Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston UK Magnum questions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston UK Magnum questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 08:18 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston UK Magnum questions

HI Guys.

I am new to RCU and I am a speed freak! I just ordered my first Magnum with the 50v1 engine and I wanted to know if it is all it claims to be ( 200 MPH ) and what tips/tricks I should know about the plane and the kit.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:39 PM
sydclement
My Feedback: (1)

Spend a day getting the ailerons slop free first.
Then you can spend 2 days getting the elevator linkage
operating smoothly.

Syd
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use high torque servos , 4-40 rods,
and like syd said, no sloppy links.

I put JR DS-8231 in my whiplash
Old 03-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

And 200 might be on the high side... maybe out of a long dive... if you have your pipe set really well...
Old 03-19-2003, 03:43 AM
Crazy4Flight

well it ids fron the UK maybe they ment KPH
Old 03-19-2003, 03:56 AM
Rudeboy

Originally posted by Crazy4Flight
well it ids fron the UK maybe they ment KPH
No, they really advertise 200 MPH... Great Brittain uses Imperial measurements too... they originate from there...

But anyway, if you only get 170 out of it, that's plenty fast for a plane that size. You'll have a hard time following it as it shoots through the skies...
Old 03-19-2003, 04:57 AM
flybike

Basically i say the same as Rudeboy. I got this plane as my first fast plane and it is all you could hope for. The arf is beautiful and the plane is incredibly fast. Maybe it won't win some race, but for sport flying it really hauls. It is hard to keep up with it. I used standard servos but the elevator one sometimes struggles to pull it out of a dive. My favorite prop so far is the APC 9x9. It takes off like a rocket. Have fun with your magnum. Hans
Old 03-19-2003, 03:01 PM
CFII1974

Thanks guys for all you input on this plane and kit. I can't wait until it comes in. I am hoping it will blow the socks off my patriot w/a Jett .46 on the nose. That plane is fast but I am looking for more speed and I think the magnum will be the right choice for me. I looked at the whiplash but I thought $400 for bare bones was a bit much. I will use a high-end servo on the elevator and then standard JR BB servos for ailerons and throttle. Sounds like most people are saying to use between an 8X8 to 9X8 APC. Any other comments or tips are welcome.
Thanks again guys..

Old 03-19-2003, 11:29 PM
RampRat

I recommend reading this thread.

One thing worth mentioning: Aim to get the CG between 130 and 135 mm. This seems to be the best CG for easy and slow landings. At 120 mm (Isn't that what is recommended in the manual?) you might have some problems keeping the nose up on landing.

Good luck! D
Old 03-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Gricey

I'm thinking about swapping to a mini servo on the throttle to cut down on airborne weight... any comments?
Old 03-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Crazy4Flight

servo swap will save about .7 oz over standard servo
i dont know the weight those sub micro they use in park flyers
possibly save even more.

at 150mph+ weight may not be as much as a factor as DRAG.

How clean you can keep the airframe...gap seal all hinge lines internal control horns, engine cowling, ect
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65141_14562.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	39223  
Old 03-24-2003, 04:00 AM
S.GREENIA

First flight of my MAGNUM today. I read many of these posts regarding this airplane some good some bad and blindly went ahead with purchase solely on its traditional wings and tail type airframe.
West engine plane combo with spinner. Futaba radio 8uaf Futaba 9202 BB servos. 10 oz Sullivan tank. Standard throws and additional 10% up elevator. CG at 135 mm -10 expo elevator -25 aileron expo and flew better on 80 % low rate aileron same expo. 9x7 APC prop. 10 % 20% lube Wildcat jet fuel.
My wing did not saddle in the fuselage correctly I had to cut and peel back the covering, saw threw the bottom balsa about center, flex the cup shape warp out of the wing front to rear re glue and fit much better to saddle.
Also shimmed both lower legs of the engine mount to correct thrust line. NO SCIENCE JUST LOOKED BETTER. Checked well with an incidence meter afterward.
First flight went very well. Launcher held it overhead slight push level release and this thing flew away minimal control on the sticks just tended to lean it up and away arcing right.
engine on the pipe unloaded nicely lots of speed fast passes, glad to have larger fuel tank.
Landing was predictable but as stated by others have lots of up elevator available and rearward CG. set up quickly point and shoot for runway flare and flop it on.
Great fun for the money. VERY FAST VERY FUN not much for acrobatics JUST RAW SPEED. SCOTT
Old 03-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Cactus.

I've not seen the wing seat fit on any of them yet, i have 1/8th balsa doublers on mine and will use sealent to fill the gap when the wings in place then that should give me a good seal. i also entend to top hinge my surfaces when i recover it. My pipes hidden away and it looks damn good like that even tho its a bit of a mess right now.
My tips are take a inch off the headder, richen up the bottom end to make it idle and try to fit a bigger tank.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:04 PM
CFII1974

Phill,

I saw your plane on your web page I like the pipe in the fuse. Looks like to much work for my first magnum. I would also like to get input on the fuel to use with the west engine. I plan on running 10% omega synthetic Castor blend. I know you are in the UK so maybe this would be a better question for someone in the states b/c you can get the recommended brand easily. Any thoughts on the fuel for the west engine??
Old 03-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Crazy4Flight

Scott,

what club do you fly at in S.E. Mi?

