Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1615

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

yeap stock tanjk split on me so I would get a better quality one. For take offs I used 1/4 flaps it really helps. Welcome

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good idea - I'm not too keen on that type of tank. Need to see if I can fit a Sullivan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also get the bubble less cluck from OS it will eliminate lean runs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some photos of my Jackal. You can see the details of the E-Flite electric retract installation. The nose gear is screwed directly to the nose gear beams, with some reinforcing on the inside since the screws are close to the inside edge. I used a Futaba radio and servos, and I used full size servos in the wings for flaps and ailerons. I just had to put a couple washers under the rear screws to allow the servos to fit. I did add some triangle stock at the rear of the compartment to clean up the blunt edge.

You can also see the small extra battery that powers the retracts next to the receiver.

I have some thin, closed cell, polyethylene foam that I use for everything since it is stiffer that foam rubber and does not absorb fluids (like fuel). I put two layers under the tank (about 1/8") and small blocks of it front and back of the tank. I've never had a foaming problem when I used this around the tank, but I've never had an engine running at 17,000 rpm either. In any case it should reduce foaming since the tank does not touch anything but foam. I also trimmed the lip off the tank to get a better seal with the stopper, but I am worried about this tank eventually splitting.

Can anybody recommend a tank near 14 oz that will fit? I not having much luck finding one.

The only real customizing I've done (so far) is adding the wing fences and painting in the canopy to make it look more like a single place fighter. I noted that someone was considering re-covering with a military scheme and I'd love to see how that works out if they do. I'd like to do the same.

This weekend was a washout since the winds wouldn't die down, but I'm hoping to refly it soon.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67351.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	1732269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41664.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	336.5 KB 
ID:	1732270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq36708.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	384.7 KB 
ID:	1732271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq42654.jpg 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	1732272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Te48710.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	1732273  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lc48587.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	1732274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Df72339.jpg 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	1732275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dc98464.jpg 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	1732276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca51469.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	1732277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vi48304.jpg 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	1732278  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci44335.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	1732279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs75660.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	1732280  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More photos...
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try again - the last two photos didn't upload.
    Mike

Name:	Sp45402.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	1732281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50132.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	1732282  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike;
    Great job on the build!!!
    Now when you get some good weather, put her back into the air and have fun!!!
    We do like to hear good flight report too!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52
    Great Planes Citabria DLE 35RA CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good morning Gents,

I want to build a new pair of wings for the Jackal...does anyone know the profile ?

rgds
    Gordon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone done any significant "customizing" of their Jackal - appearance wise? I am big on doing this to all my planes and I want to add my touch. I've already painted in part of the canopy and added wing strakes, but I have some other ideas too.

I'm thinking of adding some strakes to the wing leading edge/intakes (ala F-5), some strakes to the fin and widening the fin a bit, and even adding a blade antenna to give it a bit of a realistic look. See before and after photoshopped images. I was also thinking about adding missle rails, but that would slow the plane down unless made removeable.

Removeable drop tanks would also be tres cool, and good for show on the ground and in the air. I've see turbine powered BAE Hawks (which this plane resembles quite a bit) that have drop tanks and I like the look. I'd love totalk about these and other customizing ideas. Let's get the juices flowing. Going fast isa goodthing, going fast in Style is even better...

Mike

Name:	Jh17210.jpg 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	1732947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75916.jpg 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	1732948  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mike,
    If I had the money, I would love to drop a jet engine in this baby. To me it just don't look right with a prop in the nose. Please post pictures of your trick-out Jackal after it is done. I like what you done so far and she do look good!
    Thanks for sharing!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Flew my Jackal over the weekend again. Lost three props in three flights. Flight one, the nose gear did not come all the way down. Took the canopy off and discovered one of the steering wires had wraped around the retract servo horn and control wire. Temporarily put in a piece of cardboard to prevent from happening again. Second flight, the prop just touched a bump on the runway after landing. It is so close to the ground. Third flight, the screw that holds the nose cone on broke again and the prop broke up as it hit the departing cone in flight. This is the third time the screw for the nose cone has broken and the cone departed in flight. Had to quickly land dead stick. I have spent about $150 in props and nose cones on this plane. Anyone else having this problem? The screw breaks just inside the nut. Appears to have failed in fatigue. What a pain in the rear. I have tried using higher strength socket head cap screws but it still breaks.

