Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

All the engines have been run at the factory., that being said, if your pinch at the top of the stroke is as tight as you describe, give your self a tank or two on the ground as a break-in to get some of the parts to work together. As always with an ABC engine, the break-in should be done at a needle setting that is just into the 2-stroke range. You need to create some heat and allow things to expand (liner and piston) for the break-in process to work at all. Please don't run this at a rich 4-stroke as a break-in process, all you will do is damage the rod. Most of the time when an engine has a slightly better pinch at the top of the stroke you will find the engine to continue to get stronger through the first two gallons of fuel and will run really well for a long long time.

Enjoy!

Pete
Thanks for the info Pete.

I may have missed it, but I didn't find any break-in procedure in my .60NX owners manual. It may be worth putting your procedure into future manual printings.

Over the years I've had many different ABC type taper-bored engines. If I buy any brand of APC engine and find it seems unusually tight at the top of the stroke, I first chuck it up to my little engine test stand. Before its first start up I grab my heat gun and apply heat around the top of the cylinder head area. Applying a little heat always works to loosen it up a little.

I also personnaly believe in NEVER allowing a new ABC engine to run in a rich 4-stroke needle position. Besides doing possible rod damage, using a cooler 4-stroke needle position, the engine will usually never break in properly and will never become a strong performer. It's got to have heat during break in !

Just my two cents and some observations over many years.

Joe M.
Joe M.
I have a heat gun hanging on the wall in my workshop. Thanks for the tip!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
viper1676
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've decided to go with the Pneumatics on the gear. I'm going to get the Robart's that H9 is selling for it. Since this will be my first set-up, I've got a few questions. How long does a tank last? Does it need to be filled for every flight? Also, how do you know if it's full? I didn't see a gauge or anything in the Robart kit from H9.

Thanks
Dave
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Dave,

You will need to fill the air tank after every flight. The pump you use should have a gauge on it that shows the pressure in the onboard tank. You can also purchase an on board gauge that goes in the air fill line. I run about 100 psi on mine.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

My robart valve is super sensative!!! Fighting it as we speak! Lol
Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: B Shipp

Dave,

You will need to fill the air tank after every flight. The pump you use should have a gauge on it that shows the pressure in the onboard tank. You can also purchase an on board gauge that goes in the air fill line. I run about 100 psi on mine.
B. Shipp,

I agree with you. I also run about 100 psi in my onboard tank and fill it for every flight. Now to check the air in my tank, I just use the tire gauge that I have in my SUV!! If it below 40 psi, I fill the tank. I found out from test, that below 40 psi I only have the nose and left main to come down. Now if pull on the right main, it will come down but will not lock.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: viper1676

So I've decided to go with the Pneumatics on the gear. I'm going to get the Robart's that H9 is selling for it. Since this will be my first set-up, I've got a few questions. How long does a tank last? Does it need to be filled for every flight? Also, how do you know if it's full? I didn't see a gauge or anything in the Robart kit from H9.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

The model number for Robart Onboard Pressure Gauge is #173
Here is a link to Tower Hobbies!!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...board+pressure

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-18-2010, 02:01 PM
viper1676

ORIGINAL: jet22b

ORIGINAL: B Shipp

Dave,

B. Shipp,

I agree with you. I also run about 100 psi in my onboard tank and fill it for every flight. Now to check the air in my tank, I just use the tire gauge that I have in my SUV!! If it below 40 psi, I fill the tank. I found out from test, that below 40 psi I only have the nose and left main to come down. Now if pull on the right main, it will come down but will not lock.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Thanks B Shipp and Sonny. If I can check it with a simple tire gauge, that's fine with me. I don't need the onboard. Plus I was thinking of picking up the robart pump for it that has a gauge on it. Unless someone has a better suggestion. Sonny, quick question for you. You are running the Robart spring gear correct? I thought he whole safety point on these gears was that if the air pressure got low, the gear dropped automatically. Does it need air pressure to drop as well? I though it was just to hold them up.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 PM
jet22b

Dave;

I went with the all air system. If I was you, I would go with the spring/air system. That way if you have a onboard air leak, than the spring will drop your gear. The air hold them up and when you go to put the gear down, you just dump the air and the spring do the rest!!
I hope this help.
The weather person is calling for snow this weekend here in the Great Northwest, so no Jackal maiden this weekend.[][]
Don't you hate winter???

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
viper1676

Sonny,

Ok, I didn't realize you went all air. I am going to go with the spring/air. Just like the security. Yeah, winter does suck. We're actually looking like decent flying weather for Sunday here in the NorthEast...Saturday not bad, but windy. Unfortunately my Jackal is still sitting in the box it was shipped to the hobby shop in. Plus I have no engine or gear. Yet. Hmmmm...I guess I could throw it really fast and see if it acts as a glider!!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM
BiggerDanno

Dave;

I went with the all air system. If I was you, I would go with the spring/air system. That way if you have a onboard air leak, than the spring will drop your gear. The air hold them up and when you go to put the gear down, you just dump the air and the spring do the rest!!
I hope this help.
The weather person is calling for snow this weekend here in the Great Northwest, so no Jackal maiden this weekend.[][]
Don't you hate winter???

