Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Got the Bug

Old 07-02-2003, 01:42 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

For the past year or so most of my flying has been with relatively slow aerobatic planes and learning on a helicopter. A couple of weeks ago I got my old GP Trainer 60 out and it has flung a cravin' on me for speed.

I know you are wondering what that plane has to do with speed. The old Trainer 60 is not really a trainer. With clipped wings and a Webra 60 w/pipe mine has been clocked at 103 MPH. Not fast compared to what you guys are doing but a heck of a lot faster than what I had been flying, and I want more.

I ordered a Predator, Webra 50 and an Ultrathrust muffler. Everything should be here by the first of next week, so stand by for a barrage of questions.

Eric
Old 07-02-2003, 05:24 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default WELL-

That should do it-

I unfortunately have never had the Predator (I did have a GRRT but sold it ) would have been quick-

Sounds like you have good taste, and a pretty good head start.

I would start a search for "Predator" or " Lanier Predator" that should give you some reading up front while you are waiting...

Keep us posted!
james
Old 07-02-2003, 12:37 PM
depfife

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

Believe me I have worn out the search function. I think I have read every thread on RCU that has any mention of a Predator. :bananahea

Eric
Old 07-02-2003, 02:46 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

There should be quite a bit of info listed on the Predator. Please feel free to PM me with any questions, I've built a Q500 or two.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default daven....

....'ol Eric got bit by the "speed bug" ....heh heh heh,

....this chapter in the R/C Book is gonna cost him a
few dinero....(don't tell him there's no cure)
Old 07-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

Originally posted by daven
I've built a Q500 or two.
... or three maybe...?
Old 07-04-2003, 04:03 AM
depfife

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

The Predator and Webra were delivered today. They were ordered Monday and I wasn't expecting them this soon especially since I got the plane from Tower and opted for the economy shipping.

Everything arrived in good shape. The Predator looks better than anticipated. Does not look like it will take long to get it ready once my muffler and servos are here.

If you have any top secret advice now is the time to offer it.

Eric
Old 07-04-2003, 04:50 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default uhhh..

Make the top and bottom completely different colors (if its not already...) and remember to turn
Old 07-19-2003, 01:05 PM
depfife

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

Had a problem with the new receiver battery pack I got for the Predator. The leads were reversed. Had to get another pack shipped and that caused a slight delay getting in the air.

Everything went together pretty easy. I did reinforce the firewall and landing gear and replaced the stock wheels with some from Performance Specialties. I wanted to get a backplate mount and Performance shows one on their website, but it has been discontinued. I had to go with a Hayes mount. Moving the engine forward to use this mount has caused the plane to be balanced at the forward range of the recommend CG. I am using a 720 mah NiMH pack. I may change to a slightly heaver pack later if an adjustment is needed.

The maiden voyage was Tuesday afternoon. I had ran three tanks of Omega 10% through the Webra on a bench. It started right up and on the ground was turning an APC 9x7.5 @ 16,700. I still have it set a little rich. Keeping it from tipping forward during takeoff on the grass runway required holding full up in the elevator. Once it got in the air I discovered it had way to much up in the elevator. It took several clicks of down to get it flying straight. The ailerons needed only a couple of clicks.

Surprisingly it was not as much of a handful to fly as I had anticipated. It will take some time getting used to the speed. I did several circuits and some loops and checked out the slow flight characteristics. I was happy to see it flew well at relatively slow speeds. My landings still need some work. It takes much longer than any of my other planes for the Predator to slow. Once I touch down it noses over even with full up held in the elevator. I will increase the elevator throws and see if that corrects the problem.

Wish me luck.

Eric
Old 07-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

Well... a quickee has 500 square inches of wing... that should be enough to go pretty slow if needed...

Glad to hear your first speed experience has been a good one...
Old 07-19-2003, 03:17 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got the Bug

Great News Eric.

For takeoffs, its best to have a friend help you by holding the plane. Advance to full throttle, and hold full up elevator. Have your friend give the plane a push, and it should be off the ground in short order.

For throws, I like to set up Dual rates. Low rates for take offs and flying, and then Higher rates for landing.

For landings, your better off deadsticking quickees in. I idle down as I make my last turn to landing aproach, and if everything looks good, I hit my throttle Kill switch and glide it in for a landing. Quickees were not made to taxi.

Most people would be suprised to find how easy quickees actually fly. My 2nd plane was a quickee with an O.S. .25fx on the nose. Glad everything went well.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:18 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RudeBoy

Originally posted by Rudeboy
... or three maybe...?