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Terry.
    I know your pain!!! On the nose wheel, I went a little bigger wheel to give the prop a little more room to turn. My field has a grass runway and the flex on the nose gear just let the prop hit the ground on take-off and landing. That is the only bad thing with a pull-pull stearing system. When the gear go up, the wire has a mind of its own. May I ask what starter are you using?? On my first Jackal 50, my Sullivan Dyna-Tron HI-Tork snap the nose cone right off, but, I was using a 24 volts battery. Now with a 12 volts, no problem at all.
    I hope this info help and don't give up on this plane!!! I know you love flying it!!!!!
    Have a great week!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got to fly my Jackal last week. I don't have the Jett muffler on yet, so speed is nothing to brag about. Electric retracts with steering pushrod work great, and it flies very smooth. Even though this plane is rather heavy for its size, I was able to perform some very large loops and knife edge flight is no problem. I did find that this plane exhibits some dutch roll on landing, due to adverse yaw from the ailerons, which is typical of large turbine jets. Sooooo, I mixed in some aileron-to-rudder when the flaps are full down. I let you know how this works out.

I also found that I was able to land more easily on half flap rather than full, and the elevator control was much more positive. One person noted that the elevator is in the wake of the flaps and might be experiencing poor airflow, and I should consider less flaps. I reduced my flap settings to about 20 deg and 30 deg and will try that out next time.

It was also a little hazy the day I flew, and when the plane was decending for landing I literally couldn't see those thin white wings. I wraped the red color around the top of the airfoil to about 1-3/8 inches, but only on the outer half of each wing. This should present something of a "barber pole" (for those that remember such things) when landing to provide some contrast. Kinda scary not to see if the wings are level when landing.

I also permanently added the wing fences and also added strakes to the intakes just above the wings. I've used these before for other reasons, but here I am hoping to improve pitch sensitivity without getting unstable. They should also create vortices that help keep the flow better attached behing the flaps, and increase the lift on the inboard part of the wing.

I really do believe that (for my taste) the elevators are just a tad small for the large pitch inertia of this airplane. Next step will be to widen the elevator cord.

You may have noticed that I am not just a speed junkie. I also want extreme manueverability and excellent low speed handling too (I just want it ALL).
    See pics of tweaks.

Can't wait to fly it again Mike

Name:	Ig13469.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	1737664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96142.jpg 
Size:	370.2 KB 
ID:	1737665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot47108.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	371.9 KB 
ID:	1737666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp41310.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	391.5 KB 
ID:	1737667  

I switched to a truturn spinner and it seems to be working well. I think the stock spinner is not balance well enough and eventually breaks the retaining screw. Flew again this weekend. I do not have any problems with slow speed flight coming in on final. Lands on mains and will roll for about 50-75 ft before the front wheel comes down. Crosswinds are not a problem for this plane. The control surfaces are very responsive at all speeds. This airplane has such a light feel to it. It doesn't taxi very well though. The front wheel is always hunting. And fuel goes everywhere inside of the fuse and out. What a mess! I noticed also that the motor shakes a bit at idle. Checked the engine mount and screws and all is ok. Twisted on the engine by hand and noticed it moves quit a bit. The whole nose of the airplane twists easily! The amount of flex surpised me. It is a fun airplane to fly. Extremely easy compared to my turbine jets. Knife edge flight is a piece of cake with this thing. Great practice plane to get ready for upcomming jet season.

Terry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info Terry, I was wondering how others like flying this plane and how they think it handles. I typically fly very responsive planes, and although I don't expect the Jackal to match those, I am used to a lot more pitch authority than the Jackal provides. I am somewhat infamous for experimenting with all of my planes and most of my mods are simply "because I can". Check out my highly modified Phoenix F-20 in the same-titled section of this forum.

When I started building the Jackal the first thing I noticed was the apparent lack of sufficient structure behind the firewall. I was quite appalled, considering the power and speed to be expected with a tuned muffler. I also pulled and twisted the nose and was not happy. What I did was add full bay 1/32 ply doublers to both sides and bottom of the tank area right up to the firewall, then added hard 1/2 tri-stock in all corners. I pre-checked to make sure these didn't interfere with the tank. This made quite a difference in stiffness and added very little weight. You might try this if you can dry off the fuel in that area.

As you mentioned also, I do find it a bit hard to steer as there isn't quite enough weight on the nosewheel. Hard to fix that.

Good flyin'
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still flying my jackal after a year with it still in one piece.
    I agree it is such an easy plane to fly, that with a lesser powered engine you could use it as a low wing trainer.

Totally agree with the lack of visibility when it lands, especially here in Dubai when it is quite hazy in the summer months.
    I land mine with full flaps without any trace of dutch roll , just programme about 1 - 2 degrees nose down elevator, slow it to a walking pace and it lands itself, very slow and stable. I use a 9x9 prop on my Jett 56 and this gives good braking effect for landing. when I used the 9x6 I could not slow it down for landing, and top speed was slightly less.

i had my first incident with it at the weekend, when I opened the throttle for take off, about halfway down the runway the engine started spluttering, but I put this down to it was not full throttle and it had not come onto pipe, as it sometimes does, but as I ran out of runway it got worse so I lifted off, put the gear up, just as the engine quit.
    the plane landed flat straigh tahead in the sand with no damage.
    I found that the bung in the front of the tank had come out, and looking at the design, it is only a compression fit, it does not expand behind the tank opening to seal and retain. So the rubber had hardened and finally came out. Luckily I have a spare tank to fit.
    May be worth checking when you have the plane in your workshops.

