Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 AM
richardgerardi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi

Broke in the Jett 56 today while on the plane. Ran very rich at 1st. 2nd tank leaned it out till it reached 14k. Used an APC 9x6 when it reached 16 k this thing was loud and I could see the foam being formed in the stock tank. Only used foam underneath maybe should put foam all around. Looking at he Tetras tanks Jett has 8 oz and 12oz the 12 is too big. The foam at 16k was like dish soap and it leaned the engine so I was not able to maiden her. Engine is a monster, nough said. Here are some pics. I'm using the 302 Spring Air which are awesome.
Real foam rubber padding/isolation can really help, most importantly foam rubber in contact with the bottom. What works flawlessly in my diamond dust running 26K plus in the air is an genuine OS bubbleless clunk and have literally flown it to the last drop. I swear by these pricy, priceless things.....now in every plane I own! Oh, make sure your prop and spinner is balanced.
I will get the bubbleless clunk see if that works. really don't want to invest in another pump to fill up one plane. Will add lots of foam and see if that helps. Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Chancho

I like the idea of the bubbleless clunk vs. having to go to a much smaller tank, i.e., 10oz vs. 14. I usually leave a couple ounces in the tank anyhow.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

heli flyiers swear by them and they run high rpms as well
Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 AM
BiggerDanno

Sonny we hired an audio engineer for about 1500$. The levels in your particular city might be less than that. Ours was at the property line 56db allowed by the state. We had 3 planes flying to test the noise levels including a plane with a tune pipe and giant scale 50cc. We came in way below that state required level. I think the highest sound was about 48db. Hope that helps.
Are you sure on those noise levels?

For reference:
30 = Soft whisper
40 = Refrigerator
50 = Quiet office
60 = Air conditioner @ 20 ft
70 = Hair dryer
80 = Average city traffic

By your numbers, your planes are quieter than a quiet office!!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Must be Metric db's
ORIGINAL: BiggerDanno

Sonny we hired an audio engineer for about 1500$. The levels in your particular city might be less than that. Ours was at the property line 56db allowed by the state. We had 3 planes flying to test the noise levels including a plane with a tune pipe and giant scale 50cc. We came in way below that state required level. I think the highest sound was about 48db. Hope that helps.
Are you sure on those noise levels?

For reference:
30 = Soft whisper
40 = Refrigerator
50 = Quiet office
60 = Air conditioner @ 20 ft
70 = Hair dryer
80 = Average city traffic

By your numbers, your planes are quieter than a quiet office!!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Broke in the Jett 56 today while on the plane. Ran very rich at 1st. 2nd tank leaned it out till it reached 14k. Used an APC 9x6 when it reached 16 k this thing was loud and I could see the foam being formed in the stock tank. Only used foam underneath maybe should put foam all around. Looking at he Tetras tanks Jett has 8 oz and 12oz the 12 is too big. The foam at 16k was like dish soap and it leaned the engine so I was not able to maiden her. Engine is a monster, nough said. Here are some pics. I'm using the 302 Spring Air which are awesome.
It is important to follow the break in proceedure per the instructions.

You do NOT want to run the engine THAT rich. It is not accomplishing anything you wish to for the run-in period. Just burning fuel, and at worst not doing any good for your engine. You want the engine at operating temperature, and running at RPM.

Put on the 9x6, take it to 17,500 rpm and let it run there. It will eaisly be slightly rich at that rpm. You want it warmed up, running at the target RPM. At least 20 minutes. (I prefer a series of 5 minute runs). After that time, put on your flight prop, and briefly find the peak rpm. Back off from the peak 1000 rpm and run it another 2-3 tanks. Learn where the needle position is for that setting, listen to how the engine sounds, feel how it transitions on and off the pipe when throttled. The low speed mixture is factory adjusted. Resist any urge to make adjustments until later on.

ABSOLUTELY critcial that none of the fuel tank touch the airframe. Must be padded and fully isolated. If it touches the airframe at any location, it will foam the fuel. The bubble jett tank can help avoid the issue, but you can use the standard tank installation if it is properly isolated.

As has been noted, the aircraft installation provides far too many variables to provide for proper engine run-in. Reconsider a proper test stand. Gives you an opportunity to understand how the engine should run. Gives the engines controlled conditions to operate. Then when installed in the airframe, you can isolate any issues that may be observed.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:23 AM
richardgerardi

