Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Headhunter70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Thought I would load these into this thread...
Photos are of the Jackal that Dub built. Shows how he installed the 12oz bubblejett fuel tank and remote needle. Perhaps useful as a reference.

Bob
Quick question here, does it matter how you connect the pipes to the remote needle, Bob in your post with the sundowner I can see you did it the opposite way !
Old 09-16-2011, 05:34 AM
103/17

Bob thanks for the photos. I just wanted to make sure what tank and if it would fit. Awesome. Thanks again...........
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the 60nx and Jett pjpe, but am now considering using the OS 55 AX. Will the Jett pipe on the 55 AX increase rpm ??? Bob
Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

I now have 15 flights and having fun with this one. I can't wait to see the speed on this one.We will put the radar gun on it on Sat.My guess 125+-.

Frank
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob

I purchased the 60nx and Jett pjpe, but am now considering using the OS 55 AX. Will the Jett pipe on the 55 AX increase rpm ??? Bob
Yes it will, but not to the same extent. The exhaust timing between the two engines is different. Before investing in another engine I suggest you try your 60NX. There are far more people having success with it than are having issues, and most all of the issues boil down to tank foaming issues, not engine issues. As Dub Jett responded before "80% of the problems are tank problems, and the other 20% are tank problems"

Using one of the Dubro sintered tank clunk/filters goes a long way toward busting up the bubbles/foam that may be in the tank. If you want to get really serious about it use one of the foam clunk/filters and the bubbles all but completely disappear. One of Dub's Bubbleless tanks work great as well and I have used these for the past 15 years in pylon racing and have never had tank induced engine problems with these (with the exception of a tank being too high or too low in the fuselage, but that's not the tanks fault.)

For those who continue to have blown glow plug issues even after adding head shims as I have suggested before the engine is simply running too lean and destroying the glow plug.

Pete
Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
103/17

Pete,

I have to tell you I was pretty well set "not" to go with the Evo .60 nx. My experience was always great with Evo engines and other then the 2 crankpins I have seen shear off in the RTF Mustangs ( whats up with that? ) I havent ever seen an Evo issue. This thread had me scared off with the Jett pipe appearing to have issues when mated to the .60 nx. After a message to Dub and some reply e-mails from Dub & Bob at Jett Engineering I'm going with the Evo .60. I'm going to go with a Bubbless tank and Jett mini pipe.

I think a few things are causing the issues. Bubbles in the fuel, Oversized props ( I'm starting with a 10x6 for break-in) and maybe lean runs. I will post how I make out once I have it finished and have it up and running...... wish me luck.

103/17
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
BalsaBob

Okay Pete, I will try the 60nx. I am now confident that I have learned enough here to resolve the issues. I ordered the shims a few minutes ago. Bob
Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM
jet22b

Pete,
One more thing need to be said about the Evo 60NX!! Please use a RPM Meter to tune the engine. I have 3 of the Evo 60NX and they are runing like a top. Two in the Top Flite Cessna 310 and the one in the Jackal 50. Yes I had the engine eating plugs and yes it was the tank and a lean run. I went with the foam clunk in the stock tank after using the foam clunk in all my nitro helicopters. Like I said, the engines are runing sweet.
Pete, one quick question, was this engine setup to run the the four stroke plugs??? All three motors has four stroke plugs and like I said before, they run like a top!!
Thanks for the answer!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 AM
BalsaBob

Would the OS Bubbless clunk work okay, or is the felt type that the helicopters use a better choice ?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 AM
richardgerardi

Would the OS Bubbless clunk work okay, or is the felt type that the helicopters use a better choice ?
Yes I have the Jett 56 engine with the OS clunk turning a APC 9x8 at 18,000 rpms and no problems. Make sure engine is running on the rich side also lots of rubber foam padding around the tank.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Headhunter70

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Thought I would load these into this thread...
Photos are of the Jackal that Dub built. Shows how he installed the 12oz bubblejett fuel tank and remote needle. Perhaps useful as a reference.

