got on the first two batches.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Hammbone2

That Figures,Im not inpressed with the Whiplash any how let along a price increasse. its heavy,slow and Way over priced, I will never buy another one, there launcher is a cheap POS too..These people are to lazy,I mean Cheap,they ship through the US Mail and it late 99% of the time,I forget the many times i had to call theses people to check on my slow order. for the amount of money they could have used UPS it would have gotten here quicker.No I'm not inpressed with any of part of there company,let alone the way the plane is made. When I got my kit it looked as if someone had hacked the ailerons has been cut sloppily shure isnt straight. Poor excuse of a plane and and service if you ask me and now there asking for more money. LOL good Joke April is next month.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:32 PM
serge1

Default ya

I would have pay a light price increase for the extreme version but now the cost is ridiculous!! 200 more bucks is simply not justified.

The old Whiplash at $199.95 was reasonably priced but now you have to pay the double just for a lite update without any paint on it. I wont pay that price for a simple composite wing!! Come on!! there is no special or secret material in that thing!! thats just a composite wing!!

This is not the right way to thank all of the people who made the original whiplash a huge success...

Serge
Old 03-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Cactus.

When it first came out i thought it was a CF one piece hollow wing, using lost foam or something, you know, real light and hi-tec..That WOULD be worth the cost, but after seeing a crash pic it was just foam with a composite skin.
My biggest problem with it was the unrepairability. Its nearest rival the Dust has so few components that you can replace the Ply, and maybe one or two rods that break and you've got a new one, the Whippy was going to be a new kit please sir. and yes i do accept the Whip will survive a larger impact than a Dust before you have to do something. I also never believed that thing about stiff elevons stop flutter, no.. they just kill servos..
Anyway, I'm not bashing the original Whip which has taken the market by storm and all credit to it..
But if you want to save money hows this for a ARTF
001 DIAMOND DUST - 34.5"
kit $64.95
ARC $99.95
ARTF $149.95

CLIPPED WING DUST - 30"
Kit $64.95
ARC $99.95
ARTF $149.95

All that extra $ to put into a better engine

hell if you all want to pay me £250 ( gezz, that IS! a Magnum + West 50, oooo Dust and West 50 yummy ) a kit i'll learn how to mould solid CF forms and kit my delta design
Old 03-06-2003, 09:59 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

I bought one of the originals for $169.00. The other day I checked their webpage, because I was going to order another one for back up until I saw the price of the new one. They say the new one is a pound lighter and all Kevlar and Rohacell. Why don't they still offer the original one? Hopefully they will see this thread and consider selling the original one again. I just bought an Interceptor ducted fan jet. It is all fiberglass fuse w/formers installed, foam sheeted flying surfaces and hardware for $495.00 and it is only a little slower. Top speed should be about 180mph.
Later,
Craig
Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Slocum

I was wanting one but I thought that $199 was on the high end. Diamond dust to same point about $75.

That is not them shooting them self in the foot. That was shooting them self IN THE HEAD!

Case Closed!
Old 03-06-2003, 11:06 PM
jlong34016

Default resale

Looks like there might be a good resale market for the original whiplash. I have two, what am i bid?

I have the dust also. Its more of a kite with an engine than a plane. Its a little scary to me. It feels like it will fall apart just running the engine.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Cactus.

Take the Dust apart.. give it a Whip section and re-sheet with thin ply before you cover, bingo, a Dusty-whip at a fraction of the cost and weight.
My Dust may only be covered in SolarFilm and Solartex on the bottom, but i have no fear of it coming to bits. i know if i get a little to low on a pass that all is not lost as well and i'll get a chance to re-build it different
Old 03-06-2003, 11:30 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default New Whip..

I traded for the 2nd generation (Whiplash X I believe, not Extreme) and haven't flown it. It's totally rigged out, ready to fly.

In the meantime I bought another DDust.

So even though I've not flown the Whip, I don't think I did too bad with my trade.

But I ain't no way paying $400 for one.

And don't be afraid of the Diamond Dust. I had countless flights on mine before I got too low and too stupid at the same time. Sure, I had a couple of patches on it..still a lot of fun for the $$$.

I sure miss it, I think it's just about a must have.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:16 AM
Flipper
My Feedback: (3)

I was waiting for the new improved Whip to come out and I thought it was going to be the same price with improvements. When I saw the price I ordered the Dust and all 4 of the Realflight add-ons instead. IMHO, way to much.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:24 AM
jlong34016

Default 400 dollar lash

Anyone who got the spiderman whiplash paid the 400 dollars. I am one of them. I dont think that is unreasonable. But i wont pay 600 for a new spiderman plane. Perhaps this is what they were thinking with the pricing. Tap into that extra people were willing to pay. I bet they worked like dogs producing all those planes for little return. Now they need something to show for their efforts. So sell alot less planes and have alot less work and make more money. Basic economics.Still a great value.

To compare this to the Interceptor like previous post is only half the story. Sure the DF plane only cost 500 dollars to buy but are you going to hand launch and belly land that thing? What do the retracts, wheels, brakes,pneumatic hardware servos and valves run you? Probably more than two new whiplashes. Compare that to $0.00 for the lash.

As far as the DD goes..I need to heat gun prior to every day of flight. Major pain. What is my time worth?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:17 AM
ChuckAuger

Default Give me a break..

If you have to heat gun a DDust before everytime you take it out, you are doing something wrong. Might spend some of that time practicing your covering skills. Mine was over a year old and I never had to re-heat it. Like I said I patched to bottom a couple of times, that's it!

