Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Fastest engine for a Whiplash

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Fastest engine for a Whiplash

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 05:51 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Fastest engine for a Whiplash

what would be the engine to move the Whip the fastest? I just picked up a whip and need to buy an engine.

What is the difference between the MVVS GRRT FAI and the MVVS GRRT standard besides the pipe header being bolt on with the standard? they list the exact same specs for both, but the standard is $80 less. Is this an engine worth considering? or would something like a JETT FAI be far better?
I would consider the Nelson FAI engine IF a. it wasn't so damned expensive, and b. I could easily get plugs for them, but the Nelson's need nelson plugs

I have a Weston magnum with the West 50 in it, and it's kewl, but I have a desire to go faster LOL. My turbine is faster, but I don't the the dollar rush ALL the time hehehe.

So, best engine, I'm open to any suggestion, only preference would be something that is easy to get and get parts for in North America and is rear exhaust.

Thank you
Jeremy
Old 07-04-2003, 11:44 AM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...89&forumid=162

That Rossi 65 would be a lot faster than anything you mentioned and will get faster yet if you put the Rossi 81 in it!!
Old 07-04-2003, 12:58 PM
hooaa
My Feedback: (1)

Would someone describe the performance with a Jett50 FIRE & pipe? A Jett 40 Q500? I have the same decision to make.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:28 PM
LGM Graphix

Does the whip really need that much weight up front to balance? I'd rather keep it lighter if possible. The Nelson FAI engine is a 30,000 rpm engine, I would assume the Jett is close?

we have a pretty sick noise rule at the field too, so I'm looking for something with a quiet pipe. Besides, I don't like how the Rossi powered one delaminated LOL!!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Destiny-RCU

Hey guys,

Well I think if you're willing to spend the money for a Jett i'd get one. I fly with a buddy at the field with one and they are great engines, it screams. I have a DC F-20 with a Jett 50 Fire. With a 9x7.5 prop she turns about 17,900 on the ground. had the plane clocked at 152mph (approx. who believes the radar guns) They're great engines. Gets a lot of attention at the field.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:19 PM
ewspears

Jeremy,

What has the word "NEED" got to do with this discussion? I'm sure an OS 25 would fly it fine! I was responding to your subject question "Fastest engine for a Whiplash"

You don't "NEED" a Rossi up front to balance it, in fact you'll have to do some planning to get it to balance with the Rossi.

If your field doesn't like noise, they're going to hate all the options discussed so far!!!

YEA a Nelson will turn 30K, but thats with a toothpick for a prop, not a full bladed 9X9-11!

I would contend that Chuck Auger's Rossi Whip Delaminated because it was flying a lot faster than the numerous Whips with Jett 50's And that was with a 65! The Rossi 81 DF Sleeve, Piston, and Head will drop right into that 65 and give him another 15 to 20% MORE POWER with no weight increase.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:14 PM
LGM Graphix

It had nothing to do with how much power does it need, Chuckauger mentioned he used the Rossi over his initial engine because it would not balance with the smaller engine. Rossi's are typically very heavy, my question was, does the whip NEED that much weight up front?

And I know the 30K on the Nelson is with a small prop as well, my west 50 turns an 8x9 at 21,000rpm. I'd buy another west 50 if it was rear exhaust. The club doesn't like the noise of that either, but they all agree that in the air it's not so horrid. They also hate my Turbines on the ground, but agree in the air they are whisper quiet.

So my question remains, what is the fastest engine on a whip? The Rossi 65 is a possibility, however, availability of the engine is another factor, is the Rossi 65 still even available? From what I gathered in the other thread it isn't.

I guess what I'm asking more is, which engine has proven most consistent with high RPM? I've run the nelsons, and am not adverse to another one, but the plugs are difficult for me to get up here. So I suppose really what I'm asking, is would the Jett be equivalent? I've never seen a JETT up here. I also really would prefer the Rear Exhaust so as not to have the weight of a pipe on one side. I looked at the OS46DF engines, but the crank isn't long enough on the new ones to hold a prop I don't think. Considering it's a 6oz tank, I don't know that going to something 60 size or bigger would be a wise choice either.

GRRRRR, I guess I'm really answering alot of my own questions here.

