RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   WHY!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/10956567-why.html)

smoknrv4 02-13-2012 04:33 AM

WHY!!!

Why do some people take a perfectly good, brand new sometimes, engine and drill out the mounting holes, or brutally modify it in other ways??? It really annoys me, especially when I'm looking to buy an engine in the classifieds only to see in the pics that the mounting holes have been brutally modified with a pitch fork!!
Am I just being too picky? Or are there other guys out there like me and hate to see engine abuse like that?
My rant is done now and I feel better.

soarrich 02-13-2012 04:40 AM

RE: WHY!!!

Most people are hackers not used to working with their hands, but it's their engine. Buy new and you won't have that problem.

smoknrv4 02-13-2012 05:10 AM

ORIGINAL: soarrich
Buy new and you won't have that problem.

Well yeah...obviously.:)

speedracerntrixie 02-13-2012 05:43 AM

Take a few deep breaths.......everything will be OK. I have to agree, most people nowadays do not know how to take care of their equipment. I tremble whenever I see a TX that is covered in oil and dirt.

lfinney 02-13-2012 10:09 AM

its called git her done..sadly, i didnt have that size of drill bit or some other nonsense, like grabbing the prop drive with pliers to tighten prop nut...

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 02-13-2012 01:56 PM

You must be talking about the Jett .56 with the HUGE mounting holes!

smoknrv4 02-13-2012 02:43 PM

Yep, turns out the motor mount he was using was already tapped for a larger screw, jeepers you'd think you would just get a different mount or something, not drill the holes bigger on the engine.[:-]

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 02-14-2012 03:09 AM

I guess that was his easy way out.

It's gone, so someone thought that hack job was OK!

It is still a honkin engine, even with big holes!!!

combatpigg 02-14-2012 09:23 PM

The mounting holes aren't that big of a deal. You could set the engine on it's mount at the correct angle , then sleeve your mounting screws with K&S tubing. Fill the remaining voids with JB Weld and that's that.

speedracerntrixie 02-16-2012 09:38 AM

Well RV, I feel your pain even more now. I just got a DLE 55 off another site, it was a smokin deal so I didn't expect it to be perfect. I did not expect to see epoxy all over a mounting lug, plier marks on the prop bolts, smoke pre-heater JB weled onto the header, the canister was drilled and a screw was installed strait through with a nut to keep the coupler on and the canister has scratches on it as if it got epoxy or RTV on it and it was scraped off. All fixable but in the hack catagory.

smoknrv4 02-16-2012 04:47 PM

Ah man that sucks! One of the risks we take I guess, but some people are just hacks and disgust me.[>:]

scoeroo 02-17-2012 06:15 PM

I open every hole up.......in the liner that is, opening up the lug holes doesnt make an engine go fast, its all in the timing -

summerwind 02-18-2012 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: scoeroo

I open every hole up.......in the liner that is, opening up the lug holes doesnt make an engine go fast, its all in the timing -
God that statement to this topic had to be a joke right?[:-]

i agree with you Smokyn, and that's why i've said it's sad to see what the "ARF" industry has brought out of the woodwork............."hackers" not modelers, just plain ol backyard mechanic hackers.

scoeroo 02-18-2012 06:00 AM

Just about every engine i have owned has been worked over.......ROSSI's are my specialty

smoknrv4 02-18-2012 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: scoeroo

I open every hole up.......in the liner that is, its all in the timing -

That's different, and totally acceptable.:)

Roary m 02-19-2012 05:26 PM

So long as you can catch the mod before you commit to buy. I bought an 'almost new' ST 45 years ago and the owner had drilled out and retapped the back plate holes for the rubber mount lugs, a real trashy job.

smoknrv4 02-19-2012 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Roary m

So long as you can catch the mod before you commit to buy. I bought an 'almost new' ST 45 years ago and the owner had drilled out and retapped the back plate holes for the rubber mount lugs, a real trashy job.
Bummer, and I wonder how many metal chips were
left in the crankcase when he was done with it?[:-]

daven 02-20-2012 04:38 AM

I agree with you on this one, I wouldn't want a performance motor from someone that had treated it that way. If they didn't care about the case, did they care about the break in? How did they run it? etc...

Roary m 02-20-2012 05:23 PM

It really disgusted me because when I removed the engine from its mount, he had long gone across country. The engine ran well but the back plate holes and the case holes were so buggered up, just a mess. I will say that in all of the transactions here at RCU I have had not one problem or issue. Really great guys to deal with here. I feel bad reading about the deals some guys get burned on.

bob27s 02-20-2012 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: daven

I agree with you on this one, I wouldn't want a performance motor from someone that had treated it that way. If they didn't care about the case, did they care about the break in? How did they run it? etc...
Agree here entirely

smoknrv4 02-20-2012 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: daven

Great point...my feelings exactly!

flysrc 02-21-2012 01:52 PM

Johnathan,
Reaming out the mounting holes peeve's me just like the knuckle draggers that grab the drive washer with a pair of pliers the thread on a prop. Instead of reaming out prop :TD:

Dave

smoknrv4 02-21-2012 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: flysrc

Johnathan,
Reaming out the mounting holes peeve's me just like the knuckle draggers that grab the drive washer with a pair of pliers the thread on a prop. Instead of reaming out prop :TD:

Dave
No kidding Dave, I've seen a lot of engines that have a badly scared up drive washer, I just cringe.[:@]