Maiden her today. Not a good day. I am used to planes not needing all the trows usually recommended. So I had abit less than 1/2' on elevator. Noticed on take off that it was not going to be very responsibe. Went around and couldn't tell if it was noze heavy or tail heavy. It was a bit nose heavy when we balanced her. But on landing she did not want to flare up so she pancked cake on the 3 gear bounced aup 20' and landed it on the grass. Bent the struts, crak a little of the ply wood underneath and broke the motor mount. Very surprised at the little damage. I thought she was done. The Jett 56 ran nice had it a bit rich as when at 17500 it blew the plug. She ran very whell. Scrape the muffler a bit but otherwise the engine looks fine. Maybe next time. Now is time to put her back together.[]
Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maiden her today. Not a good day. I am used to planes not needing all the trows usually recommended. So I had abit less than 1/2' on elevator. Noticed on take off that it was not going to be very responsibe. Went around and couldn't tell if it was noze heavy or tail heavy. It was a bit nose heavy when we balanced her. But on landing she did not want to flare up so she pancked cake on the 3 gear bounced aup 20' and landed it on the grass. Bent the struts, crak a little of the ply wood underneath and broke the motor mount. Very surprised at the little damage. I thought she was done. The Jett 56 ran nice had it a bit rich as when at 17500 it blew the plug. She ran very whell. Scrape the muffler a bit but otherwise the engine looks fine. Maybe next time. Now is time to put her back together.[]
richardgerardi;
Sorry to hear your maiden did not go to well. Sound to me that because of low elevator throw, you ran out of up elevator on landing to pick the nose up. If it was tail heavy, you would have lost it after take-off. I like to setup high rates on the elevators and before I land, I flip the switch on the tx so I can have more elevator throw. Sound like you use the stock motor mount. On the second flight on my Jackal 50 with the Evo .60nx, my stock mount broke!! Like you said, rebuild her and get it back into the air!! Got to fly my baby today!!! And I flew it at my club field!!! The one person that did not like the noise we made, came over to the field to watch and now he is hook!!! We all like that outcome!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 AM
DamBo

Here are a few pics of maiden, I have got to fix that fuel line though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56213.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1625531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33014.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1625532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89488.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1625533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19886.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1625534  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 AM
richardgerardi

ORIGINAL: jet22b

richardgerardi;
Sorry to hear your maiden did not go to well. Sound to me that because of low elevator throw, you ran out of up elevator on landing to pick the nose up. If it was tail heavy, you would have lost it after take-off. I like to setup high rates on the elevators and before I land, I flip the switch on the tx so I can have more elevator throw. Sound like you use the stock motor mount. On the second flight on my Jackal 50 with the Evo .60nx, my stock mount broke!! Like you said, rebuild her and get it back into the air!! Got to fly my baby today!!! And I flew it at my club field!!! The one person that did not like the noise we made, came over to the field to watch and now he is hook!!! We all like that outcome!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Thanks Sonny. Yeap I screwed up with the elevator throws. Maybe she is to much for me. I was flying at 1/2 throttle she was moving and had a hard time controlling her. The damage is minimal so she should be good in a couple of weeks. You probably right about not being tail heavy. Some guys in here with the set up stated to have added weight to the tail. My came in at 7.5lbs and moved the battery up like 4" and it looked good.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
richardgerardi

Hey Sonny I'm thinking it may have been very nose heavy as I moved the battery pack forward. I have been reading and other are addidng weight? I know the CG is correct, or maybe not.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
jet22b

Hey Sonny I'm thinking it may have been very nose heavy as I moved the battery pack forward. I have been reading and other are addidng weight? I know the CG is correct, or maybe not.
richardgerardi;
This is the battery I have in my Jackal 50 tail, ( see link below ), and my CG is 1.5" in front of the manual CG with no weight added. One thing I did cut down, the throws of the ailerons. This plane is a hand full with the manual ailerons throws. My first 2 flight on the Jackal 50, I flew it at half throttle just to get my air legs!!! At one point, the plane flew me!!! Some time I think the throws in the manual is a bit to much and a starting point for us to find what is best for your flying skills
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXNHS4&P=K
One thing you will find, this plane is a joy to fly at half throttle and still have speed, but, go full throttle and she become a bear!!!!!
Rebuild her and get back into the air. Trust me, you will love it!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 AM
richardgerardi

Sonny what does "1.5" in front of the manual" mean? Idid cut the ailerons to less than recommended. But I think I cut the elevator way too much as it appears to need lots of up. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 AM
jet22b

Sonny what does ''1.5'' in front of the manual'' mean? Idid cut the ailerons to less than recommended. But I think I cut the elevator way too much as it appears to need lots of up. Thanks for the help.
richardgerardi;
The manual gave a CG range of 6 3/8" to 6 5/8" and my CG is at 5 3/8" There is 1" between my CG and the manual 6 3/8" The 5 3/8" is where is balance on my Great Plane C.G. machine. Like I said before, my bird is a tad nose heavy, but, she fly great!!! On my elevator throws, this is my setup: low rate 21mm up and down, high rate 27mm up and down with 30% expo on low and high rate. Just like your first landing, I did not have enough elevator to pull the nose up for landing. Did not hurt the gear, but, I broke a prop!!! Also the first landing was done with no flaps. With flaps out, this bird slow down real good. I hope this info help you and get your bird back into the air. My baby will be back into the air this weekend if it don't rain!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Titan176

