Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

os 91 vr-df

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 AM
craigdennis15
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 91 vr-df

is there any readily available kit, plans or other that can accept an os 91 vr-df and be somewhat quick? without heavily modifying the air frame? from what ive read from my searches there was a strega but i havent seen or heard of any for sale yet, i have seen many say get an 80s pattern ship and modify the wing. i have come across a me 163 that could fill the bill but it is a belly lander with gear that detaches on take off. i guess id like an idea of whats out that could reach speeds above 120 with this engine and also has some sort of gear.(700foot asphalt runway is really rough on belly landers) i understand i need carbon props in a 9 inch diameter ect and the properly tuned pipe and i have the bvm in flight air mixture adjust as well. ive seen someone posting on here that they have a mustang with this engine i believe that is quick but cant remember who what when or where lol to get more details. is there any way that this could be an option in a 60 size mustang as i have an arc thats been moded a little? i know its draggy but would be a site to see. thanks to any and all for help. im new to the quicker end of the spectrum but realize this is what i will enjoy most. please forgive me getting excited over 120+mph i know its a sneeze for most of you but im trying to work my way and my abilitys up.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
iflyg450

Default RE: os 91 vr-df

You can do 120 with a Thunder Tiger 46 with a APC 9x7 on the front of a Q500. Or put the .91 in a BVM fan in a BVM jet and go 170. If you have the engine go ahead, but I would not go that route for a first speed plane. On ebay there is a GREAT FIRST SPEED PLANE search for a Scat Cat its easy to build very stable it will get you 120++ with TT .46 Jett tunder muffler and a APC 9x7. No I am not the one selling the kit, but I might buy it for a spare.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM
craigdennis15

i appreciate the option thrown out and will look into it. i guess i knew i was gonna catch some flak but i more or less wanted to know what prop planes were available for such a large engine. as far as the glow ducted fan jets go i think id rather go the edf route with those but i understand im taking an engine out of one and using it for a completely undesigned purpose. as far as the question about the mustang goes, is there any way it could work until i could build a much more specialized plane for it? its a model tech arc and has been changed a little like rear retract as well and i got deep six the scoop and stuff and make her a little sleeker. just asking to see if its gonna damage the engine, because i belive ive read somewhere that if the airframe is to draggy it could cause the engine to work to hard and wear out or overheat. please excuse my ignorance, again im new to this area in the forums, i know i could get a much smaller engine and more specialized airframe and go alot quicker but if possible would be nice to work with what ive got until i can locate or build a suitable airplane for it. thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
iflyg450

No problem. I am not aware of any 90 size airframes other than a good old pattern plane. Pylon plane wise the stop at 40 size and pick up in gassers. Maybe someone else knows of a machine that will fit the bill. You might have to make your own. Good Luck
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
craigdennis15

i appreciate your help and did do a search on ebay because i have a couple warm engines around the size for the scat cat and couldnt find it just beanie babies lol. could u helpme out with that if you have the time as well please. thanks
craig
Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM
iflyg450

Well crap its gone! Check out matneymodels.com they have some really nice 15-40 size planes
Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 PM
craigdennis15

can anyone please at least let me know if it would hurt the engine to run it in the mustang?will the draggy frame cause to much resistance and overheat the engine? what size props are options? i know the optimal diameter is 9" from what ive read with a 10" pitch or so. i had a guy at the field tell me today to run a 12" diameter ect will this just not alow the engine to come up to full rpm? will it damage it? i have the model and the engine i need to know if its gonna hurt it or what would be the best way to go about this. i think id like to do this until i can get a true speed frame built and locate carbon props. please someone whom frequents this area and knows this engine help, please. i guess im not beyond begging lol.
thanks in advance.
craig dennis
Old 06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

the 91 OS df can be run with somewhat larger props, on a 40-60 size mustang arf such as a world models mustang, you could easily run a a 11x11 apc pattern prop and set the pipe length for that type of combo, its a relatively easy thing to do, a bubble-less tank like the jett engineering or tettra tank is recommended, please use a quality spinner such as a tru-turn, plastic spinners are dangerous on these type of engines, this is probably a good effort if you haven't run these type of planes before, you can likely exceed 150-160 mph, this demands heavy duty servos and battery pack, absolutely zero slop linkages
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

The DF motors that I have seen run used a APC 11x10 cut down to 10" ( the 11" prop has thicker stronger blades). They are piped to hit around 17k on the ground.

I've seen a couple in the Phoenix Models Strega and the Wings Maker PT-26. The World Models P-51 would probably work, but would not be as fast. You WILL have to re-enforce the wing, tail and firewall. You should end up with a 150-170mph plane.

