Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

gasoline speed engine <30cc ??

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

gasoline speed engine <30cc ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasoline speed engine <30cc ??

So, does anyone know of a gas 2 stroke speed engine that would perhaps put out about the power of a YS 110 /115??

I'm trying to see what alternatives there are in gas to the YS or Jett 91/120?

I'm no machinist, so I don't want to have to modify anything too radical.

If the best power to weight is gonna be with glow power, then that's fine and I'll see what I can come up with.

I have a used K&B 100 ducted fan engine that I can play with too.

Any suggestions??
Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: gasoline speed engine <30cc ??

Check this out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8862472/tm.htm
Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Airbike

Thanks for the link Rich. I did see that thread a while back but did not keep it in mind as most of my 3D/IMAC planes are 100 or 150cc.

I posted in the speed forum as I'm trying to decide if I want to build my Super Duelist twin or not. And if I do, it will be as a speed machine.
I had a sport twin that I set up with a pair of Saito 100's but I got bored and sold it.

So I'm trying to keep my mind open as to engine possibilities, but I don't think 9000 rpm is gonna cut it for what I want to do.

I'll have to go study what those Unlimited Giant Scale Racers do to their engines for high rpm. But alas, I've got to work with at least some semblence of a budget.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm, a Super Duelist. I saw a guy on here build an enlarged twin .60 powered Duelist. Maybe too big, but how about OS 1.60 FX's? Mine pulls around a 17 pound KMP Sea Fury at a solid 120 to 130mph's with an APC 18x12 prop. I flew it at Joe Nall this year and I was outrunning every 50cc warbird there.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Airbike
So I'm trying to keep my mind open as to engine possibilities, but I don't think 9000 rpm is gonna cut it for what I want to do.
I'll have to go study what those Unlimited Giant Scale Racers do to their engines for high rpm. But alas, I've got to work with at least some semblence of a budget.
Sometime in the future I'm going to build a speed machine using a MT62 for power. It's a clone of the G-62, the parts are interchangeable, and I've got five of them NIB, hey they where cheap. Ralph Cunningham races G-62 on gas/alcohol mix and spins them to 11,000 rpm with I think a 19"pitch prop in AT-6 races. My plane will be a straight liner looking more like a Sundowner.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

use the k& b 100 fan engine re set compression height use some 30-50 percent nitro, in a clean airframe you will either scare yourself or grin like a jackass eating stickers...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Airbike

ORIGINAL: lfinney

use the k& b 100 fan engine re set compression height use some 30-50 percent nitro, in a clean airframe you will either scare yourself or grin like a jackass eating stickers...
I like this.
I need to find one more K&B 100 fan engine then for the twin. I have a NIB Rossi 81 fan engine that I'm gonna try and stuff into a 1970's era Formula One airframe that I found at a fun fly (never completed, so prime for modifications).

This is what extreme speed is about...fun and adrenalin. Like my electric pylon F5D motors screeming along at 42,000+ rpm

On the Super Duelist, a small group here on RCU enlarged the Duelist to a twin .60 size, about 84" span, and made about 50 laser cut kits. I think one of the kits went to Dave Platt for appreciation for letting us do the enlargement.

I was kind of hoping (maybe wishful thinking) for 18000 with a 13x13 apc or there abouts.

Tanks for the ideas guys.