Bob
Quick question here, does it matter how you connect the pipes to the remote needle, Bob in your post with the sundowner I can see you did it the opposite way !
Sorry for the delay replying..
In short, no does not matter.
The sundowner photos show feed to carb from center fitting. Jacklal photos show feed to carb from end fitting. Engine does not care.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The 60nx will turn higher rpm than the OS 55AX. But the jett-stream and OS55AX combination is outstanding well documented in threads here. Prop selection is different though for the OS55 so performance is a bit of a trade.

But I agree with Pete. Worth solving the issue. Experience over years 90% of the time a blown plug is because of a lean run at some point in the flight. A temperature spike can happen quickly.. and its gone. If it blows plugs on the test bench under controlled conditions - that is a different story.

The only reason the problem might go away with an engine change is because the energy/frequency/rpm changes... so harmonic and foaming issues change too.

Give the Evo 60 a try. I have been inpressed with it. But similar to the Jett 60L and all of the Sport Jett engines you must ensure a perfect fuel system and a solid engine install.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 AM
viper1676
My Feedback: (14)

Hey Guys,

Well finally my Jackal is pretty mych ready to go. Have a few quick questions. I've been reading about this whole foaming fuel issue. I did my best to put foam around the tank to issolate it. As far as securing it, the manual recommended using the velcro tie downs...doesn't seem all that tight to me. Would I be better off using zip ties like I normally do? As far as the bubbless clunk goes, is the one from OS that tower has decent, or would I be better off with something else? With the glow plugs, what do you guys think is the best one to use? I have the Evo .60. Concensus seems to be the 4-stroke plug, but just wanted to double check. Lastly is in regards to the air retracts. I'm using the Robart Air up and down. I have these little metal collars that it came with. There's not enough of them for each connection so which ones do I use them on? The T-connections or the valve connections. Also, what do you guys use to fill your tanks? I have an electric pump that is one of those you use for pumping up car tires. I was going to use that, but having a hard time getting the valve in there. I put my fill valve to the top right of the tank. Can I just leave that fill floating in thr cabin so I can get to it easily? Sorry for the long post!!

Thanks
Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Titan176

This is what its all about! More pics to come!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32316.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1665711  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

steady she goes NIIIIIIIIIICE!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM
bmschulman
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone else experienced cracked landing blocks on their Jackal after a not-very-hard landing? I'm using Robart retracts. The way they have the wood grain lined on the landing block, it seems to just crack in half about half-way deep in the wheel well. I was really surprised. First happened on the left side (and I fixed it up) and now the right side, so I don't think it's limited to a single bad piece of wood.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Hey BM where do you fly I would like to see it fly. And bring mine too. I allways reinforce the landing gear blocks on all my planes before it happens.

Frank
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM
tlj125

bmschulman,

I have not had the landing gear mount break as yet and I have had some off runway landings. I did notice that the landing gear blocks did not appear to be all that strong. Looks like it wouldn't take much to break them.

I had a different problem with my Jackal this past Saturday. The screw holding the spinner on broke in flight. I didn't notice the spinner missing until landing and taxing back. Part of the screw remained in the prop nut. Flew the plane twice more that day without the spinner. On a high speed run down the runway, the EVO 60 NX engine over reved then made a sickening rattle noise and stopped running. Dead sticked in the grass OK. I think the APC 10x8 prop must have been damaged by the spinner falling off. I inspected the prop before flying again but didn't notice anything wrong with it. The prop failed in flight. The subsequent vibration broke the Jett pipe, both motor mounts, the carb retainer, and significantly damaged the cowling. The cowling was the only thing holding the engine onto the airframe. The carb had seperated from the engine but remained attached to the throttle control rod. Be interested to know if anyone else has had a failure of the spinner retaining screw. If you do, change the prop before flying again.