This is NOT a good choice for a first speed project. The DF motors do not have a mid range, they are either on the pipe or they are blubbering around at about 1/2 throttle.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 PM
craigdennis15

i appreciate the responses guys, i may build it up slowly and in the meantime look for something thats smaller and cleaner then to get me use to speeds approaching those. thanks again
Old 06-16-2010, 12:25 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If that were my engine and I was stuck with asphalt, I'd build a 38 inch span delta and go with a belly wheel and music wire skids near the wing tips.
The landing gear would be for landings only, to keep the landing gear as tucked in as possible. It might work well to use pylon racer wheels on short struts.
It would be nice to design it around a pair of 8 oz tanks, so I'd locate the elevon servos out in the wing panels.
Basically the same weight and strength of components as a .40 size delta, with a few exceptions.
I'd be nice if they had a AAC version of that engine, that would save a ton of weight.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 AM
craigdennis15

thanks i have read alot of your posts and have really been interested at times about the deltas. i had no idea this could even be fitted to one that small. maybe ill go that route with a smaller engine and build first to get a hang of the airframe and habits of it. has any one done a delta that small with a big ducted fan engine other than i think i recall seeing one with a .77 on this forum? i also seem to like the idea of shaking up the club a little with the loud and fast airplanes. right now the fastest things there are a couple turbine jets maybe 1 time every cpl months. i think they have either 105 or 108db height cap but its not regualarly enforced, do u think id have issues if it was?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:17 AM
combatpigg

Once you see a 38 inch span delta framed up, it won't look that small to you. The wing area really starts to add up with modest increases in span.
The trick as always is to never overbuild, dead weight is really counter productive. Where FG tubing meets at intersections, I dowel the ends of the tubes and lash the tubes to plywood gussets. Then hit the lashing [carpet thread] and wood to FG joints with CA. You can get pretty creative, but it would be good to have a speed delta build under your belt so you aren't re-inventing every aspect of your build.
Yes, it would depend on your level of experience and natural knack and talent. Starting out with a .90 would obviously be more of a challenge, than a .45. Having someone with "big model" set up experience would be handy, but if you go with heavy duty hardware throughout you should be good to go. If you have a local club, there's usually someone who would be happy to lend advice.
I'm not sure about sound levels....a piped engine running about 20,000 sounds musical. Your flight will only last 5 minutes. You should be able to take care of business and be all packed up before the Sheriff shows up?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 AM
craigdennis15

lol the sheriff i more or less ment the guys that are in charge of safety ect at the club there would be no local law hopefully lol they may just shut it down but i know when theyre there and not so i can avoid it lol
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Craig:

I recall a similar project started by several Sacramento guys called "the slipstreem" I think. There are a few guys around the innernet that I would take as gospel, Combat Pig is high on that list. Because, a bunch of us old guys have been there and done that. Trying to save you a lot of money and grief. If you want to build a one off for the 91, you need to start from scratch cause you are in outer space. There are few with the overall ability to go real fast with something new. The German speed nuts are a good starting place. Research will show that the OS VRDF is not the best starting point. Experience proved that the Byron 90 fan motor is the best overall starting point for a big block, more reliable rpm there. The old OPS is another favorite hop up engine, but heavy and gotta be worked on. Again, the German gang has the most experience in that area. Dollar for dollar the Byron is your best bet.

What Ifly450 is trying to get across, is why re-invent the wheel? Wanna go 200, buy something proven off the shelf that will get there or near there. The quickee 500's keep coming up because they are great flyers and will get you there with a good engine and not break the bank very much. The formula airframes are a little quicker but harder to fly and land in general. I have a streemlined Q-500 based airframe with a CF wing and Jett 60 powered. It does scoot well beyond my limits to keep up with it. That can be another problem. I probably have more race time than you have living time, but can not keep up with that thing, but the excuse of being now 75 is decent. In way over my head for current abilitys. Why the Jett 60 LX? Cost reasonable, around $500., with a carb that works well for a engine cranking something around 20,000 rpm. You can slow it down and still be very reliable when you need it. It will outrun the 40's set up well. Then there is the new Miss Ashley hanging unfinished on the ceiling, $650.00 That took close to a year to get. Wonderful formula airframe set up motor mounted for the Jett 60. As life would have it, in the year waiting for the thing, got cataracts. Hope to get that taken care of and get it in the air before the grim reaper gets me. Gonna be close. Yes, there is a OPS 60 something in the motor cabinet from one of the German hop up kings, $250.00. And yes, should crank up around 24+K, $250.00. It will go to e-bay before I build something for it. Heavy, internals overworked so much I don't want to be around the thing while pushing design limits. And I'm a guy that test flew a full scale German Me 109 after rebuild cause everyone else was afraid of it. Wonderful airplane, flys better than a cessna or pits for that matter, squirley on the ground.

