Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

SPEED Lekkie 400

Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default SPEED Lekkie 400

I know, I know its a electric plane but I scratched it from plans, its called the Slipso 400, very easy to build, but hand shaping the .25 balsa wing was a good experience, it turned out nice and uniform. I still have to make a lid for over top the elevator servo, as you can see.
It has a Eflite Six Series 2700 kv motor, CC 35 ESC, and a 1350 3s Li-Po, weighs in at just under 16OZ's, should be fun.
I'm going to start out with an APC 5x5, but I have a 4.75x4.75 also, to try.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55018.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1318192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76837.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1318193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76943.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1318194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17570.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1318195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49812.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1318196  
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SPEED Lekkie 400

Looks great! If you added some wing "fillets" like a Katana by your cooling outlet I think you would get more cooling. The fillets would hold back the high pressure air from under the wing, so the outlet would in effect be in the top of the wing which is a low pressure area.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For reference, that's the same motor, prop and ESC combo I have in my Simple 400, which Wav-o-scoped at 125-126mph with its 15% thick wing. And which I nearly strained through a cedar tree today right after pulling out of a terminal dive. Close one, gettin' cocky (or bored).

That will boogie. If it flies over 100 I think it's okay no matter what spins the prop, we endure enough 90mph aircraft here as it is..

MJD
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This will be my first attempt to fly this type of aircraft, should be interesting,[X(] although I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got one most of the way built already as well. Maybe I need to get back to it soon. Looks good my Canuk brothers[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Really nice work! The planes this size I've seen run really ripped around the poles!

The control horn on the elevator looks kind of short to me, but it could be the camera angle.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The way the fuselage comes to a point at the tail, and how the linkage wire comes out, it doesn't really allow for a longer horn on the elevator.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 AM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vicman

I've got one most of the way built already as well. Maybe I need to get back to it soon. Looks good my Canuk brothers[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Not too much to build this thing, quick easy build. Time to finish it up Vicman.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:20 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great, thanks.. now I have to build something faster.. [&o]

MJD
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 AM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MJD

Great, thanks.. now I have to build something faster.. [&o]

MJD
Always a competition"eh"
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 AM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does it look like I have enough cooling hole inlets and exits? Anybodys opinion would be appreciated. The plan pics don't show any at all, I've added those, and there isn't much room for gear in the plane, its packed in there.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's mine.....hangin outrunners on the nose....no cooling problems! Waiting on batteries for maiden.

Name:	Zx70737.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1318792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93943.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1318793  
Old 11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks awesome, let me know how you make out on the maiden.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: smoknrv4
Always a competition''eh''
Well, you gotta have some kind of incentive..

MJD
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Small tail surfaces.. in this size, I'd hate to launch tail heavy!

Mine cools nicely with a ~40% slice of a 3/4" thin styrene rocket nose cone glued to the top of the hatch as an air scoop, and a 7/8" hole behind the wing. The battery is lukewarm when it lands, the ESC seems fine, motor is only warm. Mind you, the thing is never on the ground sooner than two minutes after the last full throttle blitz. But nothing has melted yet, except the ESC that got upset when I soldered an Ultra plug in a hurry to a charged 3s 2100 pack (with a different plug), then plugged it in to fly. Oops, reverse polarity. "Smokin".. [8D] .. no way to pull it apart in time. Stupid electric stuff..*

MJD

* says the guy who just shaved his index finger knuckle on the back of a prop last week while pulling the fuel line off the carb of a flooded and backwards running engine.. APC's cut real good that way 'round.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 PM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MJD- I did the same thing recently with an ESC and a programming card. Hooked it up wrong.....acrid smell....no more ESC!!![] Electric is so unforgiving in that area...put the wrong prop on a nitro motor no big deal....put the wrong prop on an elec without a meter and in less than 5 seconds......acrid smell.....no more motor or ESC or both! Been there done that[:@]

I'm gonna go a tad nose heavy on my maiden before tweeking the balance point on this plane. I'm waiting on two batteries that are coming in the mail that will fit in this thing I just hope they get here soon. Got three outrunners and two inrunners to test so it should be fun. The season is nearly over here in northern SK where I am living right now. The snow is coming!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 AM
RocketRob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Electric is so unforgiving in that area...
Usually you only do it once Now I have been having more of a problem with glow and one lean run P/L assemblys.....[&o]

Artic, even though your motor is out in the slipstream your ESC (if run anywhere near the limits) may ask for cooling - bats also - fly it then bring it in hot and pull the wing and hit both with an infrared temp guage

You know your ESC is a bit hot when the little spiders (mosfets) start dancing around on the board under G forces

Personally I don't care for outrunners - lower effeciency, Tend to be heavier, Routing wires is a PIA, more reciprocating weight-slower spool up - harder on bearings, basically limited to one prop size/loading where an inrunner can be run direct drive or in an unlimited number of gear ratios. - but that conversation is to electric as what the castor/synthitic is to glow......

Artic, your plane is beautiful - great covering and graphic skills!

