Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

SCREAMIN' DEMON DOES 202 MPH!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

SCREAMIN' DEMON DOES 202 MPH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default SCREAMIN' DEMON DOES 202 MPH!!!

This speed stuff is easy, nothin' to it.........[8D]

It was about 50 degrees, drizzle, just a slight breeze when I pulled in to the field. I had to throw clumps of grass to tell which way to launch.
This was the first try of the Eliminator P2 prop. The engine was acting a little bit jumpy about it being on there, it might have more load then the APC prop that hit 199 mph.
The first run up got shut down because right before I was ready to let go the rpms jumped and I didn't want to take a chance on a lean run. The next try, I launched it at 21,300 and it took a couple minutes of doing back and forth passes for the magic moment, then it jumped into a full scream and gave me quite a bit more time for several high speed passes. After playing back the audio, the highest pitch happened on the last pass.
One of the air tubes got ripped out and it started raining, so just one run again today. The cowl repair held up, I sleeved the holes with brass tubing. The pipe strap didn't even break.
Oh ya, I've been lifting the last coil of the glow element up just past the end of the plug body.

My computer is being looked at right now by the Geek Squad to figure out why it won't run Wavoscope, but I did get some decent audio today. I'm about ready to remove the HowFast? and clean up that wing panel a little.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:08 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SCREAMIN' DEMON DOES 202 MPH!!!

Great news, congrats!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations cp, I knew you would do it. 205 next?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
combatpigg

Thanks guys.....look how relatively easy it's been. This was the 4th run on the FAI engine....181...195...199.........202......the engine still doesn't seem to have been stressed and the bottom end could still stand to feel looser. If 205 is possible with the HF?, I'll never know because I'm done with using it on deltas.It works on short grass, but not here.
If 200 mph is verifiable on Wavoscope, then that will be pretty cool.........good enough for me!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Can you email me a wav file and I will check it for you?
[email protected]
You are dial up, right? [:@]
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
combatpigg

Mike, when I get my computer back I'll give it a try. I still need to figure out if I can edit scenes because the good stuff doesn't happen until 5 minutes in the scene. I don't want to email you a bunch of "air". Yes, it's dial up..........[&o]
Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wahooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple indeed,
Good job Broh!

I knew you were going to hit it soon. [8D]
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
sportrider_fz6

way to go!!! you gotta post a video of this one
Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey CP, knew if anyone could - you would!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

good times, and damp air very good
Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 AM
combatpigg

Thanks again.......I don't have any problem taking credit for.....

...Henry Nelson's engine...
...Steve Wilk's prop.......
...Mike Conner's plane.......
...Dave Shadel at Performance Specialties for helping a total stranger like me to the extent he did with great service and very detailed advice. He's nothing but the best to deal with and I used to hear local pattern flyers rave about his service to them, too.

Thanks to Mike's RC for furnishing the Screamin' Demon!

Guys come to this forum all the time looking for a cheap and easy way to go fast. I don't think you can do much better than one of these deltas.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:26 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

It must be a sweet thing to hit that speed and the sound of the RPM"s screaming by, Good job CP!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 AM
combatpigg

SRV, I was explaining to my wife tonight while she listened to the sound recording that even though you have something in your sights going fast, you just are operating over a larger area to compensate so it doesn't seem that fast when it's away from you. You know what I mean. When you do a close fly by, then it seems to speed up...but it's still nothing like standing in there looking at a 90 mph fastball coming at you from 60 feet......
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 AM
mk1spitfire

Congratulations CP..!!!!!! Top Gun..!!!!!

Us mere mortals will have to stay in the 100+ range with our apc props.!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

SRV, I was explaining to my wife tonight while she listened to the sound recording that even though you have something in your sights going fast, you just are operating over a larger area to compensate so it doesn't seem that fast when it's away from you. You know what I mean. When you do a close fly by, then it seems to speed up...but it's still nothing like standing in there looking at a 90 mph fastball coming at you from 60 feet......
I've noticed that phenomenom in a rather startling way a few times - when flying roughly towards myself [8D]for a high speed low pass. Everything's looking good then all of a sudden NYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHwhooosh and it's nearly cleaved my head off while I'm still thinking about the approach. I try not to do that too much. I had the same pant soiling experience the first time I rode a bike in the mid 100's. Riding was cool, it was the closing speed with the vehicles ahead of me that caught me by surprise. Brakes rock.

