Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

os 91 vr-df

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 PM
mk1spitfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: os 91 vr-df

ORIGINAL: MJD

That flier down the line must be saying to himself ''all I wanted to do was put in one flight, just one flight in peace and quiet with my [whatever] and then that thing has to go up at the same time.. bloody hl!''

Ha, he's vulnarable, he can't take cover too!! All he can see is blur go past, hear a screemin pipe and can't hear his own engine. Maybe he's lecky flyer
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OS 120AX is lighter than the webra. i own both. the OS will be easier to put mufflers on where as the webra is a pain and only has a few types out there for it. run a 14x10 or a 13x11-12 prop on it and be in the 120mph range
Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 PM
craigdennis15
My Feedback: (9)

that thing is pretty quick, wow id have a heck of a time, lol. thanks again for not beatin me up. well i guess ill keep an eye out for other engines for the mustang. and start planing an airframe for the os.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
craigdennis15

does anyone know what happen with the strega the look had sold the molds to rocket rob for? i sent him a pm asking if they were ever gona be available but no response. just wondering if anyone else had any info
Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig:

You might try looking at the Bruce Tharpe Engineering Vortex or the Balsa USA Enforcer. Years ago, when I was flying ducted fans, a couple of us took the Enforcer and put a Byrons fan unit on the top of the fuse. Used the OS 91 VRDF and a Jet Model Products pipe. Plane flew really well and was fun. I took one of the planes and installed an OS 91 VRDF (also with a Jet Model Prod. pipe) in the stock position (prop sitcking thru the body of the wing). If memory serves, I took a Zinger 12 X 7 or 12X 8 prop and cut it down to about 11.5" diameter. An APC would probably be a more appropriate choice now. Plane flew well. I used the McCoy MC 9 DF plug and Sig 5% premium fuel. I used this combo (after having tried many different fuels and some different plugs) while flying the DF jets from 1986 to 2002. I used to add a couple of ounces of castor oil to the Sig fuel to ensure that I had 20% oil for winter time flying and 23% oil for summer time flying. My experience with the VRDF's is that they idle reasonably well, they have a good mid range transition (as long as the fuel and plug are correct and the carb is adjusted correctly) and tehy will certainly run on the top end. I have full confidence that they will perform well. While you never like to run and engine hot, I have had ocassions where my fan engines have gotten hot enough to cause the glass seal in the plug to fail. I still have the engine and it survived my abuse, so they will run if hot. This is one of the reasons I added extra oil, to ensure I had sufficient lubrication.

I still have three OS 77 VRDF's, eight OS 91 VRDF's and a few K&B fan engines and pipes. One of my future projects is to install two of the 77's or 91's into a scaled up Dave Platt Duellist. A few years ago, a few of us got permission from Dave Platt to scale up the Duellist. He kindly agreed and we produced an 87" version of the plane. My plan is to install two of my fan engines in the plane and fly fast.

I wish you good luck and am sure you will be successful. Please PM me if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-17-2010, 02:44 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

The Duellist 2/60? I snagged one of those kits from another modeller about a year ago. Doggone big airplane! I only have a pair of OPS .60's for mine though. Maybe a third one in the nose...?

MJD
Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

MJD:

That is probably on of the 300 kits that were produced. I estimated that the flying weight would be around 15 lbs. I think that two OPS 60's on pipes and with the right prop would be just fine. My plan is to mount the engines inverted with the pipes running thru the nacelles. I will probably relocate the gear just outboard of the nacelle and try to have the gear retract outward (so I don't have to worry about the pipe being in the way). I think that you could also lighten the plane a little if you changed some of the wood.

Ed
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
MJD

I did intend to give it the lightening treatment whereever I can, and add pipe tunnels to the nacelle. If I score a pair of .90's sometime the engine choice might change. Someone here has on on a pair of piped TT 1.20's IIRC.

MJD
Old 06-17-2010, 08:25 PM
craigdennis15

im sure those wouldbe quite a site i would love to see a dehaviland comet with som screaming engines as well. i imagine that would be fun not to mention it would look good also.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Craig,
Sorry I thought I answered you.
The prototype flew very well (OS .45 FIRE) and we have a couple of fuses set up for a 91DF. I have been working with Macs Products to make some custom pipes to keep as much of the pipe and header inside the belly pan. That has taken forever..... Also I have been in Germany and on the right coast and away from my shop since Feb. - but it will be tapering down in the beginning of Aug and will have plenty of cash to play once again. Been working on a cutting edge renewable energy powerplant project which will be the first of it's kind in North America.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:27 AM
craigdennis15

seems kind of trivial for me to be bugging you now after hearing that, lol. thanks for the information i appreciate it and will keep an eye out for future posts. and also i hope you do well with whatever technologies you bring back state side