Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

New Whiplash pics!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New Whiplash pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 12:47 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Whiplash pics!

Smitty, I did shorten them 1 1/4" on each side. Just glued the aileron-to-wingtip gap with epoxy and then made a different cut 1 1/4" inboard.

But then it gets messy...I cut the ailerons all the way off and replaced them with hard balsa ailerons which were sheeted with 1/64" ply. To do this I had to Dremel out the glue bumps in the cavity remaining in the TE of the wing, epoxy a piece of 5/16" Sq hard balsa into the cavity, and re-hinge.

I can't really say if this mod is needed. Many Whiplashes are flying just fine with stock ailerons and no trouble and I hate to recommend you make a potentially critical mod just based on what I did.

I lost my first Whiplash due to aileron troubles, but I was admittedly pushing it a bit too hard. I decided to do this mod based on my earlier experiences, but I hate to advocate people to cut the ailerons off their Whiplashes.
As for the paint..I have no idea what Ken used. He is the paint master, I just told him to do what he saw fit. I do know it is an automotive-type paint, but I don't know what kind. I know it is some very expensive paint, but was left over from larger jobs. I think he said the yellow was like $100/pint, and some of the orange and root beer colors were more expensive than that. Oh yeah..he said the red was Viper Red.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
Oh yeah..he said the red was Viper Red.

Well then that thing HAS to be fast...
Old 07-24-2003, 04:24 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

if he's an automotive painter and yellow's and reds are costing that much, I would almost bet money he's spraying House of Kolor paints. Beautiful paint, but outrageously priced. I've sprayed it, but I can get most of the colors in standard base coat for 1/2 the cost usually

However, your whip looks great!!!!!! If you don't mind me asking, what did he charge you to paint that? or was it a case of, just let me have some fun with it
Old 07-24-2003, 04:28 PM
ChuckAuger

I don't think he paints cars, per se, not like an autobody shop.

If he wants to post what I paid, that's up to him, but you're right...he wanted to do it.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Roadrunner1390

Chuck, do you think that cutting down the alerons and just molding the 1 1/4 at the tip with epoxy and glass will help ??

what type of trouble did you have with the full alerons ?? Flutter ??

And with the rossi 53 possibly hitting 180 mph will I need to be concerned ??

Thanks for the quick replys
Old 07-24-2003, 07:32 PM
ChuckAuger

I didn't use any glass..the gap was quite narrow, just a bandsaw width, so I just glued it solid and the re-cut. That is...with the aileron perfectly stock, I put some epoxy glue in the small gap between the end of the aileron and the stationary tip of the wing. When this glue dried, I took a bandsaw and cut a new gap 1 1/4" inboard of the original cut.

See the bottom pic in the first post in this thread to see how much more my aileron is inset than your Whip..that's all that is.

I think getting the tip of the aileron out of the wingtip turbulence can't hurt.

Go to post #23 of This Thread to see the trouble I had..