Bob UFO Highland MI
Old 03-26-2003, 03:43 AM
Crazy4Flight

Default Re: Weston UK Magnum questions

Originally posted by cfii1974
HI Guys.

I am new to RCU and I am a speed freak! I just ordered my first Magnum with the 50v1 engine and I wanted to know if it is all it claims to be ( 200 MPH ) and what tips/tricks I should know about the plane and the kit.
My buddy just got his Magnum. SWEET! Wing fit like a glove.

To help the speed factor, I have one suggestion:

The Trailing Edge of the verticle and horiz. stab and elevators are blunt, if they were tapered to a thickness of 1/32" ( .75mm) this would reduce drag. The way it is now creates a lot of turbulance as the airflow across the top and bottom come together.

look at the T.E. of the whiplash and other speed planes.
this drag reduction hint if fron an indoor freeflight and electric R/C pilot. Yes even in rubber powered "stick and tissue" planes the drag reduction is measurable in velocity and time aloft with the same # of turns on the rubber band.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Cactus.

We use Pryosynth 5-10% which is 100% synthetic as recommended. The castor just slows and gums the engines at these high speeds. I hear the green stuff in the round bottles is good, Coolpower isn't it?
Most of the work in mine is because of the GRRT engine, cranking over the West 50 and putting that in the canopy isn't really a hard job as long as you accept that some of the manifold will show, where as mine its all hidden, making a cowl is also a must if your going to that much trouble.
As far as i gather about the trailing edges, sharp edges with flat faces are safe, if rounded they could cause flutter as could a tapered surface if not quite right.
The air does get turbulent just behind the surface but it means the air around it is joined back together cleanly.
However, i might change my surfaces to top hinged when i recover to make them cleaner, i may also taper them.
At 170+ having the surface non fluttering is very important. My Fun flys surfaces are the same and i can fly top speed without fear of flutter.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:52 PM
CFII1974

yes coolpower is the green stuff and I have some of that already so that would not be a problem. My only concern would be for the bearings. Full synthetic seems to be a little harder on them. However I have no experience with this west motor and this may not be a valid concern for it. I know I have had problems in the past with overheating while running coolpower.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Cactus.

Proysynth has cooling agents and also 18% ( ish ) oil measured by volume if i remember correctly not mass which is better ( may be other way around, bad memory, but it's good stuff ) i have nice runny oil left on my planes after flying, not nasty sticky castor.
The West engine is a tunned Webra, nuff said about bearings then
There a few guys here running other fuels, hopefully they'll chip in
Old 03-27-2003, 04:16 AM
sydclement

Default Fuel

Put shields on the front bearing, front & back, to stop
the snot-nosing.
I use the new MAGNUM 20% YS fuel and OS (F)or YS plugs.
Cut the pipe 1/2 inch and start with an APC 9,9.
Then you can tweak from there.

Syd
Old 03-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Rudeboy

Default Re: Fuel

Originally posted by sydclement
Put shields on the front bearing, front & back, to stop
the snot-nosing.

Syd
You should see the plane my Saito 150 is on after a few flights...

I put new bearings in it, but the front bearing hes no seal (it was the only one I had around)...

The entire plane is covered in oil...lol. Literally from wingtip to wingtip!

Now that's snot-nosing for ya... I have no need for a case breather...
Old 05-02-2003, 12:33 PM
simonbsimonb

Default magnum

magnum flys well (i been flying it for over a year and as far as im concerned it has no vices (ialways power fly it into field on tick over throttles then cut out just before landing

as the other guys say cahnge linkages to Elevator
and i use 3001 servos from futaba

remeber engine has got to be turning 2300 plus on a 8x10 to achive anything near 200 mphs and definateley use prosynth 2000
fuel from weston uk otherwise youll throw a conrod
Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

so what fuel should I use here? I can't get prosynth at all up here. Can I use Wildcat DF fuel?
Old 05-07-2003, 07:21 AM
simonbsimonb

any good synthetic oil will do but i wouldnt go as low as

prosynth (15 % ) unless i knew the oil was good
Old 05-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Rudeboy

Euhm...yes...

Mine should be arriving today... and I don't intend to order my fuel from the UK...

I'm just going to run 18% pure Synthglow and 10 nitro after break-in. Like I do on other 2 strokes.

Maybe I'll use 20% oil and no nitro for break-in, but that's as far as I'm willing to go...

I don't think it's fair that Weston UK is telling people to run nothing in that engine but the fuel they sell.

If it breaks down when I don't use their Prosynth, I'm going to sue them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.