Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

New Demon ready to rip!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New Demon ready to rip!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Demon ready to rip!!!!

hey guys i will have mine ready for next weekend. I was just currious on what servos everyone is using for a hot engine setup?

Rich
Old 06-11-2010, 10:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Rich, I'm no expert.....but I've used just about every type of cheap standard servo in these planes with good results. If you have the mechanical linkage set with the best leverage, this will give any servo the best environment to do it's thing. So, I'm usually using the inner hole at the servo arm and about 1.125" up on the control horn. If you want to splurge on higher priced servos you'll most likely be buying longevity to withstand more rough landings and general abuse.
Tower has some heavy duty servos that could pinch your finger off for less money than name brand. I'm using a couple of them on a 160 mph plane.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 PM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

CP I was just concerned with slop in the gears and having enough torque. I was thinking of usion futaba 3010's but from my 3D flying days I know that the gears a brittle and I was unsure if hitech 475's would work. I think they have a carbonite gear and again they could be fragile. So as for servos with plastice gears my options are limited. I have a bunch of futaba 3004's laying around and was thinking of running them at 6 volts or a set of hitech 225's with plastic gears. I am new to this class of plane. I have had vipers, outlaws, and have a kangke F3D. So in other words i just want to make sure I do this right the first time. This one will have a jett ss 50 on it so I am hoping to hit around 170.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:19 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

i use 3004 futaba's with a a123 pack for over one year at 120 plus speeds zero problems, i frankly wouldn't worry much
Old 06-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Well i got several more flights in last night with the demon... switched back to the 9X8 and set up dual rates. On high rates does it ever roll!!! My wife came out and watched me fly (a rarity) and when i flipped to high rates and cranked it she was like "OH NO!!" she thought i had lost it... hee hee hee!! Made many wide open passes down the runway at about 3-4 feet off the ground.... i love the sound as it goes by!!! On my last flight when i brought it in just a little off centre of the runway and must have hit a small rock or something when it landed as it ripped the covering wide open on the bottom.. I fly at our local municiple runway and the centre is decent but once you get to the side a bit the grass gets mighty thin! Oh well i was going to put some striping on the bottom for better visibility anyways...

Geoff
Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 PM
combatpigg

Glad to hear such a great report! Keeping an eye open for the ideal landing spot is probably the hardest part of the whole deal. My field is full of moles hills and sometimes the farmer brings in truck loads of runny cow manure.
It is pretty amazing to see these things roll!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I went out last night with my little spreader and 6 bags of grass seed/fert mixture and spread it on a patch about 300 feet long.... The airstrip only gets used by one spray plane pilot and he was thrilled that i would put grass out there.... it's supposed to rain tomorrow (again!!!) and hopefully it will take off soon.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Pegleg1972

Are these kits still available?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
mumblety-peg

I ordered on last week. Should be here this week.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM
dlpackray
My Feedback: (2)

holy smokes, you guys are making my heart speed up just reading these replies.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without any attempt at exaggeration, I would say the roll rate of my production prototype at speed (Jett .50, clipped 8.8x9.0 prop) on high rate is around 8-10 rolls per second. Bleeds off speed pretty quick but for a while it is a blur. But.. I advise against trying to fly low and fast at those rates!

And the elevons still seem to be firmly attached. It uses HS-225s on 4 cell Rx pack.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 PM
mumblety-peg

Hi Guys... I'm moving this little guy up to the top of the building que. I was just looking over the instructions. Is the engine faring worth the work? I'm probably aiming for 150 mph to make me happy. How much speed will an OS55 buy me? I could spring for a JETT I suppose. But I already have the OS.

I'm psyched... my last glow delta was a missile on a 46 FX. I missed the runway on a dead stick and walked away from RC for a while.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
combatpigg

It'll do 150 with or without the fairing. The fairing is mainly to make it look sinister.......[8D]
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said.

I have no quantitative info on what speed gains a cowling/fairing can give. This might happen as the spring flying season progresses, I have one model set up for my West .50 with a full engine/tank compartment FG cowl. As a side exhaust the header still juts out and the pipe is hanging. But since the muffler or pipe is always hanging out on side exhaust configs, if I get the chance to clock it with and without the cowl perhaps we can put some numbers to the idea.

For good quick fun, just bolt the engine in and let it rip. If you get inspired to fair it in later then go for it. BTW it's pretty easy to fair in the bottom side of the engine, with a rectangle of 1/64" ply and some relief cuts and scores in the corner between the nose ring and the wing if you follow me. Use paperboard (cereal box material or cut up a file folder) to generate a pattern. Dunno if I took pics when I did this on one, I'll look when I get home.

As to walking away from RC after a crash - it's tough to deal with the carnage, but once in a while it's just gonna happen. At least with a delta like this you can say it's a quick build relative to what you could have re-kitted. One day I might actually build my TF Gold Edition P-51.. now that, I would have a hard time with rekitting.

MJD
MikesRC

Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
mumblety-peg

Thanks Mike, I think I'll start with no cowel and maybe add it later. And yup... I understand about re-kitting. I've actually been flying again for some time. And, if the rain ever stops, I may fly again. How could the ten day weather report be rain every day?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Pegleg1972

Just thought i would show cowl i made.Just have to put winglets on.Sand and cover.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68569.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1593570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12958.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1593571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87577.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1593572  
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 PM
combatpigg

Looking good Pegleg...! You'll have that baby ready to rock pretty soon now that most of the work is behind you.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Lookin' good Pegleg!