RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Carolina Speed Rally...Again!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/11003500-carolina-speed-rally-again.html)

vicman 03-16-2012 07:54 PM

Carolina Speed Rally...Again!!!

Here we go again,
All you guys on the east coast who think you are fast, June 30 is your day to be there or be square!
We will be holding the 5th annual Carolina Speed Rally Saturday June 30.
This is the only known true Speed event in the US.

Keep an eye out in future Model Aviation district IV reports to get a warm fuzzy.
If you are within 500 miles of our field and you like fast planes this is the place to be!!!!

www.caldwellareromodelers.com

ftjets 03-17-2012 01:42 AM

RE: Carolina Speed Rally...Again!!!

Vic,
You know that i'm a bit more than 500 miles but I have sent out the warnings to friends, family and customers that i will be out of town then. FedEx is scheduled to show up today and Tuesday. All i will say is save me a 200 sticker!:D
John

vicman 03-17-2012 09:22 AM

I can't wait to give you one buddy!:D:D
I need to make up some 225 and 250 stickers this year.[X(]

ftjets 03-17-2012 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll give you a little hint. That's an HET 90mm fan housing on the right and fedex just delivered the wheel brakes. [;)

vicman 03-17-2012 04:41 PM

Right on!
I'll bring my ear plugs:D

cmmicroheli 04-09-2012 02:34 PM

OH Boy I cantforthis one. You know I'm a ways away but the drive is worth it. Bringing the family with me this year.

vicman 04-09-2012 05:11 PM

It will be great to see Revver Bro 254.5:D

vicman 04-29-2012 05:29 PM

Model Aviation did a really nice job of letting our event be featured in the District IV report.
I am happy to report that we have a new sponsor this year. RTL fasteners has donated a nice prize of one of thier screw selector kits. We thank them for the support.
Dalton Sportswear is also planning something again this year. John has been very generous in the previous years and gives us some great shirts, hats, and other cool goodies.
http://www.caldwellaeromodelers.com/speedrally.asp
Here is a link directly to the results page along with a nice vid that was put togeather for us.

Please post in this thread or the other forum if you are planning to come. It really helps for all of us planning the event. If you have questions please contact me. I love to talk about the Rally!

cmmicroheli 04-29-2012 06:26 PM

Well here's one for ya Vic. ThisWAS my entry to the rally. Good news Ifound all the parts and the motor survived. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBgCesdinrw Its replacement is in the works.

cmmicroheli 04-29-2012 06:31 PM

That was a nice write up on the rally.My dad got a kick out of it.

airraptor 04-29-2012 07:55 PM

how do you measure the speed?

airraptor 04-29-2012 07:57 PM

cmmheli sounds like you were running a wire loop for a ant. ?? yes??

vicman 04-30-2012 02:45 AM

Dang Chris! That was impressive!:)

AR, we are using a Stalker Pro to measure time.
The pilot gets two passes from two directions, we record all four times for an average speed. However we grant bragging rights to the fastest one on the books.
The main goal of this event is to have a bunch of fun with some really impressive fast planes.

airraptor 04-30-2012 11:04 AM

is there any restrictions on planes or plane type? IE could i use a F3D plane or a F5D type. or a USRA unlimited?

combatpigg 04-30-2012 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

is there any restrictions on planes or plane type? IE could i use a F3D plane or a F5D type. or a USRA unlimited?
No restrictions that I've ever heard of.
If you needed to "win" this ralley badly enough you could convert a 747 to RC and do some low passes..

vicman 04-30-2012 04:21 PM

The only restriction is no turbines. We have a fabric runway and don't want to melt any holes in it.
Otherwise bring it on!
Heck, we even had a heli do 86 one year.
This is THE event for anyone who likes to overpower a plane and see what it will do. :D

propstryker 04-30-2012 05:39 PM

I have two members from Asheville-Buncombe Aeromodelers that will be making the trek with me!

vicman 04-30-2012 05:57 PM

That will be great!
Thanks G.

C_Roundy 04-30-2012 05:58 PM

Hmm, I'm thinkin' the Herbrandson 290cc nitro & glow twin from my USRA Super Corsair, spinning an
18" x 66.6" propeeler, Jethro slapped onto an Ugly Stik with tall gear ought to do the trick.

I promise to miss the fabric runway when I make my hole.... ;)

vicman 04-30-2012 05:59 PM

You have a few planes I would like to watch go by. I gotta warn you though, the lekkie guys come here with plenty of game.:D

C_Roundy 04-30-2012 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: vicman

You have a few planes I would like to watch go by. I gotta warn you though, the lekkie guys come here with plenty of game.:D
Ahhh, I really do wish I could be there, I would load up for bear like I haven't in a long loong time, for the privilege of getting my azz kicked by said lekkie guys, no matter how gamey they smell. :D
I would see no honorable way around it!

VicMan, I've followed the growth of your Speed Party from out here on the left coast since the beginning of your efforts, and to me, what you and your com padres have built up is the coolest thing since God invented nitro. bar none. Salute Sir!!!

airraptor 04-30-2012 08:14 PM

Roundy as you might know those herbie engines make just over 40 HP on glow. most run a 20x33 prop at around 10,000 or so maybe more. The latest trend though are the DA and ZDZ's in the 120-160cc range. they are lighter and run pretty close to the same speeds.

I would like to go also but i cant make it. Maybe i need to see if i set up a mini speed rally at my club, or maybe sac would be better since out in middle of no where.

airraptor 04-30-2012 08:21 PM

The F5D electrics are now running 55 seconds or less on the race course. the best glow engine time is low 57's on the F3D planes which have rear exhaust full pipe nelson's, drake or MB engines in them.

here is the video. they run gear drives with 7x23 prop at 20,000 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7gaGXnItc

C_Roundy 05-01-2012 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Roundy as you might know those herbie engines make just over 40 HP on glow. most run a 20x33 prop at around 10,000 or so maybe more. The latest trend though are the DA and ZDZ's in the 120-160cc range. they are lighter and run pretty close to the same speeds.

I would like to go also but i cant make it. Maybe i need to see if i set up a mini speed rally at my club, or maybe sac would be better since out in middle of no where.
Um.. ahh.. ahem..... airraptor, I gotta ask, did you get that my 18" x 66.6" post was tongue in cheek?
Regardless, I pretty much "got" the stuff yer sayin' back before the turn of the century when it all became true.

If I ever actually get around to molding a new wing for my F2G-1D, it will just be a poor humble 240mph sport plane. Yup, not a competitive bone in its oversized, overweight body. It takes 14 lbs of motor, shaft extension, spinner, and prop just to balance it.

Sorry, but I'm still having trouble believing what I think I read that you wrote. Did you actually explain to me that 120-160cc engines are lighter than a 289cc engine? [X(]

No matter, have fun
C.R.

C_Roundy 05-01-2012 12:58 AM

post doubled.