Save lots of grief, and money, and collect all the info you can get from the go faster guys in the "Brotherhood". Tons of experience out here willing to help another guy who wants to break the barrier. Outstanding minds and outstanding people. ENJOY
Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Craig:

I recall a similar project started by several Sacramento guys called "the slipstreem" I think. There are a few guys around the innernet that I would take as gospel, Combat Pig is high on that list. Because, a bunch of us old guys have been there and done that. Trying to save you a lot of money and grief. If you want to build a one off for the 91, you need to start from scratch cause you are in outer space. There are few with the overall ability to go real fast with something new. The German speed nuts are a good starting place. Research will show that the OS VRDF is not the best starting point. Experience proved that the Byron 90 fan motor is the best overall starting point for a big block, more reliable rpm there. The old OPS is another favorite hop up engine, but heavy and gotta be worked on. Again, the German gang has the most experience in that area. Dollar for dollar the Byron is your best bet.

What Ifly450 is trying to get across, is why re-invent the wheel? Wanna go 200, buy something proven off the shelf that will get there or near there. The quickee 500's keep coming up because they are great flyers and will get you there with a good engine and not break the bank very much. The formula airframes are a little quicker but harder to fly and land in general. I have a streemlined Q-500 based airframe with a CF wing and Jett 60 powered. It does scoot well beyond my limits to keep up with it. That can be another problem. I probably have more race time than you have living time, but can not keep up with that thing, but the excuse of being now 75 is decent. In way over my head for current abilitys. Why the Jett 60 LX? Cost reasonable, around $500., with a carb that works well for a engine cranking something around 20,000 rpm. You can slow it down and still be very reliable when you need it. It will outrun the 40's set up well. Then there is the new Miss Ashley hanging unfinished on the ceiling, $650.00 That took close to a year to get. Wonderful formula airframe set up motor mounted for the Jett 60. As life would have it, in the year waiting for the thing, got cataracts. Hope to get that taken care of and get it in the air before the grim reaper gets me. Gonna be close. Yes, there is a OPS 60 something in the motor cabinet from one of the German hop up kings, $250.00. And yes, should crank up around 24+K, $250.00. It will go to e-bay before I build something for it. Heavy, internals overworked so much I don't want to be around the thing while pushing design limits. And I'm a guy that test flew a full scale German Me 109 after rebuild cause everyone else was afraid of it. Wonderful airplane, flys better than a cessna or pits for that matter, squirley on the ground.

Save lots of grief, and money, and collect all the info you can get from the go faster guys in the "Brotherhood". Tons of experience out here willing to help another guy who wants to break the barrier. Outstanding minds and outstanding people. ENJOY
Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM
craigdennis15

i take what you guys say as gospel. i got the engine and in flight mixture control for cheap like 85$ cheap from aa friend and its in great hardly run shape. ive had this model tech 60 size p-51 arc for quite a while also. so this leads me where im at, ive got the mustang which i want to clone stiletto with, ive got the os .91vrdf. im in a completly different league then you guys, as of right now good speed to me has been maybe 100mph. so if i can get this engine to work in this stang thats going to be streamlined a little that would be awesome, what wold even be better is if it would go pretty good. i guess the general consensus is, is that its a waste to put this engine in this? ok, so do i shelf the engine until i build a suitable airframe around it? and in the mustang install a webra speed 1.20? or would itt be feasible to put in the fan engine and swap the two after thespecializedairframe is done? would the webra be quick in that mustang? im very up in the air and kinda had my heart set on making this warbird go like heck, but i take everything you guys say as the way to do things. i hope that you guys can bear with me and continue to help me, im sure i sound juvenile to you guys, and its funny you could tell i was a younger guy, what gave it away? (im 25 by the way)
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

"Bear with me"?

Heck guys like you are the reason that many of us keep coming back and reading posts here on RCU. You are literally the life-blood of our section!

I am nowhere near the league that many of the folks are in here but I still try to give blue-collar regular guy advice....Makes me feel important! LOL

I would sell the VRDF and put the cash towards a Jett-90 or YS-1.10+ for the Mustang. Even a YS-91 would be a pretty decent fit in there.

Not too sure of the Webra- I am sure folks will chime in though-

Enjoy
Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Whoa Whoa....Mustang- Please insert a 4 stroke!

I cannot believe I almost advised you to run a 2 cy. in a P-51 Mustang. [X(] Mortal sin-
Old 06-16-2010, 03:46 PM
mk1spitfire

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJX0LYFGdg[/youtube]
Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 PM
combatpigg

That's the exact model / guy I've been trying to remember. It looks like an easy to run combo, decent speed and lots of fun. I was very impressed by how easy this guy made it look, too.
I'd probably run the engine on as low a nitro as it will take and just have some fun.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM
mk1spitfire

It was the holding of the pipe in hand that triggered it.!!

I think the guy wanted a wheeled type plane for his 91?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
combatpigg

Well, put wheels on it then.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That flier down the line must be saying to himself "all I wanted to do was put in one flight, just one flight in peace and quiet with my [whatever] and then that thing has to go up at the same time.. bloody hl!"

Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Well, put wheels on it then.
Ha, thats the spirit, like it, retracts too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.