Well for anyone following or interested in this airplane, BUY IT. Just had the second flight today and figured out that my needle valve on my engine wasn't tight enough and kept unscrewing itself. After some fixin' got it leaned out and running like it should. Let me tell you, Holy S%$# she made my knees weak! The 10 ft high speed pass with a vertical victory roll is worth the price of admission alone. I felt like a newbie again, guys at the club were circling around after I brought her down. This is as close as I will ever get to turbines or ducted fans. For those finding it nose heavy, I found the same on the first flight. It took 1/4 oz. to balance it, on the second flight and added another 1/4 oz on the exhaust cone. It made a world of difference, this one is a keeper! Where has this plane been all my life?! I may save up and buy a second one, should this one start falling apart. (Aggressor Camo on Number 2 anyone?) Anywho, I will try to get some video. You guys will not be sorry with this one, don't get me wrong there's a few minor glitches, but Wow. Im usually pretty critical of my planes and wasn't expecting this, if it lasts the test of time I WILL get another. THANK YOU HANGAR 9! (PS MORE MORE HIGH PERFORMANCE PROP JETS PLEASE!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db84138.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	728.4 KB
ID:	1626822   Click image for larger version

Name:	ws56749.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	739.9 KB
ID:	1626823   Click image for larger version

Name:	ms42948.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	1626824   Click image for larger version

Name:	jd87363.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	725.7 KB
ID:	1626825   Click image for larger version

Name:	se45843.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	716.4 KB
ID:	1626826  
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
ckombo
My Feedback: (2)

That sounds Awesome Titan, i think im going to finally get one.

What kind of speeds are you all hitting on your Jackals?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
jet22b

Titan176;
Congrat on your flight!!! You are so right, this is a keeper. I am waiting for some of the jet guys do a mod for turbine and or ducted fan to this bird.
Again, congrat on your second flight, and don't let any of your club member fly her, or, you may not get her back!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

T, I like your stickers
Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM
ckombo
My Feedback: (2)

Ihave a spare OS .75AX lying around (52mm wide). Does anybody know if i could get that engine to fit in this plan?

Iknow its nowhere as ideal as a Jett or Evo, but it's what i got so might as well use it IF ITS POSSIBLE!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM
jet22b

ckombo;
I would say, wait untill you have the plane on the work table and see how much of a mod has to be done for the engine to fit. Before my Evo .60NX came, I had a Evo .61 in the engine spare box in my workshop and I was hopping that it would work. I could have made it work, but, I want to keep that sweet look. If you go with the OS .75AX, please post pictures for us. If you want a fun plane, than pick up the Jackal 50!!! She look good on the ground and in the air!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: ckombo

I have a spare OS .75AX lying around (52mm wide). Does anybody know if i could get that engine to fit in this plan?

I know its nowhere as ideal as a Jett or Evo, but it's what i got so might as well use it IF ITS POSSIBLE!

I was looking at the possibility of using an OS .65AX in my Jackal. I looked at and compared the physical sizes and weights of the OS .55, OS .65, OS .75 and OS .95AX's. Even the .95AX will physically fit in the Jackal, but that's not the problem.

The problem is with the prop size. Anything larger than an 11 incher on the Jackal is asking for trouble, especially if you fly from grass like I do.

The OS .75 requires a 12"-14" prop. The .95 even bigger sizes. The .65 requires a 12"-13", but if was going to use a .65, I'd drop the diameter down to 11" and increase the pitch up to 8-10. I don't think you would get any performance on a .75 if you dropped the prop size down to 11".

Joe M.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
jet22b

Joe M;
The first time I ground taxi my Jackal 50 with a APC 11x6 prop on the Evo 60NX in my big driveway, I found out at the end of the taxi test, the tips of the prop was file down!! Now the manual said to use a 11x6 to a 11x7 prop for break-in and the first few flights. Even on my club grass flat field, I still was cutting grass. You are right, big engine want big props
and looking at the the the Jackal 50 sit, you don't have alot of room to play with. I just look at my Jackal 50 and see that my baby sit a bit nose low and all three wheels are dead center in the wells when the gears are up.
Oh well, baby is on the charger right now for a fun weekend with her!!
HAve a great flying weekend everyone!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Joe M;
The first time I ground taxi my Jackal 50 with a APC 11x6 prop on the Evo 60NX in my big driveway, I found out at the end of the taxi test, the tips of the prop was file down!! Sonny
aka
jet22b
Yeah.........I'm going to try to either lenghten the nose gear or shorten the main gear, or both, to get the nose up in the air a little higher.

I've got the identical problem on my Hangar 9 Phoenix 7.

Joe M.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This kind of beggs the question, how big of a ducted fan engine will fit in this thing? I know the fan engines like smaller high pitch props, which solves the ground clearance issue. I have an OS91 fan engine, and people are using 9x10 or 10x10 props on these. The 4oz of fuel a minute might be a deal breaker, but a .46 fan engine could work. I do not have one, but I seem to remember 8x8 to 9x9 being a workable prop range for one. I think about 2oz a minute is about average for a .46 fan engine. Just a thought from a speed freak....

If you need a little more ground clearance and have the retracts already installed, try using smaller main wheels. This will lower the back of the plane without changing the length of the struts, needing wheel opening modifications.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
richardgerardi

Hey Sonny can you tell me what motor mount you used to replace the stock one? I am using teh Jett 56. I ordered this one not sure if it will work. (OS 71913100 Motor Mount) She is almost ready again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.