Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Forum speed limit, calling all curmudgeons!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Forum speed limit, calling all curmudgeons!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forum speed limit, calling all curmudgeons!

I think we need a speed limit on this forum. Not a maximum, but a minimum..

How about if it ain't gonna go at least 100, take it to the "Gentle Sport Aircraft" forum?

Just kidding of course, but it seems that the percentage of real speed efforts on here is about 2%. But I guess everyone has to get their taste of hot-rodding somehow at first!

And what's with upgrading motor systems on foam sport lekkies here? Ugh.. [:-]

***** ***** *****. Let's see, too much caffeine or too little this morning?

Back to drawing a fast airplane, with fresh tea of course.

Cheers, just rambling and stirring the pot for fun.

MJD
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Forum speed limit, calling all curmudgeons!

Speed is in the eye of the beholder. I thought my glow powered Zagi was fast (and it was until it self destructed) until I put a Rossi Q-500 engine on a DD. Now it's Q-500 airframes with Jetts and Nelsons.....Like you said...everyone has to get a taste somewhere.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
summerwind

Oh really?
well beat this.............it'll be fast enough
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15621.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1375014  
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
MJD

Where's the pulsejet..??? [:-]
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anyone see the news blurb about this guy who strapped a homemade rocket to his back and went sledding, rocket blew up and he got badly burned?? made me think of this forum...hehe, i agree with MJD, isnt there some kind of threshold? for speed?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
daven

increasing speed is a progression, you don't start off doing 200 mph without working yourself up a ladder.

Lets not discrimate against the newcomers to speed, cause they will be the blazers 5 years from now.

We know ho the true Extreme Speed people are, no need to have posts from the same 10 people day after day.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
summerwind

it's like topics really.....i and others have posted a specific topic to which there is a specific answer, but you get all kinds of answers and generally arguement that had nothing to do with the original topic.

looking back at the beginning pages of this board has much more useful information.
it's just a matter of searching and researching.
a starting point is needed for all of us at times however boring it may seem to the pros
Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a newbie to speed. I accedentally put together a little electric combo that hauled "six" using a brushless DF electrec and a lil APC prop. I'm hooked! I then took and old worn out Big Stick 40 strapped a TT 61 and a Mac's tuned pipe to it. Not as fast as the little leckie but tripple digets indeed. Now I have the Weston Magnum in my key word notifications when they pop up on RCU's market place. All I can say you guys are fast there too. One showed up for $110 and it was sold before I could see the notification. There's another but that guy want $400 for his first generation Magnum[:'(]

Summerwind, that is a beutiful Neuport!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
BiggerDanno

Hey, if my heli will only do 99 mph, does it qualify?
I only have one plane that cannot exceed 100, that's my trainer (we use high-wing 40 size trainers in a two pole pylon race at our club, my Falcon 56 dominates).

Speed is in the blood for me, been racing any and everything I can since I was 5 yo.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The word "EXTREME" has been over used in general. It has less meaning now than it did before they came out with Extreme Nachos, Extreme Cheetos, Extreme Razorblades......

I've always been disappointed with the lack of interest in RC speed outside of racing. Our local club field frowns on it for good reason after getting hauled into court a couple times. I'll bet the same deal holds true many places across the country.

If we didn't have posts from the same 10 people here..what would we have?

If there weren't posts from the same 10 people at the pylon forum... what would they have?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 PM
ftjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been known for fast airplanes but have to admit this is my first attempt at the "Extreme" side. With my brand new Magnum on a dopplar read of 110 with a twenty year old plain Jane engine, i'm happy and figure that i am on the road to extreme speed heaven. That 110 just wet my appetite.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Bundubasher

ORIGINAL: MJD

Where's the pulsejet..??? [:-]
Hehehe, MJD, I was about to ask, what about something like a little 36" pulse jet strapped to the back? see pic........
Now we just need a suitable plane to haul through space and time....... If I'm not mistaken, the pulse jet record stands somewhere around 415 kmh..(260 mph) .[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
I've got this old pulse jet engine laying around, gathering dust, just need plans for a plane....bring it on baby.....our flying field have (except for ostriches and deer), not a soul around for about 10 miles around.......

Name:	Mk26405.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1375065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36744.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1375066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85183.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1375067  
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
still4given

We probably should have a speed forum that doesn't use the term "extreme". There are a lot of us who are very interested in speed but not necessarily interested in taking a tiny delta and strapping a Q40 engine on it so we can make low passes with a split S on each end. My interest is more in the direction of finding ways of making a variety of engines perform better and learning about different airframes that can be made to go fast. We don't really have a forum like that so I come here to listen to and share ideas about how to accomplish that.

Blessings, Terry
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
MJD

It's all good, my comment about speed limit was semi-tongue in cheek. It is great to have a resource to come to when someone wants to perk up their flying somewhat and start tearing up the sky. But I wanted to stir the pot a bit and see what folks had to say on the topic.

The most important thing is to research, try, do, and progress.. and start where you are comfortable. Anytime progress is made towards a goal, life is good.

A lot of people here try hard to help folks out each time, and that makes it a great resource. And if they can survive the ribbing in the process they even come back.