The reason I asked originally, is a JETT FIRE50 is $275 + pipe, JETT FAI is $325 + pipe, Nelson FAI is $425, and the MVVS GRRT is $149 + pipe, the MVVS GRRT FAI is $229 + pipe. So which is going to be the best bang for the buck on a whip?
Old 07-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Jeremy Ferguson

The reason I asked originally, is a JETT FIRE50 is $275 + pipe, JETT FAI is $325 + pipe, Nelson FAI is $425, and the MVVS GRRT is $149 + pipe, the MVVS GRRT FAI is $229 + pipe. So which is going to be the best bang for the buck on a whip?
I'd vote for the Jett FIRE 50:
1) You will have throttle... =>less headaches
2) The pylon engines need a prop that is too small to drag the Whip around
3) The Jett FIRE will outlive the pylon engines
Old 07-05-2003, 07:46 PM
sydclement

Default Jettfire 50

Rudeboy:

You took all the crap out of the above posts
and condensed it all into 3 great statements and
many of us agree. Thank you!!!!

Have a good day..

Syd Clement
Old 07-05-2003, 08:02 PM
LGM Graphix

Well, I didn't consider my questions crap, but I must agree, I think I've decided on the Jett FIRE 50, now it's just a matter of getting one!
Old 07-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Rudeboy

Jeremy...

You almost sound like my girlfriend... she always THINKS she has DECIDED on something too... :bananahea :bananahea :drowning:
Old 07-05-2003, 08:45 PM
LGM Graphix

unlike most women I generally stick to what I decided on

It's the lack of a throttle that has me looking at the Jett above the rest. I've had non throttled engines, and can become trying in a hurry sometimes.

My main reason for the post was, I need to buy an engine for the Whip, and any performance engine is going to cost. I didn't want to buy something that I wouldn't be happy with, so I decided to ask the people who have flown a whip. I'm not really to concerned about spending the $$ so long as it's not on something I'll be looking to sell the next day.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:45 AM
ChuckAuger

Crap, eh?

Well the Jett .50 engine guys know that they have the best engine, no debate. But it may not be the fastest. That's what I thought the question was. I don't know the answer to that, there are a lot of powerful engines out there. I just used what I had, I wasn't trying to knock anybody off their pedestal.

Jeremy, to address some of your questions..Yes, My first Whiplash absolutely needed the weight up front..just like I mentioned in the other crap post. I don't know why, if it was manufacturing variations or what. My second one is going to be a bit more of a chore to balance with the Rossi. My first one came in at 4lb 10oz.

I agree that the high-revving racing engines can't sling enough wood to get the Whip on step.

My Rossi has a throttle.

Is the Rossi .65 the fastest engine for a Whip?? I don't know. I had very little trouble mounting it. I have an OS 46VXDF which is heavier than the OS 46VRDF, but the VXDF is drum induction which means the carb is in the center of the rear cover.. The .65 is Disk induction (so is the 46 VRDF) so the carb is mounted higher and so it is much easier to mount. I had the OS 46 VXDF setting right there when I decided on the Rossi 65, I would have used it if it wouldn't have been so hard to mount. It would have balanced with everything moved fore. Both of these engines have a throttle.

You can mount APC D1 hub racing props on any of the 46 sized OS ducted fan engines if you want to. They are .550" thick. You just have to want the prop on the engine.

The 6 oz tank is not very big..that's why I mounted a 2 oz tank in addition to the 6oz in my Whiplash (BTW this 2oz tank was in front of the CG....). I get 2.5 minutes on this 8oz of fuel.

The only reason my Whip delaminated was because of the Rossi. Not because of the weight, or vibration, or any other bogey men. It was because it was turning a 9X8 at over3000 more RPM static than a Jett 50. I'm going for a 9X9 on the next one to try to get the RPM down a bit and try not to go into any extended full throttle power dives.

So get a Jett 50, you will have the best engine out there, bar none. I'm about the only one to run crap like a Rossi. But I like it that way.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:53 AM
LGM Graphix

I'm still trying to figure out what the "crap" was in the posts

Thank you Chuck for your answer, I thought it was a simple question LOL. Anyway, I'm getting the JETT 50 FIRE. I think it will work just dandy fine on the Whip
Old 07-08-2003, 02:02 AM
ChuckAuger

Originally posted by Jeremy Ferguson
I'm still trying to figure out what the "crap" was in the posts

Well it starts with "R" and is made in Italy.

