Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for an engine I have

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Suggestions for an engine I have

Old 09-11-2009, 11:03 PM
fabmaster911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for an engine I have

I have a YS 61 AR R Long Stroke. The engine is a rear exhaust and pumped. I have the header and tuned pipe for it already. I want to mount the engine upright and run the pipe over top. This eliminates a bunch of airframes. I want to make something Freaking Fast. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for an engine I have

I flew with a guy who had the same set up on a oversized Quickie type plane.....what a dog. The engine really screamed, but the plane was just too big and heavy.

Why don't you try it on a delta?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:51 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that is an excellent engine, a lower rpm torquey pattern engine. one of the better engines for the classic pattern era planes. the YS .60 short stroke though will give you brute power and much higher rpms. however the .61 LS would be perfect in a Bridi Escape (retracts of course) or similar 80's ballistic pattern plane. there is a vast data base on that era's plane that can be found in the classic pattern forum.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pal stuck an OS rear port into a WM Dago Red. Pipe went though the fuse and it was fast too.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:09 AM
dhal22

it depends on which os rear exhaust. the v, vf or vr are high revving engines. the rf's (and hanno's) are more of a pattern engine.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM
fabmaster911

Looking like some great info, keep it coming and thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Your best bet it to put it where it really belongs - pattern ship. Most of the designs from the 1970s and 1980s were designed for speed (energy) and many will hit 100+mph easily when set up properly.

Even though it is the LS version, that does not mean much. The engine can and will unload on a slightly lighter prop, but there is no need to push it that far. Prop and pipe it to turn about 12,500 rpm with an 11x10 out front and it will get you all the speed you need.

Look for some of the older but larger RE pattern designs - Aurora, PA-2, T2A Mk II , Deception, EU1-A, Brushfire, UFO, XLT, Escape, Magic, Illusion, Atlanta, Citation, Bootlegger. Even a Compensator or Dirty Birdy will work, you will just have to build your own pipe-tunnel canopy. Quite a number of pilots use to fly Tipoare, Tipo 750 and Curare designs with RE engines - pipe along the side of the fuselage (or moded with the pipe slightly tucked in)

Suggestion: look in the Classic Pattern forum. Information on where to get many of these aircraft. Several are in re-production and available once again

With the right setup, the gear up, and the pipe/engine/prop matched - you will have yourself an extreme speed pattern ship.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
dhal22

there is more classic pattern info available there than you can consume in many many months. the guys there will options for all types of variables, but bob is right, that is a good list he gave you.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
fabmaster911

Thanks for all the help guys I am going to start researching planes right now. I've never flown a pattern plane, might be fun.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fabmaster911

Thanks for all the help guys I am going to start researching planes right now. I've never flown a pattern plane, might be fun.
You don't know what your missing, they make anybody look like they are an expert.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 PM
fabmaster911

I'm definetely going to get one then.