The crazy fast stuff belongs here big time, and the mid-speed stuff is all good too or there would be no forum. I guess it falls on some manufacturers to offer more "bait" for the dark side. As a matter of fact, I've been very busy designing something I think is tres cool just these past two days while resting up after last week's ordeal. Imagine a classic pattern design tweaked a bit, with an abundance of power (as the builder sees fit) and the aerodynamic package redesigned for different goals in mind, goals highly in keeping with this forum's intent. I'm tickled with the design so far, now to the bat-cave to CNC fuselage plug parts and cut some wing cores. And all the other projects too.. [&:]

hey Bundu - looks like an Italian Zanin something-or-other, right? One of my goals for this season is to get this engine in the air on a delta. The Demon just doesn't look big enough though does it? My ultimate goal is to get an Fi103R built. That would pretty much cap off my ambitions for speed, noise and hooliganism I think. That's a two year fun project in my books. BTW I have a CAD drawing of the team Helmond delta that you see frequently in those pulsejet videos, and considering the engine is nearly identical in performance specs i'll just go with that for my first effort. That does not include the Dynajet Demon that is already, though only just, underway now. Hey Vic, we're cominnnng... and we're bringing Canadian beer. You provide the hedonistic girls though, they're tough to get into the country.

MJD

p.s. the pdf is just one iteration of several of the basic design, this particular sketch takes into account the tubby fuselage and fearsome lack of wing area on a true scale model and the horrific stall speed that would result. But I spoke with one of the few or only people that has ever built a scale model of this with pulsejet power, and he was adamant that I go true scale and sounded like he;d refuse to acknowledge it if I did not.. So I probably will go true scale profile and let what happens happen. Without the scale 1800lb Amatol warhead it should be a bit lighter on the wing. Mind you he did equip his with a drogue chute for landings.. so it can't have been too relaxing. I guess if it glides at 70 it glides at 70.. don't fly it at the ballpark, and it will still seem slow compared to powered flight. Besides, it will be 1.5kg lighter during glide, not counting any missing control surfaces and paint. Hopefully 2011. A local buddy just got his CNC machine on line so plug-making should become less daunting in the future.

Name:	wu60524.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	1375149  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bz77300.pdf (17.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

I started out flying prop jets and I thought that was as fast as you'll get before buying a turbine, then I built my first Screamon' Demon and boy that destroyed my respect for prop jets as far as speed goes, but this forum has been awesome for me, its what got me more fired up about speed...and such a wealth of knowledge from different modelers throughout this forum, and have met some pretty cool people through here also, which has been a real bonus. Speed freaks are few and far between around here, so this helps to meet other people into it via internet.
Its also fun to post pics and start threads sharing with you guys what I've been working on and such, and get others inputs.

Btw my typing skills got better too, now if I could just get spelling right I'd be all set, thank goodness for spellcheck.[&:]
Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 PM
combatpigg

Yep......this forum might be the most loosely defined of them all.
It is what it is.....a goulash of various planes and projects.
What would be cool is to see some C/L speed projects from time to time.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Sessholvlaru

What is the C/L speed record?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
MJD

I only know the FAI record, but considering it is with a 2.5cc engine I think it is incredible - 208.something mph. That is why one day when I can spare about $750 bucks I am determined to get hold of an Irvine or Profi .15 and build something RC for it. It would not be an easy project to get working right, although for a few grams of course there is IMC. I need to do it while the two curves of RC flying ability and eyesight/reflexes plotted against age haven't buried themselves below the X-axis..

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vAw1CC4A3g]F2A speed record[/link]

And a cool page with lots of CL stuff: [link=http://www.go-cl.se/cl.html#prop]CL links[/link]

MJD

Hey smoknRV4, speilnig is hgilhy orevtared awnayy, just get the frist and lsat ltetres in the right place in ervey wrod and the rest sohmweere in the mdldie, and polelpe can raed it fnie.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry for stinkin up the forum with my slow junk[sm=72_72.gif]
Hopefully my wing stays togeather long enough to prove I can fly faster than 160 this year.[:@]

Mike, there are plenty of hedonistic women in Canada...It's just that they are built for pulling.[sm=52_52.gif]
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
MJD

More >200mph C/L hijinxs.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGkOX9n4eMA&NR=1]UK pulsejet cl record[/link]

Whee, fun! Note there is no whipping and unloading to get on the pipe with pulsejets, they're resonating or they ain't running! Just start running in circles NOW!

5-6 ounces of fuel or thereabouts consumed there AFAIK.. [:-] It was more with nitromethane blends.

Sunday flying..

MJD

Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 PM
MJD

Back to R/C pulsejets..

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELbIozXyGI]450 kph delta[/link]

The engine I pictured above is an 80N unit. So this is what I hope to be doing sometime in 2010. Hey Vic.. we's comin'..
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: vicman

I'm sorry for stinkin up the forum with my slow junk[sm=72_72.gif]
Hopefully my wing stays togeather long enough to prove I can fly faster than 160 this year.[:@]

Mike, there are plenty of hedonistic women in Canada...It's just that they are built for pulling.[sm=52_52.gif]
And they are very hard to climb out from underneath..

And get it together with the fast airplanes, would ya?

MJD
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

heres a pic to drool over, a D speed motor, nelson barstock front end, nelson head etc and nelson piston and sleeve, OS crankcase

Name:	Zw69457.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1375380  
Old 02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
combatpigg

I'd like to see that one flip started......[:-]
What size prop for it?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 PM
MJD

According to the prop guys, the high timed D speed motors are running low 8" diameters and 9 and change pitch, in the 25-28k regime. 8.125x9.5 in that area. Those are pitch speeds in the 210-230 region.. yikes!

I want one. I want that one.

MJD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.