My protoype Demon was the fastest aircraft I had ever flown by a long shot, and after a few laps to get the pace, no sweat. I'm not saying I'm a hotshot, I'm just saying that they groove so well and fly so predictably even in cross winds and turbulence (what turbulence?) coz they just blast through and ignore everything. Not much lateral area certainly helps.

And my .65 Demon sits patiently waiting for me while I dither away at annoying necessities.

Congrats CP, nice work.

Mike aka MJD
Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

sounds like a real screamin demon

nice job
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
combatpigg

Thanks. Now look back to those old Diamond Dust ads.........anyone still have one of those to show?

It will be interesting to find out what doppler says. We might be celebrating too soon....[]
The Geek Squad still isn't done with my computer. I guess low ranking Geeks look at it first, then it probably gets sent to a higher ranking Geek, etc,...it might be on the Grand Geek's work table by now.............[8D]

I think the next step is to lower compression slightly before running this new Eliminator prop again, as a precaution. This will verify that it isn't already overcompressed. The engine has a spooky way of taking almost all the mixture you can give it, chew on it for awhile, then explode into a perfect sounding run...as long as you give it enough fuel to work with, it takes over from there.

Since the original break in session the head hasn't come off yet. Same liner timing and head clearance. The bulk of the break in was done with low timing and open exhaust...it's amusing to see how normal this engine becomes then. It runs like any other engine except the ports are so big it would only run on bladder with a trimmed down .36 combat prop.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kewl![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM
MJD

I recall wayyy back when the DD was fairly new.. I think it was [first name, Dave, Russ, forget?] Pribanic who fitted a .45DF engine and a cowl to one, and the mag article says they estimated the speed at about 220 when he piled it in. Estimated is the operative word of course.

MJD
Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
combatpigg

Knowing a little bit more about the physics now...he would have needed about 40,000 rpm from that .45 engine to get there... maybe he was running those bearings they make in outer space?..... Maybe some kind of weightless, magnetic force field prop?

Back when DD was taking out those CLOCKED AT 200 MPH!! ads, they really got my attention and I had no reason or knowledge to doubt them.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:21 PM
MJD

Marketing hype. True to the starry-eyed consumer until absolutely, unequivocably proven otherwise by spoilsports.

I worked at Estes when they came out with the Astro Blaster RC boost glider. The box copy said it would reach 1000 feet. Yes it would - with another company's larger engines. With their own recommended engines it would at best manage 400-500. Did they lie? No. Did they intentionally deceive? You be the judge. Same **** different wheelbarrow.

MJD
Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
mk1spitfire

Have you ever looked at the hall of fame DELTA photos for speed achieved? look for hall of fame icon on left of main page
Worth a look at some of speeds claimed

http://www.jettengineering.com/
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Yak13
My Feedback: (17)

Well done CP. It must have been an incredible sensation. Congrats!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:42 PM
combatpigg

When I first found this forum a few years back, there was a lot more talk about 200 mph deltas. I didn't realize Jett had a full page of them! Some of those guys and their planes rang a bell when I saw them again. Those Whiplashes sure had the awesome paint jobs! One thing I noticed about the planes on that page was a lack of cowls. There used to be a lot of threads about Diamond Dust planes disintegrating, crumbling and flying apart, gnarly Whiplash crashes...there was just a lot of good forum reading back then.......

Thanks Yak......to tell you the truth, if I had ear plugs I wouldn't be able to tell much difference between 180 and 200, it's the sound effects that bring out that spine tingling feel. This sport and C/L combat and C/L speed are all about the sound. A blind man could enjoy this about as much as anyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.