Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Maiden flight: Weston Magnum Electric (Update: #609 crash-video)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Maiden flight: Weston Magnum Electric (Update: #609 crash-video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 05:39 PM
RampRat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden flight: Weston Magnum Electric (Update: #609 crash-video)

As stated in an different thread, my electric Magnum was ready for it's first flight.

The Magnum was converted from a new kit, a Actro 24-5 brushless for power, a APC 14x10 cut down to 10" for thrust, and 24 Sanyo 1700SCR-cells for fuel.

Weight at takeoff was 2,5 kg's and CG at 135 mm's.

I lauched it myself (for the first time), and quickly discovered that my left arm isn't worth more than the wristwatch it's carrying when it comes to throwing models...

It was a lousy throw, and the model went 2-3 meters while it torque-rolled over on to its back and pointed the nose straight up. I now had a hovering Magnum at my hands. By this time, no counteractions on the TX had helped, so i figured the Magnum was done for.
After a few seconds it started drifting and picking up speed before flying off inverted...

The rest of the flight was without any special remarks. No trimming needed, and it must have been as fast or slightly faster than my other Magnum, and there was more than enough power available. The torque was however very much present, but i expectet that with such a coarse prop.

Landing was faster than usual since the landing-weight was the same as the takeoff-weight, but i had plenty of elevator-throw available to lift the nose and bleed off the speed before touchdown.
Unfortunatly, the prop caught the grass, resulting in a sudden stop, and a bent prop-shaft. I might consider using a folding prop from now on...

I was planning on filming it, but my usual cameraman was busy, so i ended up at the field on my own...

Notes for future flights:
Do not lauch yourself! The torque was more than the ailerons could handle at that low speed, so less than full power and a good throwing-arm is recomended...
Old 07-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the first flight... to bad you had to conclude it with an (expensive) bent shaft...

You could consider moving the CG a little more back since you don't have it shifting to the back during the flight on electric power. I left mine at 135 mm because it balances like that with the battery in a convenient place... but I think the plane would handle a little better with the CG at 140 mm or even a little further.

What ground rpm are (were) you getting on the 10x10?

Did you use the Actro because it was the only thing you had at hand?
I'm not into electrics, but I think there are more suitable motors around for your application...
Old 07-05-2003, 10:44 PM
RampRat

The CG worked fine, so i'll probably stick with it for now..

Did not measure rpm this time..

I bought it because i got it very very cheap from a guy who bought it, tried it, and couldn't use it... Half price of new motor and controller, and batteries included as a plus..

It is intended for other projects later on, but the Magnum was a good place to start.

The Actro isn't much of a speed-motor, so i had to use a coarse prop to compensate for it's lack of rpm's... I think the speed would benefit from an even more coarse prop as i have no need for a "hovering prop" like this 10(14)x10...

Maybe a CAM Carbon 15x13 cut down to 8" would be fun?
Old 07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
RampRat

Ok.. The Magnum is ready for a second try...

New shaft and prop-adapter installed, and the APC has been replaced with a CAM Carbon folding prop, a 14x10 cut down to 9,25 inches... With a 52 mm centerpiece, the prop folds back along the cowling, and that should do wonders for the drag on this heavy bird after the engine is shut down, and the shaft will never bend again...

I hope to have it airborne tomorrow if i have my charger-problem sorted out by then...

A 14x12-prop is on backorder, and i hope to have a cameraman at the field tomorrow...
Old 07-09-2003, 07:22 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

It was a lousy throw, and the model went 2-3 meters while it torque-rolled over on to its back and pointed the nose straight up. I now had a hovering Magnum at my hands
LOL... I guess that means you crossed over from extreme speed to 3d all in one plane now Thank goodness you saved it from the hover though...
Old 07-09-2003, 07:36 PM
RampRat

Well.. I had lost all hope at that time actually, because i never expected that it had enough thrust to hover the 2,5 kg's... It proved me wrong...

The ailerons however, did not have any affect, and the same when pushing the stick.. The throws was not enough to give any noticable effect... Pulling the stick did fortunatly give results, so i managed to get it away from me and get enough speed to gain roll-control....

Very scary, and i don't intend to do it again...

I'm building a laucher for it next, and until then, i'll use someone with a good arm...
Old 07-13-2003, 08:09 PM
RampRat

That was it for Magnum #609....

After one pass, i lost all control of the Magnum while going from crosswind-leg to the downwind-leg for a second pass....

It started pitching up and down while rocking from side to side, and although i immediatly shut the engine down, it still ran at full power when it hit the ground, inverted, at a 30-40 degree angle...

The fuselage was more or less vaporized all the way from the nose to mid-wing, but it looks like the engine only sustained minor damage (bent/corkscrewed prop-shaft). Engine-controller has some component-damage, but they are easily replaced, and it will work again if i'm lucky.

Wing is repairable, and will probably be used again on my other Magnum, unless i build a new Magnum from the wing and the tail-section (still intact)...

After studying the video, i'm convinced that the engine was creating the noise that shot it down, as it started while flying out from the field, and got worse fast until it was totally ucontrollable... The noise simply cancelled out the TX-signals...

It was range-tested prior to flight, but this was apparently not enough...

I might post the video later on...
Old 07-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Rudeboy

Sorry to hear that Ramp... You were pioneering with that E-Magnum...
Old 07-14-2003, 01:33 AM
RampRat

Well... **** happens...

Although my cameraman sucks (he knows..), here is the crash-video with subtitles...
Old 07-14-2003, 01:51 AM
Rudeboy

You're right... your cameraman really sucks...
Old 07-14-2003, 03:10 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

after watching the video many many times, I'm not convinced he ever had the airplane in the shot LOL!!!!!!

sorry to see the demise though, next time will be better
Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Gricey

doh really sorry to hear about your loss. Makes me remember though to solder on some noise capacitors to the back of my can before I let my eMagnum loose. Maybe it was a good thing that I'm still saving for the 10cell packs...

Keep up the spirit Ramprat, will you try again?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Gricey

are you sure this isn't why the guy was selling the kit cheap?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:48 PM
RampRat

Gricey:

Well... I guess that would qualify as a reason for getting rid of it...

I'll probably try again... If i get the can and electronics running again, i'll check it for noise... Next time, i'll be wiser, and won't in such a hurry to test it...

After taking a closer look at the remaining parts, making a new bird shouldn't be much of a problem..

The canopy can be fixed with som fibreglass, the tail-surfaces are pretty much without damage, and the wing has some easily fixed damage... That leaves the fuselage, wich should be easily duplicated considering i have one more...

The E-Magnum shall rise!!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Gricey

sounds like she should be re-christened the phoenix.... ;-)

Our local flying site is the Phoenix Park in Dublin. Quite an apt name however, I would hesitate a guess that over 80% of the crashed birds there never rise again..... Not mine at least anyway :-)