RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Weston Magnum .bvm .82 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/10535519-weston-magnum-bvm-82-a.html)

farmerz24 05-22-2011 11:20 PM

Weston Magnum .bvm .82

1 Attachment(s)
Weston Magnum with BVM .82. Flew once before (have to get that video up on youtube), but was still too nose heavy so I am now having to shorten the nose. The wing dowels will plug into the firewall, or atleast that is what Iam thinking unless anyone else has a better idea. Hopefully this project will fly again this summer. was also thinking of putting twin low profile aileron servos out in the wing for the ailerons so that there is more room in the fuse for a fuel tank but am unsure if this will work also. I would then also want to make the control linkages for the aileron all internal.

It seemed pretty fast as I could never really go full throttle with it on the maiden flight, yet the dubb jett .50 version Ihave Ican fly around at full throttle for the entire flight..

Iwill try to get that video of my old camcorder and get it on youtube in the meantime.

airraptor 05-23-2011 07:55 AM

RE: Weston Magnum .bvm .82

I think you would be better off making a new fuselage that can hold everything and cowl the engine in. as it is now no room for a tank.
also the internal linkages for the ailerons doesnt sound like a good idea unless you have a set up with zero twist. a normal wire set up will twist and can induce flutter.

smoknrv4 05-23-2011 08:05 AM

That engine will probably use about 4 ozs a minute with a CF 9x10 prop, your probably better off sticking with the Jett IMHO, you might not get much more speed that a Jett for all the extra bother.

vicman 05-23-2011 08:37 AM

but was still too nose heavy
Ya Think?!!
Cool project though, I hope you can get it sorted out. Jett .50 seems to be one of the better set-ups around fwiw.

farmerz24 05-24-2011 09:26 AM

-the tank will go right behind the engine on the wing.

-Once you see the video of its flight, its clear that it has the potential to be faster than the .jett 50.

iflyg450 06-05-2011 10:39 AM

I just started flying a magnum. Nice plane but its empty weight is very high I think. Mine is running a Super Tigre X45. A rear exhaust engine. The plane is fast and does track well. But I think a big heavy engine is all wrong the wing loading is going to be VERY HIGH

Roary m 06-18-2011 08:41 PM

How well do you like the X 45? Am curious what prop/plug/fuel arrangement you are running in yours; I appreciate any input you can give me.