Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Field box

Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
haikt
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Field box

I am thinking about building a field box for some of my lighter work. I have a large one that I built some years ago with several compartments and such but it is too big and heavy for quick runs to the field. I was wondering what some of you guys will be interested in. something maybe smaller and lighter,?
give me some ideas of ideal box.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Field box

The problem with having several different interests is the inevitable clutter you get from the special tools that one certain set up needs or the other. It would be great to have dedicated boxes.
My box is entirely open from the top, the center divider serves as the handle [made out of 3/4" plywood. The rest of the box is 1/4" door skin. There are big blocks of spongy foam that I stab all the various drivers and tools into. It's a mess now and the foam needs to be replaced every couple of years. Not as neat as a "racer's" box, but it is more general purpose. There's enough room for most everything and it measures roughly 12x10x 6 deep.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is all I use now, bring seperate tool boxes for other stuff. This gives me just what I need to start a plane, and just a couple tools and glow plugs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75118.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1334160  
Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 AM
haikt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats about what I had in mind. I like the clean look and minimal size. For other tools I have tool box in the car.
Thanks for the input.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Laser cut kits available of that box at www.supertrc.com
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM
haikt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was playing around with some ideas and this is what I got so far.
Let me know what you think.

Name:	Xv65324.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1336009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57205.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1336010  
Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 PM
haikt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got some more done almost finished
Now have to get the cut page going

Name:	Li21025.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1336592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41740.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1336593  
Old 12-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Bundubasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Haikt... Keep going pal, let the inspiration flow, we are watching with keen interest... Cheers
Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys, on the subject of field boxes...

My flying is all glow or gas, so what I've been doing for years is to use a flight tote similar to the pic that Daven showed in his post. The ONLY things I keep in it are fuel, battery and starter, and only the minimal things actually needed on the flight line. That's the simplest way to go without having to carry a bunch of crap you rarely use.

The thing is, I like to carry some other tools to the field "just in case", so I've been using the Plano 737 tacklebox filled with "repair" tools and accessories for quite a while (you know; extra spark plugs, tie wraps, yada yada yada).
But I never really got to like it because of the front fold-down cover that often got in the way of opening the bottom drawer. I also didn't like how the top compartment was as shallow as it was. Plus, it was heavy; not terribly so, but heavier than I liked.
But it didn't take long before I broke the front fold-down lid by stepping on it (me and everyone else), although I DID like the front hatch over on the side on the front that held three parts boxes.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a minimalist, so I kept looking for a better (and lighter) option to replace the Plano box, and I finally found it.
I'm afraid that I'll be accused of shilling here because of some of the "hype" this box is getting elsewhere, but I found the PDY Lift 'n Lok at a local woodworking outlet here in Houston and saw right away that it had some possibilities.
I bought it and took it home, and after I transferred everything, I was surprised to find that I still had several empty drawers left. Surprised because it didn't "seem" to be as big as the Plano box (narrower but taller).

The reason I find the PDY box to be "amazing" is that it satisfies my minimalist nature, and it's light. In fact, the filled PDY box was a little lighter than the empty Plano box, and there's even room to stash a couple of transmitters in the top compartment (although I don't; I keep my TX's in their own cases). The top compartment is where I put the three parts boxes that used to be in the side compartment of the Plano, and there's still plenty of room to spare. All I'm saying is that you can really load some stuff into this box if you want.

Anyway, this is just a heads up that I think that someone has finally come up with the most simple, light, and artful solution to a flight box I've seen yet.
I was on the verge of designing and building my own box in order to come up with my "perfect" flight box, but I'd have to spend a LOT more of my time and money on doing so than the $50 this thing cost, so I'm done.
My flight tote carrying fuel, battery and starting accessories, and this PDY box, together allow me to carry everything and anything I want to take to the field without having to make a chiropractor rich.

My .02...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 AM
BarryReade

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HF, sounds great, I am always looking for a better mousetrap so to speak. 

But, we need pictures. 
Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarryReade

HF, sounds great, I am always looking for a better mousetrap so to speak.

But, we need pictures.
Ask, and ye shall receive.

What you're looking at is my self-designed tote alongside the PDY box, and those two things together are the sum total of everything I take to the field other than airplanes and radios.
If the fuel bottle is full, and with the weight of the starter sitting above the 7amp battery, the darn tote is heavier than the fully loaded PDY box.
Go figger. [X(]

http://www.pdysystems.com/

Name:	Db86434.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1393325