Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Thinking About Getting Into Extreme Speed Prop Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Thinking About Getting Into Extreme Speed Prop Planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:00 PM
mike_evader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Getting Into Extreme Speed Prop Planes

Hello,

I have recently soloed on my trainer, and am looking into different planes. I have been looking around, and have decided that at some time, I would like to fly extreme speed prop planes, more specifically The Weston Magnum. Since I am a beginner, I know this will probably be more of a long term goal. But, I would like to start out right. What planes should I get (and learn to fly) before I can get into the Extreme Speed Prop Planes? Also, how long is it going to take me to achieve this long term goal? If anyone could point me out to some beginner articles or web pages, that would be great too.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Mattyb

Hi Mike,

I believe it is up to the individual and the support group you have.
I have been flying for bout 8 months and am already flying a DF spectre and am maidening my magnum this weekend. One thing to keep in mind is that some people say it may take a year but they fly on sundays for bout 2-3 hours. I fly bout 5 times a week for about 15 hours. also the money. Since starting i had my trainer then a stick type plane then a chipmunk then a swallow pattern then the spectre now the magnum and a giant scale coming. All the best and dont let anyone stop you from advancing as its the only way to learn.

Good luck

Mattyb
Old 07-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default howdy!

15 hours- a day? Or total?

Anyhow, after the trainer gets boring I would recommend a 4 star 40 from SIG, or a Sig Somethin' Extra- that will get you used to sensitive flying, then maybe a KAOS (which are pretty fast..) then a Quickie 500 like the Lanier Predator- it is an arf and it haul the mail!

There is no time-line on this stuff- Just have fun pacing yourself and don't let anybody tell you how long or short it should take to fly extreme speed-

Look at Mattyb- 8 months?

I am also a HUGE fan of Prop-jets like the GP Patriot or Lanier F-4... They are fast AND have wheels

Later,
james
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91166_6032.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	52615  
Old 07-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Mattyb

james- 15 hours a week. I wish per day. havent missed a week in eight months. gotta go fly now

See yas

Mattyb
Old 07-07-2003, 01:26 AM
flyfree69

i just got started in prop-jets and its a blast,,, get yourself a fast low-wing and and learn to fly it fast ,then check out extreme prop planes. talk to people like ,, razor and jwoolridge these guys helped me ALOT and are still helping me,,, we are all flying the lanier f-4, it flys and looks great. they are always there when i have a question (and i have alot of them) i would say go for it,, because speed means fun;;;;;;;;;;;
Old 07-07-2003, 02:00 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't recommend "extreme speed" as a second after you've just master take off and landing on your trainer.

I'd say get a nice pattern type plane... something that will fly slow with a large, low pitch prop, but that will also speed up quite nicely with a smaller, high pitch prop.

The plane that got me into speed was a Midwest Super Hots, powered by a ST K90 engine: Zinger 15x6 prop for awesome vertical performance, APC 12x8 for speed... and this thing had a huge wing. But it still speeded up very nice with the .90 up front.
Anyway, you get the picture... get a versatile model.

And Matty is absolutely right, it all depends on how much you fly. The more you fly the faster you learn.
I too used to fly 7 days a week, an average 2 to 3 hours a day in the summer, in the winter only weekends because it was dark too soon... It was a daily routine: get home from school, get the stuff ready to load into dad's car, have something to eat. After dad came home from work, and was having his dinner, I was loading everything into the car. Dad finished eating => off to the field... flying until sunset... I wish I was still 14 years old...
Old 07-07-2003, 03:05 AM
Warrenizer
My Feedback: (5)

The Tower Hobbies Voyager is a nice plane, it flies fast with a .40, then I put a .53 on it, and it became very fast. I think Tower has them for $90, and if you get the sales flyer you can use the coupon to get it for 80.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:42 AM
FlooredCOBRA

I would say go for it with the speed planes. It is not a big deal going fast if you use your throttle. Just get used to it about half or so then hit it WOT on some flat passes. Back off and do again. After a while you will be able to hold it WOT the whole flight.

I found it is not as hard to fly as it looks if you was sitting back watching. When I fly my Dust around you I kind of get a box view on it. Kind of like you see the plane and a small area (box) around it. You cant really tell how fast your going past everything because you are focused on plane.

Now the guys behind watching swear it is uncontrollable but when flying it is not hard at all. Just fly around like a normal plane. Just keep in mind that you can cover the entire field in a few seconds. It pretty much comes down to go fast turn.... go fast turn....go fast turn..... gets routine but looks good burning holes in sky...
Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 PM
polishedbrother

Default RE: Thinking About Getting Into Extreme Speed Prop Planes

check out my video! on you tube - polishedbrother
Rare AlleyCat Video 216 M.P.H.!
The only AlleyCat video on the net!!!