RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Jett engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/10613707-jett-engine.html)

Iron Bottom 07-09-2011 02:13 PM

Jett engine

I have an older but never started Jett fan jet 50. Rear intake and exhaust. I have to find the pipe, know I have it somewhere. Can someone suggest an airframe for this thing? Or does it go back in hibernation?

smoknrv4 07-09-2011 04:46 PM

RE: Jett engine

Do you have any pics?

Iron Bottom 07-09-2011 05:13 PM

I'll see if I can get a pic and post it.

freakingfast 07-10-2011 06:25 AM

Demon or Diamond Dust?

Pylonracr 07-10-2011 12:27 PM

Either of those would be fine, but so would any fast .40 sized plane. A Patriot comes to mind if you can find one.
Just put it on something and get it into the air.
Be sure to properly break it in on a test stand. This will also allow you to tune the pipe to the proper length and choose beginning props. If you have never tuned a pipe let me know and I can help, it is not hard.

Keep us posted.

Scott

Crazy4Flight 07-11-2011 04:42 PM

www.jettengineering.com

Iron Bottom 07-11-2011 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the pic.

Iron Bottom 07-11-2011 06:19 PM

Sorry for the dark picture. I think the location of the pipe will dictate the choice of an airframe. I would like to see it fly someday.

I don't see this engine on the Jett site. They were made when fan jets were popular, so probably no demand for them now. However, they made some serious turns!

Thanks for the replies, guys. Any and all ideas are and will be appreciated.

Pylonracr 07-11-2011 06:29 PM

That thing has H9 Jackal written all over it.

richardgerardi 07-12-2011 05:48 AM

I think it would go nicely on the Kougar.

blindfaithnogod 07-12-2011 09:18 AM

i think i would try to get ahold of an used FAI/F3D pylon racer. I bet Gary Freeman or Randy Bridge could help you find one. check out the nmpra.org forum and you'll find Gary pretty easy.

vertical grimmace 07-12-2011 10:11 AM

What about this? I am sure accounting for the pipe could be done. The wing looks good and this would be easy to fly. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ellow_ARF.html

bob27s 07-12-2011 11:19 AM

We haven't made the fan engines in about 8 years :) But a good engine none the less. Ran the crud out of mine in the turbax 1

If you can find an older F-1 airframe or FAI airframe it would be ideal !!! It is essentially an FAI engine with a carb on it.

Use one of the current QM props from APC.

<disclaimer> THIS IS AN OBSOLETE WEBSITE PAGE PROVIDE FOR REFERENCE HERE ONLY !!!!! </disclaimer>

http://www.jettengineering.com/engines/fan50.html

Not that it adds much of information.

and older fan-trainer image
http://www.jettengineering.com/hall/arrotrainer.jpg

smoknrv4 07-12-2011 12:07 PM

Awesome! Me likes the looks of that engine!

bob27s 07-13-2011 10:00 AM

just for the curious - Dub essentially still offers the same sort of engine. It is what he calls the "FAI practice engine". A rear exhaust version QM40 engine, front intake, full pipe.... and choice of venturi or an actual carb if you so desire. Uses the APC QM props. Special build, but a few sold each year.

Iron Bottom 07-13-2011 10:20 AM

Bob, I want to say thanks for posting the older web page. BTW, I also have two Jett heli engines stashed somewhere that were never started. A.76 and a .40 if I remember correctly.

smoknrv4 07-13-2011 02:22 PM

Just wondering when the Jett website is going to be updated?

freakingfast 07-14-2011 07:39 AM

That Jett 50 fan engine, must have been a beast and 3.5 oz. lighter than an OS46VXDF to boot!

The thing to remember about df engines is they make power at high rpm. This locks it in to several requirements, a prop capable of holding up to the forces(carbon), small diameter to keep the tip speed down for efficiency and noise. These engine/ prop requirements then lock it's uses restricted to low frontal area, VERY aerodynamically clean planes. A clipped wing Diamond Dust or Quickie 500 would be the ragged edge of that requirement for instance and I'm not sure if the Jackal would fit the bill.

They also are very thirsty, an OS46VXDF eats 8 oz. of fuel in 3 minutes! APC has reduced it's carbon prop inventory and the best prop for DF engines they have is a 7.4X8.1. I don't think that prop will hold the Jett df engine back, it barely holds back the OS.

You could de-tune a DF engine to move the peak to lower speeds, but at that point you are better off with a different engine like a Jett 56.

Roary m 07-14-2011 02:40 PM

I have the identical setup, engine and fan but no pipe(never ran it). One of the stator blades is missing; does anyone know if the Turbax units can still be found?

smoknrv4 07-14-2011 03:10 PM

Turbax units come up FS in the RCU marketplace quite often if you keep your eyes open, I'm not sure if you can buy them new anymore though. Do a google search you'd also be surprised at what might come up.;)

Roary m 07-14-2011 04:10 PM

Thank you, good idea. I really want to see what this guy will do since the thread started here, got my intrigue going. BTW, if he works well, he will be going into a Knights of the Air U2.

Iron Bottom 07-15-2011 05:41 AM

Jet Hanger Hobbies has Turbax fans and parts available according to their web site, if the site is up to date. Availability of the Turbax was a problem at the time I bought the Fan JET, and is one of the reasons I lost interest in getting it in the air. I am checking out the models that have been suggested. The propeller situation is looking a little grim.

Roary m 07-15-2011 04:17 PM

I have some ducted fans but have never pursued putting them in the air for various reasons. I figured the Jett 50 would work initially in a jet trainer of some kind then stick him in the U 2. Thank you for the feedback on availability; I did wonder if this stuff was still out there since fans were coming back as electric units.

Iron Bottom 08-02-2011 04:54 AM

Well, guys, I decided not to pursue this project. The Fan Jett gets to rest a little longer.