Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

aileron servos for .40 Patriot (HELP)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

aileron servos for .40 Patriot (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aileron servos for .40 Patriot (HELP)

ok first of all there are just too many choices.........it's like walking into Tire shop.

i am setting up the Patriot with a Jett 50 and will use a servo for each aileron.

i will be running 6v, 12Z radio with 6008 Rx

price is not the issue here as with what's invested, i am not one to cheap out on the hardware.

my choices,
9602 (metal gear)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH307&P=0

9650 (nylon gear)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDTB4&P=0

i like these because they can be side mounted.

other choices are,

9002 (nylon gear)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZN9&P=0

what i don't know is, are any of these up to the task?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: aileron servos for .40 Patriot (HELP)

I beat the tar out of standard Futaba servos for years and years. Depending on how you set the linkage up, the aileron servos mainly need to put up with the jolt of landings and some engine buzz.
I would trust a pair of HS-225s if the plan is to use 2.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM
summerwind

thx.....i could buy those as well.......problem is i already have the one i have listed. just not sure which/if they'll do the job.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still use standard servos for alot of stuff, and 440 hardware, especially for a 40 size airplane. I also like the 225's, tough little guys.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

225's will handle the elevons on a Screamin Demon with a .50 .. although I recognize there are certainly fancier servos available. But as a reference for torque output they are up to the aileron duty on the Patriot. I'd suggest you aim for a minimum of 40 oz-in, that number being pulled from my yoo-hoo completely but based on a dash of forethought. If you're going to spend that much money, would digital wing servos not be a thought? Like HS-5125's? At $50 a pop what makes the Futaba coreless minis more endearing in comparison? You may have your reasons, just wonderin'.

MJD

Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM
DougV

Mike,

I was using 2xS3001 for the wings (one on each half). Keep in mind that the ailerons move very little on this model, it rolls really fast with just very little input.

Doug.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
daven

The 9650 nylon geared digital is a great servo. Has become the servo of choice in the fastest racing classes for those that prefer futaba.

Awesome servo.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
MJD

I hadn't looked at the 9650 specs, I was lazily only referring back to the 9602's when I said why not use digitals instead of $50 coreless analogs. Indeed - the 9650 looks like a great little servo for this application as well as pylon model ailerons. And delta elevons.

Today's $15 standard "yawn" servos would have been high-end treasures not all that long ago.

MJD
Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
summerwind

OK, you guys and my friend Minnflyer made this a lot easier

since i already have the 9650's, i'll setup for those.
the 9602's are identical except they are analog metal geared but are for some reason a lesser torqu rating.........they'd work too except it seems the consensus here in the speed forum is to avoid metal gear...........or is that wrong?

the reason why i like Futaba and choose them first was built into me from when i grew up with my Dad....he was a stickler for staying with same brand items although, before he passed away he was known to use some RCD stuff..he likee the pricee

thx guys,
mike
Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
daven

metal develops slop more quickly than nylon, and it only takes a little slop at high speed to start flutter.

Plus the metal gears are heavier.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
summerwind

that makes sense Dave.

i remember my electric 3D planes that had HS-65HB's in them, and the ones that had the 65MG's.
the HB's stayed tight while the MG's develop a lot of slop. not going fast in those things so it didn't matter.

i read somewhere that it's a good idea to increase the width of the elevator on this plane......yes-no?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: summerwind
since i already have the 9650's, i'll setup for those.
the 9602's are identical except they are analog metal geared but are for some reason a lesser torqu rating.........they'd work too except it seems the consensus here in the speed forum is to avoid metal gear...........or is that wrong?
Dave's covered that, but yes, more people than not in these parts advise to avoid metal gear with high speed stuff and high rpm stuff which quite often goes hand in hand. High buzz factor beats on gear trains too, the plastic gears would be more compliant and eat each other's faces off more slowly I would imagine.

But as to torque, beyond electronics the difference could just be gear ratio, as they are physically different gear sets. Or not, but Hitec for example usually has several sets of servos in "high torque" and "high speed" versions, meaning the output arm is in 2nd or 3rd gear. Or "sail winch" where the output arm is in 1st low but the feedpack pot is geared even lower yet. Well you get the drift.

MJD