Terry
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 PM
tlj125

viper1676,

I did not put foam around my fuel tank. I did put a small piece of foam behind the tank to prevent the engine from sliding back too far. I used the stock tank, clunk, stopper, and tubing that came the the Jackal. I did have to remove the lip from the tank opening so the stopper could get a better grip inside the tank. I used the velcro straps that came with the plane to hold the tank in place. seems to work just fine. I'm using the four stroke plug HAN3011 in my EVO 60NX and it works well now. Had plugs burning up earlier. This seemed to stopped once I fixed the tank and ran about a gallon of fuel through the engine. I am using the Robart retracts also. Not sure what the collars are you are refering to. I don't have any collars on mine that I am aware of. I use a battery operated pump that I booght at Autozone to fill my air tank. Works fine and easier than the hand pump. Left my air fill valve floating in the area just below the cockpit. Makes it easier to grab hold of and screw together. It probably flops around a little bit during flight but doesn't appear to cause any problems.

Terry
Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the OS 55 and Jett pipe run the APC 10x9 prop
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Krasherjack

Hey BM,
2 of us at the club have cracked a wing, from the wheel well, to the leading edge. The wing sheeting is very fragile, in my case, just an accidental wing tapping on the starting bench.
I just epoxied the crack , with glass cloth,and recovered. Kelly's was more fatal, and he replaced the wing completely.
Just a heads up.
Jack
Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 AM
103/17

Great picture...wheres the muffler? Is it photo shopped or is there a great muffler product out there we dont know about?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:19 PM
viper1676
My Feedback: (14)

Maidened the Jackal today...kinda. The plane gods were lookin out for me today. Was up till 1am getting her ready for today after work. It was beautiful out, 70 degree's very light wind. EVO started right up and purred like a kitten. On my take-off roll, she just wouldn't get up. Cut the the throttle and taxied her back. Brought her back to the bench and adjusted the Elevator throws. Fired her back up and taxied out. While taxiing I noticed she wasn't steering very well. Went to check it out and noticed that the rudder servo wasn't moving at all. Great. Then noticed, wait a minute, none of them are moving. The flight battery died!! I had just had it on the Hyperion before coming to the field and it finished charging. Don't know what happened, this was a new 6.0v 2200mah battery. I'm going to try cycling it a few times and see what's going on. Had I taken off on my first run, I would have lost her!! After bringing her back to the bench, I noticed the muffler was loose, locktited and all and still came loose. Also broke an engine hold down bolt. So far, I'm having a rough time with this plane. Hopefully I'll get it all fixed up and it will be ready for Sunday.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: viper1676

Maidened the Jackal today...kinda. The plane gods were lookin out for me today. Was up till 1am getting her ready for today after work. It was beautiful out, 70 degree's very light wind. EVO started right up and purred like a kitten. On my take-off roll, she just wouldn't get up. Cut the the throttle and taxied her back. Brought her back to the bench and adjusted the Elevator throws. Fired her back up and taxied out. While taxiing I noticed she wasn't steering very well. Went to check it out and noticed that the rudder servo wasn't moving at all. Great. Then noticed, wait a minute, none of them are moving. The flight battery died!! I had just had it on the Hyperion before coming to the field and it finished charging. Don't know what happened, this was a new 6.0v 2200mah battery. I'm going to try cycling it a few times and see what's going on. Had I taken off on my first run, I would have lost her!! After bringing her back to the bench, I noticed the muffler was loose, locktited and all and still came loose. Also broke an engine hold down bolt. So far, I'm having a rough time with this plane. Hopefully I'll get it all fixed up and it will be ready for Sunday.
Viper1676,
I am glad the plane god was looking out for you. If you fly off grass, the nose wheel like to stick to it. Also check the hookup between the switch and the battery. Sometime they do come apart. Tape or some string will hold them together. Also keep a eye on the engine mount. On Jackal #1 the left mount snap right at the first hold down bolt!!! Don't give up now, you are so close!!! Please let us know how Sunday maiden went!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
tlj125

A few pics of the damage from in flight prop failure...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22476.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1668367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99063.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1668368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13128.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1668369  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.