Darryl
    I used to land in English cow poo, now I land in Camel poo. Plane still smells the same though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Bob!

I have been distant from the hobby but am getting back into it with a vengance! Just finished up my Jackal W/Jett 56 package as well.... I also used a bubbless tank and electric retracts/doors. I am now producing High quality HD videos and posting them on youtube under the name RCINFORMER. I will be putting out several videos on the Jackal shortly discussing Jett motors and Tanks. Both you and Dubb may find them usefull for promotion and knowledge for customers on the Jett site. The videos will be similiar to but superior to the SU-27 video I made for you guys back in 2005! good to see the video is still available.... even now i still get email about it.

All my contact info is available on rcinformer.com

Anyway its good to be doing more R/C again.... talk with you soon.

Rich Baker

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jetpilotrich

Hey Bob!

I have been distant from the hobby but am getting back into it with a vengance! Just finished up my Jackal W/Jett 56 package as well.... I also used a bubbless tank and electric retracts/doors. I am now producing High quality HD videos and posting them on youtube under the name RCINFORMER. I will be putting out several videos on the Jackal shortly discussing Jett motors and Tanks. Both you and Dubb may find them usefull for promotion and knowledge for customers on the Jett site. The videos will be similiar to but superior to the SU-27 video I made for you guys back in 2005! good to see the video is still available.... even now i still get email about it.

Rich Baker
    Rich!!! Good to see you buddy...

Yeah everything like that would be outstanding to have available. I still pass around the link for the 2005 video ... often enough people wonder if the engine is hard to start or if it idles

Will keep an eye out...

Bob
    Bob Brassell
    Jett Engineering - Engine Mfg Support Forum Host
    rjbrassell@gmail.com or bob27s@hotmail.com
    RB-78

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Strangely, I start all my Jetts with a hand flip of the spinner and they start right up! The long nose spinners make it easy.

Do you know off hand what is the break-in prop for the 56LX? 9X7?

Someone made a electric jackal hitting the 180s.... wonder what speeds the Jett 56s have been putting out?

Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Daryl,

I saw where others in this forum had the same problem with the tanks, and I have had the same problem with the same style tank on other planes. Someone suggested that we cut the nibble off the tank so the stopper could be inserted far enough to expand inside the tank. I did exactly this - see photo. You can see that the stopper is actually compressed on the outside the tank, meaning it had to expand inside to do this. Unfortunately, others have had this tank split, and removing the nipple won't improve those chances, but at least it won't just pop out.

Mike

Name:	Pn37634.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	1738152  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    Well I think this weekend, I wil put my Jackal on the work table and look at every part of the bird. It will not be long before the good flying days will be back. When I put her to bed, I put after run oil in the engine and kept in a room that the temp is kept at 70 degs for the winter!! I always put a new flight battery in all of my birds. Can not wait till the weather break here in the Northwest!! I would love to see someone drop a jet engine in the bird and give us the flight report. This plane looks so cool with no prop and engine cutout in the nose!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

ORIGINAL: jetpilotrich

Hey Bob!

Rich Baker
    Rich!!! Good to see you buddy...

Yeah everything like that would be outstanding to have available. I still pass around the link for the 2005 video ... often enough people wonder if the engine is hard to start or if it idles

Will keep an eye out...

Bob
    Hey Bob and Rich,

Would you mind to share that link for th SU 28 video...was looking for it but could not find it.

@ Rich, I assume that video refers to your Avatar...clearly on top of my"I want to have it" list

cheers
    Gordon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here it is: http://www.jettengineering.com/hall/baker-su27.html

there is a link at the top of the page for the video.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All,

We finally got some nice weather so I took the Jackal out for her maiden. I put an OS .65AX in mine with EFlite 60-120 size electric retracts.

What a nice flyer ! Somebody had mentioned you could almost pass off the Jackal as a low-wing trainer..........I agree.

Even I was amazed by my first landing.[X(] Pretty good if I do say so myself......nose up about 20 degrees and she just slowly floated right in.

The only thing I noticed was I'm going to need to add more elevator throw. The suggested elevator throws were a little too timid for my taste.

Joe M.

Name:	Sq45845.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	1738750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mi22004.jpg 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	1738751  
    Joe Mamma

There\'s no such thing as gravity.........the earth sucks !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe,
    Congrat on your maiden flight today!! You are so right, this plane is a joy to fly. Can not wait for old man winter to leave so I can fly my baby!!
    Now you are hook!!
    Two quick question, how did the plane like the OS .65AX and how was the EFlite gear system??
    Thank for the info!!!
    Again. congrat on the maiden today!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast