RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Roger Purcell's Scream Machine!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/10389137-roger-purcells-scream-machine.html)

bkg1956 03-09-2011 11:37 AM

Roger Purcell's Scream Machine!!

1 Attachment(s)
Those of you who are fans of the Don Muddiman Flying machine will appreciate the Scream Machine designed by Roger Purcell.

If you are familiar with the construction of the Flying Machine, the Scream Machine will be familiar, mostly because Purcell and Muddiman are friends, lived near each other in Central Florida, and flew together for many years. In fact, Purcell states that Muddiman was his mentor in high speed sport aerobatics years ago.

Look at the pics below of my 44" and 50" Scream Machines. The 50" is powered by an OS .55 AX with tuned pipe per Don Muddiman's set-up. The 44" is a REAL SCREAMER with a Jett .50 BSE!!! Both airframes were built personally by Roger, and are two of only a known few remaining.

flyingmachine 03-09-2011 11:46 AM

RE: Roger Purcell's Scream Machine!!

Kind of a cross between a quickie and an ugly stick, I like the flying machine better, or the 40 size hotts...cool but not my thing

bkg1956 03-09-2011 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Roger has recently become a friend and has honored me by spending time at the field honing my skills. He is a tough task master! Basics, basics, basics!!! Entire flights of inverted flying circles, inverted figure 8's, inverted passes. If you have to bail out, fine...but you have to repeat the entire flight without bailing out before you move on to the next exercise. Fact of the matter is, I have taken on a new appreciation of practice!!!

He has also honored me by giving me permission to build his design, and I plan on building a few in the months ahead!! It is an amazingly maneuverable, wicked fast, incredibly strong plane! It will handle a full-power downward spins and snaps, pull out immediately, and never bat an eye!! Did I say it was STRONG??? Tracks straight and true, has NO bad habits, and lands like a sport plane. Honest!!

Below are pics of Roger and I at our first session. He is holding his latest design, the electric "Reaper," which is a scaled-down design of his Scream Machine. Wow, is it fast and maneuverable!!! He and I are pictured together with him holding his Reaper, and me holding my 50" Scream Machine.

bkg1956 03-09-2011 12:04 PM

flyingmachine sounds like you're making a judgment based on looks and not design. This is NOTHING like a stik or a quickie, except in shape. Sounds like you like a turtledeck on your airplanes, and that's fine. And FOR SURE it is nothing like a Hots, but neither is the Flying Machine!!! Ask Don Muddiman!!

daven 03-09-2011 12:46 PM

I've been sitting on a Flying Machine Kit, and a Tsunami Kit.

Still can't decide which one gets the NIB Nelson Sport .50 (yes, they exist)

he he.

lomcevoc 03-09-2011 06:18 PM

Me like :D. I'm building the F.M. as we speak from a set of his plans, fuse is framed up and wing needs sheeted on the bottom.
So, are the plans available for all us F.M. freaks? How do we get a copy? Is there a build manual?

Lom

bkg1956 03-09-2011 06:37 PM

Lom, are you asking about the Scream Machine? If so, plans are not available at the present time. Roger sort of put it away when he stopped flying fuel a few years ago. I've acquired his info and will be building some for myself. Don't have his permission to share the info as of now...But we'll see!

combatpigg 03-09-2011 09:00 PM

Very cool looking planes! It's great to see homebuilt projects featured here. I'm pretty jealous to see you guys out there having a blast with your planes while I bring another load of wood into the house....[:o]

bkg1956 03-09-2011 09:43 PM

Thanks combatpigg! Appreciate the comments.

lomcevoc 03-10-2011 03:58 AM

Yes I am referring to the Scream Machine. Any chance of asking Roger to share a copy with me ;)? I've got a brand new JETT motor as well just waiting to go on something like this. My F.M. is getting a brandy new O.S.40 FSR w/Pipe (yep,there still out there).
Let me know, I would seriously like to build one of the Scream Machines.
Thanks

Lom

bkg1956 03-10-2011 06:29 AM

Lom, I'll be in touch with Roger today and will PM you! Is that ok?

lomcevoc 03-10-2011 09:18 AM

Works great for me, I will check my messages when I get home from work.
I really appreciate that! :D

screamrp 03-10-2011 08:18 PM

Hi, This is( Roger Purcell ) builder and designer of the SCREAM MACHINE Planes and the ELECTRIC REAPER SCREAM MACHINE PLANE. // They have changed very little since 1985, and they are in NO WAY LIKE any other stick style plane out there NOW, or in the past. My Wing Rib design is unlike any other,and un-matched for speed and high speedaerobatics by any body elses period.!!
The REAPER ELECTRIC is a very modified version of the fuel Scream Machine with a super fast thin wing with very high liftcharactoristics. It runs117 to 122 mph with no over heating. Weighs 2 lbs.4 ozs. with 5 lbs. +thrust.
I switched to all Electricback in 2007' after messing with electrics ( my own designs)for about5 years prior.