For cooling holes look at the high draw F5D or F5B planes - or do what American electric racers have been doing for years - copy the Germans Typically a NACA scoop design cut out on top of the fuse just aft of the motor to get cooling air flowing over the ESC then on to the battery and out. Ideally you would place the exit holes in the lower pressure area just aft the wing where the fuse is tapering. The problem here is your cut outs are very close to the rear section of the wing saddle which may weaken the structure. - no easy answers.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

You know your ESC is a bit hot when the little spiders (mosfets) start dancing around on the board under G forces

Rob, you have a way with words.[sm=lol.gif] LOL!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 AM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rocket Rob- I agree that inrunners are more efficient with many more prop combinations available. I have been building 120 to 130mph Strykers for awhile now and use inrunners. The nice thing about the Strykers... the motor is out there in the airflow so cooling is not a problem. I have been trying to stay away from the screaming limits of the ESC/Battery part of the power train in that I usually run a larger ESC than needed (CC125 on Strykers) and the C rating on my batteries (40C on Strykers) despite the price is larger than I need as well. This has kept me from worrying to much about cooling of the ESC and battery.
This plane I realize will be different especially when I convert to an inrunner and if I decide to start pushing the power train envelope (which knowing me I will do) I plan on adding a scoop (or two) up front in the area where you suggested.
As far a strength goes I built this one a tad heavier than plans with larger triangle stock and re-enforcing in the area you described. It is glassed as well prior to paint. I am about 40 or 50 grams heavier than I wanted to be RTF but minor landing mishaps and screaming high G turns should not be a problem.......knock on wood!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
RocketRob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Artic, the plane really looks great!
Another thing which has been useful on these belly landers is to put a patch of the clear laminating plastic on the belly to handle the abrasion-I've even landed them on asphalt- but they slide forever........ The hobby shops sell some sheet designed for the rc car guys as chassis protection which works very well.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RocketRob
For cooling holes look at the high draw F5D or F5B planes - or do what American electric racers have been doing for years - copy the Germans Typically a NACA scoop design cut out on top of the fuse just aft of the motor to get cooling air flowing over the ESC then on to the battery and out. Ideally you would place the exit holes in the lower pressure area just aft the wing where the fuse is tapering. The problem here is your cut outs are very close to the rear section of the wing saddle which may weaken the structure. - no easy answers.
The scoop is a piece of rocket body tube, so I guess this is a NASA inlet - not quite as efficient and costs ten times as much, but it gets the job done.

This is one of my three hatches, and the most recently stepped upon.. . I can't find the good one, only the two quick pieces of s- I made up in desperation.

MJD

Old 12-20-2009, 04:31 PM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Smoknrv4- This is my maiden post fom over on RC Groups where there is a complete (over 100 pages) build thread on this plane. Sorry but I forgot to post the maiden over here. I have since built a second one with an inrunner setup. I added a scoop to the outrunner plane to cool the ESC (yes- you were right ROCKETROB) as I am now *****g it out. This plane is screamin fast and is small so visible paint is very important but WOW is it fun to fly. I have since this post changed the motor to a high KV helicopter outrunner. Which is giving 300watts with a 5x5 prop but I have not been able to fly it with that combo yet. All motors (I have 6 now) are cheap HK motors as I want to keep these things super afordable but go as fast as possible with the smallest cash outlay. So far so good!!!!!! Really fun!!!!

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA......got my batteries today and.....maiden flight
Set the throws prior to going to the field about 4mm for everything and 60% expo. All up weight 420grams. Balanced at 30mm. After some meter readings decided to go with an APC 7X6 Sport for the first flight. With my little Turnigy outrunner, 3S 30C 1600 Turnigy lipo, that prop gave me about 175watts at 16amps WOT.

Went to the field hooked everything up..... WOT..... left handed throw with the thumb on the trans stick and WOOOSH...outa here
Climbed like a rocket to altitude and made the first turn. 3 clicks of down and I never touched the trims again WOW! Flew circles at just over half throttle getting used to the plane then made a couple of WOT passes.

Landing time.......cut the power back on the downwind and chopped the throttle when I turned final. I'm used to fast planes and I did not find anything to complain about in the approach and touch down. Ended up making two more landings no complainants.

This thing is fast with this minimal power system but a joy to fly. Rock solid on rails tracking! Gonna back off on the expo some...I like to feel the plane! Got three more motors coming....this thing should really scream with a hot inrunner.

Name:	da83532.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	1338370  
Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 PM
smoknrv4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mines ready just havn't had time for maiden yet, waiting for some snow for landings, the frozen ground likes to eat bellies on landings.
Thanks for the progress report sounds like it flys like a typical speed plane.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 PM
arcticflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm doing some work up in Prince Albert, SK right now so that is why I haven't flown the second one yet....last week it was -35C here[X(] so flying was out the window. My last flight before the cold snap was at -16C and I thought my fingers were going to fall off. I had to land and run to the truck and hold my hands over the heat vents[:@] It warmed up some the past four days. I might try and get in a flight tomorrow in a hay stubble field with the new high KV motor. For sure it flys like a speed plane but not so tweeky that it wasn't fun. Never got it slow enough to approach tip stalling speeds as I am still getting it dialed in. Hopefully, I can get a couple of more flights in to see how slow it will go before bad things start to happen......2 mistakes high! Thought about stringing my parachute out in the field and flying the plane into it at landing time....if rigged right, it should make a pillow of a landing platform....got to think it out some more before trying it.

Oh Yeah, I would strongly suggest for the first flights to go with a high torque prop motor setup instead of a speed setup. Makes for a much less HAIRY launch! At least until it is dialed in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service