Oh and get this...it was covered in Monokote.

The time I spent on touching up my covering vs the price of a new $400 whip?? Man, I need to go into business, I was making about $650 dollars/hr!!
Old 03-07-2003, 03:23 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

jlong34016,
The reason I was comparing the Interceptor is because there is a lot more work involved with the fuse and wings that there are in the Whip. I'm not comparing the completed plane. Just what you get for your money in kit form. So where is the extra price coming from? Actually I don't care since I allready have one, but I feel sorry for the people who where waiting for one and thought it was still going to be around $200.00.
Later,
Craig
P.S. The Interceptor is also made in the USA.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:49 AM
nun45

reckon i'll learn to like mine! wow, i thought the price of gas was getting ludicrous. is there a gold spar in there i don't know about? i was toying with the idea of scratching a dd, but now it will be a reality. the lash will hang off the ceiling with a little sign saying "one hit wonder"! and the guys that pay the money, ever think jet or heli?---henry
Old 03-07-2003, 04:14 AM
jlong34016

Default ultracote

Well Mr. Auger maybe i am doing something wrong. Any ideas? Its tight when i heat it but by the next week it is floppy loose. Maybe i should not have read the instructions like you or ignored them. Mine said dont use monocote. If by some chance your plane comes apart and injures someone you'll have a hard time defending that decision. In fact its probably criminal neglect. I'm surprised that you would do this given your other posts have shown you to be highly intelligent and thoughtful.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:28 AM
ChuckAuger

Default Give me another break!!

This is getting ridiculous...The instructions suggest you use Ultracoat. They don't say you will be criminally negligent if you don't!! Goddamn, it's just an airplane for crying out loud. I happen to hate Ultracoat and use Monokote on all my planes. Use whatever you like. To accuse me of endangeing people due to my choice of covering boggles my mind. Trust me Mr. jlong, my plane ain't coming apart.

I suggest you stomp your Diamond Dust and buy another Whiplash. Don't sue me if you get a splinter in your foot from punctured Ultracoat.

I also have GAPP fun fly planes that fly no more than 50 MPH..guess what!!! They also recommend Ultracoat. Guess what!! I didn't use it. If you go to the DiamondDustRc website, there are common building techniques for all their planes, Ultracoat being one.

So go freak out on somebody else, I ain't buying it.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:56 AM
FlooredCOBRA

I never had a problem with mine having wrinkles in it either. Then again I have never flown it in cold weather either. it may wrinkle then after i take it out of car, kinda like a balloon.

About the Lash i seen the update on the new design and was excited to see what it was all about. After I seen that price i swiftly closed out that screen.

I have thought about building another one and just sheeting it with light balsa and covering it after that. Even if it would not be covered with glass or some kind of Kevlar it would be more than just covering over the plane like normal. I just don't like that is is all hallow and has that dang drum sound to it at a certain rpm. Sometimes it just sounds like it is about to tear apart.

But I bet it would look cool doing it...lol
Old 03-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Cactus.

The reason mine is covered in Solartex on the bottom is because the covering blew off. OH HE USED SOLARFILM DANGEROUS.. no it came off because fuel got under the edge and a landing raised a little lip, the whole lot came off next flight. i covered in Tex on the bottom because it wont tear if i hit sheep $h*% all the edges are covered in diamond tape to stop lifting, all tears so far self inflicted during handling are also diamond tape covered.
when i built mine i added a bit more balsa, 2cm capping strips on the ribs too, it drums at idle, but full speed it sounds tight and doesn't echo at all. if i covered it again id use EasyCote which shrinks to a certain size depending on temp, not keep shrinking till its tight, which means that the sun wont effect it at all, My Dust unlimited is done in this and its great.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:32 PM
nun45

all of my dusts were done in monocote, and when i gave them away they were still tight!. i cannot believe what i just read, mr. long.covering is a preferrance, not an imperative. now back on the subject, -wasn't it called price gouging?===henry
Old 03-07-2003, 01:06 PM
jlong34016

Default covering

From diamonddustrc.com "Covering = We only use Ultra Coat or Ora cover. It adds to the overall strength of the airframe. In the cold, if you use other types of covering and you develop a pin hole, you run the risk of exploding all the covering off of the airframe."

I guess you don't fly in cold weather. I know it doesn't say how cold or what other coverings but i use what the manufacturer uses. Perhaps this was written before monocote was made and monocote may be "good enough".

How did we get off the topic? Oh yes, ChuckAuger said i didn't know how to cover a plane. Well apparently its the ultracote and the temperature changes. Given that, the whiplash is for me. No covering issues and i know it wont come apart due to anything i have or have not done.

These are not "just airplanes".

Just my 40,000 cents.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Flipper

I have been using Solartex or Colortex on all my (cheaper) fast planes to add strength. I don't think the dull fabric finish would have that much affect on top end. I am thinking about ordering an ARF DDust just as a spare and to see how well it is built, or maybe the ARC. Has anyone else tried one of these 2. Oh, to get back to the main reason for this thread, after sleeping on it I still think the price is way off on the Whip! Jeff
Old 03-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Cactus.

Actually... some would have you believe the rough finish will help with speeds as micro turbulence on the rough finish acts like little marbles on the air. something like that
Old 03-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this Whiplash perform. It weighs a ton and launches like brick. I would'nt give $10 for the whole thing to include the paint. One of my buddies has a DD and that is a nice little speedster and now they have a clipped wing out. Also where has all the hype gone to on the Magnum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.