You had asked another memberifyou could get plans or copy templates ?? I have talked with him and he has my permission to help you out withthat ASAP. !! Years ago I had Laser cut kits produced and still retain the CADS DISC for that with all the info ready to go and cut more anytime. Talk to Kevin about this because soon I will let him go at it if he so desires. // Remember one thing !! No other Plane out there NOW or BEFOREout handles, out flies or outmaneuvers a Flying Machine or the Scream Machine and never will. !!
So when you decide to build one, follow the directions to a T. There is a reason for everything on this plane !! and when you see the wing rib design, do not try to change it in anyway, it may look unlike all you've seen before, because it is. !!

The REAPER wing will never be allowed to be copied by anyone nor could they anyway. // Well GOOD LUCK !! Have a great time building one, and when you're through, you will be a master builder. !!

You have just been given the best advice, all TRUE facts, by the KING OF SCREAM !! Roger Purcell 03 / 11 / 11

screamrp 03-15-2011 08:26 PM

<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: larger">Hi , The Nelson Motors tend to be on the heavy side compared to the O.S. 55 or the Dub-Jet 50 sport. So if you mount it on your Flying Machine it will be nose heavy and will not deliver the performance you're expecting. // Rig it just like Don Muddimans using the O.S. 55 with the 7.5cc Mac tuned pipe (no bafffle ) 11 1/2" long pipe // use a 8 oz. Hayes fuel Tank // Hanger 9 #9 or 8 glow plugs // 10% Omega Pink Fuel ( no green crap ) and you'll be very happy. - Roger P // Go to Don Muddimans Web-Site, there you will find how to order his Plans, etc. right from Don in St. Cloud, Fl.</span></span>

daven 03-16-2011 03:57 AM

Alright, I'll save it for another plane.

Thanks.

MJD 03-16-2011 08:59 AM

I pulled a low res image of the Flying Machine plans from the internet - the airfoil is rough at that resolution, but a 10% chord Eppler 168 thickened by 20% overlays very tightly to the image. Interesting.

screamrp 03-16-2011 01:37 PM

<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: larger">Hi from Roger P. ( Scream Machines )

The Flying Machine wing rib design is not like the Scream Machine Rib. // Mine is thinner 3/4", faster, yetstill providesmore lift with instant recovery out of any high speed, high G,maneuver. So it never stalls, never loses altitude till it starts to fly again, as soon as it MOVES period, all controls are ready to go. !! It still lands like a Trainer though. // Both planes have a semisymetrical wing design in common, but that's all. My Scream Machine isa built up wing, The Flying Machine is Foam sheetedover with balsa. The Scream Machine has positive lift built into the Rib design, anda trailing edge air spoiler effect built in,but has the forward air attack of a fully symetrical airfoil. There isno other airfoil like it,and I've been told by Real Aircraft designers that it shouldn't do what it does because it does not follow their theory of wing design.// Well, IT WORKS !! rp</span></span>

MJD 03-16-2011 04:14 PM

I'll bet it does! I'd love to fly one. Just my type of fun - overpowered and stupidly aerobatic. My main reason for commenting on the Flying Machine airfoil looking like a thick E168, is that the airfoil is everything - depending who you talk to - and the E168 is known as a great sport aerobatic airfoil , and not excessively thick either. If the two are similar then I can imagine where their habits come from.

Wiggy 03-17-2011 04:57 AM

The Flying Machine had a sheeted foam core wing. No ribs.

bkg1956 03-17-2011 06:18 AM

The Scream Machine is all Roger has said. With all said, you simply cannot let it get ahead of you. That's what Roger is driving into me in our mentoring time. One moment of inattention and it's over! No plane! You really have to build a "relationship" with the plane. Lots of practice, especially inverted. The basics help you get to know the plane. Doesn't have to be flown full speed! A joy to fly at half throttle!

screamrp 03-17-2011 07:57 AM

<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: larger">The Flying Machine has a FOAM CORE WING of course !! But it gets CUT BY HOT WIRE following a wing RIB design on each end while cutting it. // That's all I'm saying, it's AIR FOIL design isnot like a Scream Machine wing. -rp</span></span>

bob27s 03-20-2011 11:35 AM

Sweet....

Don's design was always a pleasure to fly !

bkg1956 03-20-2011 06:48 PM

Thanks, Bob! Gotta tell you, my 44" Scream Machine with the Jett .50 BSE is a joy to fly! The sound of the Jett is amazing! Reminds me of an F1 racing engine!

bkg1956 03-21-2011 06:55 PM

I am preparing to put together building instructions for the Scream Machine, with the permission of designer Roger Purcell. I would like to know what interest there is in receiving this info once completed. There would be a minimal fee involved. PM me if you have an interest.

Thanks.

bkg1956 05-01-2011 10:00 AM

Here are some pics of my scratch-built Scream Machine. I acquired the templates from Roger Purcell, the designer. My first scratch build...ever!! The way Roger explains the build he makes it very doable. I presently have an OS 46FX for power (until I can get another Jett .50!). In consultation with Roger, I made a couple of modifications, including a thinner, more efficient and fast airfoil, and adding more rake to the vertical stabilizer (to 30 degrees). Do you think I'll be able to see it??? It's gonna be so fast, I hope so!!