Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

what is the best delta?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

what is the best delta?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
gsalort1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best delta?

Hi people

In your opinion what is the best delta, the diamond dust or the screaming demon?, what is the fastest?, I heard that the diamond dust is fast than the other, using the same engine.

Gabriel.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: what is the best delta?

The Screamin Demon gives you building options that allows you to make it very clean if you want to spend the time. The wing span is 2" shorter then the Dust and it has a real NACA 0006 airfoil. There are smaller open bays on the Demon that reduces drag also. I am not trying to trash the Dust as they are fast and fun deltas but I vote Screamin Demon. Some would say I am bias towards a Demon. [X(]
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Duplicate
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gabriel - If anyone knows the differences between the two it's Mike Connor, and I'm going to rat on him in public right now. He was a certified Diamond Dust fan and liked them so much he decided to design his own, which is the Screamin Demon. I'm the guy that kits them now. I made a couple of little tweaks but it is the same Demon. Truth is, the Diamond Dust and Screamin Demon are both great aircraft, you take your pick. We're biased towards the Demon obviously, but if there is any speed difference I don't know what it is, and personally I have never built a Dust and am therefore not qualified to comment on them. As per my website, a Jett .50 powered Demon has been clocked at 182mph. I have not managed to radar mine yet. I fly a (clocked) 125 mph 34" span electric out of my backyard daily, and it is slow by comparison, that's all I know. Oh yeah, and a very experienced turbine pilot who has radarded a lot of flying told me I was doing minimum 170 on mine, with a Sport Jett .50 side exhaust on the standard muffler and I believe I was running a stock 8.8x9.0 APC. Either that or an 8.8x8.75, I have a few of each as they seem to work well for me.

MJD
Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

I've never flown a dust either, but I can also assure you that the S Demon has been a blast for me, building it is fast and easy for somebody who has built a plane before, it is a plane that is not for the faint of heart though. My .02
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 AM
C_Roundy

Well, I don't know much,..... but I really do feel that any honest retrospective will always reveal that Mr. Jeff Gilbert was the MAN who had the audacity to kick this whole party off by thinking "outside the box" with steep deltas well over 20 years ago.... And unfortunatly I cannot claim to have improved on his original idea much.
I Don't think that anyone who has flown the S.D. -vs- a well built clipped 'Dust would disagree.
C.R.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95447.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1288515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63361.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1288516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78395.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1288517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86636.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1288518  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built and flown the Diamond Dust. It is very easy to build and it can be framed up in one evening. I spent more time covering than framing. It flew well, was pretty quick, and I had a lot of fun with it.

That said, if I were to try another delta right now, I would build the Screamin Demon. Mainly because of the improved airfoil and better designed center section.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Wiggy

I absolutely must get to work building my Screamin Demon.

I have built several Diamond Dusts and I really enjoy flying them. I also have built and flown a Wild Wiz or two, have a Whiplash delta, and had an Outlaw ARF.

"What is the best delta" is like the Ford vs Chevy argument to me. They are similar but different.

A Wild Wiz has a much thicker airfoil and a rudder therefore it is a bit slower but more maneuverable than a Dust. I was underwhelmed with my Outlaw. It did nothing for me so I removed my engine and electronics and sold the airframe.

I knew Jeff Gilbert and he liked the Dust with a 32 class engine. I use this size engine to power mine and I get in the 140 mph range, on a radar gun, while maintaining the ability to make those famous 90 degree turns without bleeding off the speed.

I plan to have a Diamond Dust and a Wild Wiz in my hanger at all times. They are both great.

I will let you know about the Screamin Demon when I get one built. It promises to be a great mix between my two current favorites, the Dust and the Wiz.

So...What do you want from your "best' delta?

Wiggy
Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Wiggy
So...What do you want from your ''best' delta?

Wiggy
I want everyone else to run and hide.

MJD

Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

A Wild Wiz has a much thicker airfoil and a rudder therefore it is a bit slower but more maneuverable than a Dust. I was underwhelmed with my Outlaw. It did nothing for me

Wiggy

I didn't know there was much difference between the Whiz and Outlaw. I've thought it would be fun to have a delta that could spin and tumble and even recover. I built one called The Lil Toad with a mechanical mixer and OS .10 that would spin without a rudder and land like a spinning saucer.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Wiggy

CP,

If you have ever seen Jerry Smith fly his Outlaw it is amazing. Mine was not so much. I prefer the Wiz for no real reason.

I once built a Dust with rudders that was very difficult to get out of a flat spin. I won't do that again.

I got the Screamin Demon kit out today and thought about starting it. Thought about it...

Wiggy
Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Once the momentum of a real fast spin gets built up the rudder has to be stationed pretty far away from the CG to be able to stop reliably it.

The Lil Toad was my 1st delta and is a RCM plan from the late 50s or early 60s. The local know-it-alls pronounced it un-flyable when I showed the skeleton at a club meeting. One guy said that there were very few model pilots in the USA capable of controlling a delta for a full tank of gas before crashing. Some said that the airfoil had to be thick and reflexed in order for their to be any hope of flying. This kind of talk was going around in 1989.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
The Lil Toad was my 1st delta and is a RCM plan from the late 50s or early 60s. The local know-it-alls pronounced it un-flyable when I showed the skeleton at a club meeting. One guy said that there were very few model pilots in the USA capable of controlling a delta for a full tank of gas before crashing. Some said that the airfoil had to be thick and reflexed in order for their to be any hope of flying. This kind of talk was going around in 1989.
And this was two decades after AMA pylon was ruled by deltas.. these guys were obviously in close touch. It's good to have those guys around to keep prospective members out. Now why is it I am mostly a loner flier again..?

MJD
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

whiplash...cant blow or tear the covering off