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Send it to me!! The weather is almost always good for flying here in sunny SoCal, problem is, that leaves no time for building.[]
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM
jet22b

Dave,
Here is a picture of my tank and fill valve. As you can see, its a tight fit,but, it work!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 PM
JoeMamma

A few years ago I discovered a small, low-cost air compressor for my Robarts gear. Similar to this one...............http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ssor-4077.html Looks like this one can't be beat for $7.99 !

I found the Robart hand pump to be effective, but time consuming.

Joe M.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM
viper1676

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

A few years ago I discovered a small, low-cost air compressor for my Robarts gear. Similar to this one...............http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ssor-4077.html Looks like this one can't be beat for $7.99 !

I found the Robart hand pump to be effective, but time consuming.

Joe M.
Sweet!!! So I can use a little compressor. I have one like this that I use for me lawn tractor. It's one of those emergency ones you can keep in your car that plug in to your cig lighter. I stripped the 12v lighter connector off and put on alligator clips and it works awesome. Cool, pump issue solved...and you just saved me $40 Thanks JoeMamma!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Sonny,
3 quick questions if i may> what are those metal fittings that secure the airline on the T? are they made by Robart? are they sold by Tower H?

Thanks!
V.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:02 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: vasek

Hi Sonny,
3 quick questions if i may> what are those metal fittings that secure the airline on the T? are they made by Robart? are they sold by Tower H?

Thanks!
V.
vasek,
Yes they are made by Robart. They came with the retract set that pickup at Horizon for the Jackal 50.
Here is a link for Tower Hobbies that sell Robart!!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET20&P=7
I love the metal fittings!!!
BTW: They are call Retaining Nuts!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: vasek

Hi Sonny,

Thanks!
V.
vasek,

Here is the link just for the Retaining Nuts at Tower Hobbies!!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET33&P=M

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
viper1676

So is the variable air kit needed for the retracts? Does it come with the retracts from H9? I've heard of people complaining about pneumatics slamming up (not on this plane)...so does that happen with the spring/air type as well, or just the full air.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:59 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: viper1676

So is the variable air kit needed for the retracts? Does it come with the retracts from H9? I've heard of people complaining about pneumatics slamming up (not on this plane)...so does that happen with the spring/air type as well, or just the full air.
Dave.

On the full air system you can set how fast you want the gear to go up and down by the 2 knobs that you see on top of the unit. If you have the knobs full open the gear will slam up and down. You play with the knobs untill you have the gear the way you want them and then you lock the knobs in place. You have a nut just below the knobs to do that. And yes this unit will come with the ones from Hangar 9.

BTW: Guys, if you are driving a Ford Escape and want to know if the Jackal 50 will fit ready to fly?? Check out the pictures!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM
carlosmalone
My Feedback: (25)

What was the fix for the wings not fitting all the way into the fuse?
Thanks,
Carl
Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: carlosmalone

What was the fix for the wings not fitting all the way into the fuse?
Thanks,
Carl
Carl,
What I did with my problem of the wings not fitting all the way into the fuse, was to first check how smooth the wing tube went into both wings. Next I check the wood pins from the wings to see how smooth they go into the fuse. Now if the pins are not the problem and the tube is okay, the wings mounts holes on the fuse is off center. What I did to find how much it was off, I slide the wings as far as they would go, then take rod, put it in the wings bolts hole to see how far off center. I move the rod around to leave small marks on the blind nut wood plate. The marks will show you just how far you need to make the slot in the fuse longer. A flat file will do it just fine. On both of my slots, I had to go more to the tail. After a few times with the flat flie, the wings went in just fine. I hope this will help you!!!
Sorry for the long post!!
HAve a good weekend!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
carlosmalone
My Feedback: (25)

Sonny,
Thanks so much for the detailed information...very helpful! I'll have a go at it this weekend.
Carl
Old 11-19-2010, 03:25 PM
BiggerDanno

BTW: Guys, if you are driving a Ford Escape and want to know if the Jackal 50 will fit ready to fly?? Check out the pictures!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Please tell me that you don't drive with that placard hanging from the mirror!!
A person that had theirs hanging from the mirror caused me to lose my leg because they couldn't see me on my bike.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Just finished the robart strut install. Yes, I know, weight!!! But, I like em.......
Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 PM
jet22b

2Brave,

Sweet!!!! I like them too!!
What is your final weight now, please???

Thanks
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

2Brave,

Sweet!!!! I like them too!!
What is your final weight now, please???

Thanks
Sonny
aka
jet22b
I'll try to check this wknd......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.