All kidding aside,, I think you have made a fine choice. I have been accumulating Rossi engines for about 20 years, so I have a stockpile. No way would I ever recommend one to a guy unless he had one.

Just one thing, though..Go back to My "Test Flight" post..in it Dustflyer has a pic of a Jett 60L on a Whip. I think the cost is very close if not identical to the FIRE50, might be worth looking at (and you won't have to carve). Silly me, all I have is Jett BSE 30's..same cost as the big Jetts.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:09 AM
Rudeboy

I think what Syd ment was that there was no need to go into long and elaborate stories regarding the original question... I don't think he was looking to offend someone...

I think the major problem is that nobody (or at least very few peolpe) have tested enough engines on their Whip to come to a definitive answer.
Most peolpe have only had one engine on it, some maybe two, and very few real speed freaks, like Chuck here maybe three or four...

So all you can do is filter the given info, and make the choice for yourself.

The Jett FIRE 50 might not be the absolute fastest engine ever to be mounted on a Whip, but it will put you at the front of the pack... you won't be lagging behind the FX 46 guys...that's for sure...

Maybe Chucks Rossi 65 powered Whip was faster, but then again he's shopping for a new plane...
Old 07-08-2003, 02:19 AM
ChuckAuger

Originally posted by Rudeboy
Maybe Chucks Rossi 65 powered Whip was faster, but then again he's shopping for a new plane...
Actually Chuck has had a new Whip since 5 days (delivered) after his old one crashed.

Chucks new Whiplash has also been highly modified to avoid a replication of the last crash.

Chucks new Whiplash is at the paint shop right now, Chuck hopes to fly it in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:00 AM
Rudeboy

Well it is commendable that Chuck took action to avoid in flight structural failure in the future...

I hope Chucks new Whip will have a longer and more fulfilling life than the last one...

I also hope that Chuck will post a picture of his new Whip after the "master airbrush artist" is through with the plane...

Old 07-08-2003, 03:14 AM
ChuckAuger

I hope Chucks new Whip will have a longer and more fulfilling life than the last one...
You and Chuck both...

I also hope that Chuck will post a picture of his new Whip after the "master airbrush artist" is through with the plane...
I would expect there might be a pic or 2... he is doing it for exposure and publicity, not because Chuck's the best paying customer in the world
Old 07-08-2003, 10:25 AM
sydclement

Thanks Rudeboy, for getting my butt out of the fire.
I never ment to offend anyone and for the ones that
took it wrong, I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE....

I have seen the Jetfire BSE 60 in action on a Whiplash
and with the right modified APC prop, it should be a winner.
It does have the pull power, now we have to convert that
pull power into speed.

Syd
Old 07-08-2003, 04:52 PM
ChuckAuger

Originally posted by sydclement
Thanks Rudeboy, for getting my butt out of the fire.
I never ment to offend anyone and for the ones that
took it wrong, I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE....

I have seen the Jetfire BSE 60 in action on a Whiplash
and with the right modified APC prop, it should be a winner.
It does have the pull power, now we have to convert that
pull power into speed.

Syd
Ah, I wasn't offended Syd, just a little good natured jousting with the Jett faction, kinda like Ford vs Chevy type thing. Post #15 in the thread sums up my real view on the situation....which ironically you also stated in this post.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:59 PM
ChuckAuger

Here is a peek just for you, Rudeboy. In progress shot sent this morning.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	92407_150.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	52730  
Old 07-09-2003, 02:25 AM
LGM Graphix

damn dude, that looks kickass!!!!! I'm impressed! did you happen to see the painting tutorial I did in the jet section?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...346&forumid=26

it might interest you some )
Old 07-09-2003, 02:44 AM
ChuckAuger

I'm strictly a Monokote guy..this is the first plane I ever had that had to be painted..you can see my fantastic paint job here..

Or Kens paintjob here..

I think the guy is trying to show me up!!
Old 07-09-2003, 03:30 AM
Rudeboy

One can hardly tell the difference... you should stick to Monokote... works a lot faster...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.