RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Hotser (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/11042236-hotser.html)

dbacque 07-02-2013 12:03 PM

RE: Hotser

My control throws are close to what you suggest. I've got a little more aileron throw but the ailerons are cut way down from the stock Hots. It felt good in roll. My CG is about 30%. With the backplate mount allowing the engine to move back a bit and a tuned pipe instead of a stock muffler, I had to move the battery forward quite a bit from my regular Hots', even with the addition of the spinner and cowl. I'd like to move the battery a bit more forward but it just doesn't fit. I was thinking of trying a different battery pack but once it was trimmed things felt pretty good. So I think I'm alright on CG. I need another couple of flights to start feeling these things out.

I added 6 oz. of castor to a gallon of all synthetic fuel like Dub recommends for break in. My goodness does that engine run! And with the red carb it handles like a sport engine. You should have seen the faces when I fired it up at the field. The best two quotes for the day were "I've never heard an engine that sounded like that!" and "I've never seen a tach reading that high before!"

Dave

MJD 07-03-2013 12:13 PM

If you ever have to do a dB check at a club field, drop a (balanced) 10-6 or 10-7 on it and tune it on the richest side of 2-cycle that you can. Then sneak off and fit the flight prop. Guess how I learned that trick.

Yeah they are some engine. Once you handle one, you'll likely forget all the doubts you ever had about the sticker price.

dbacque 07-04-2013 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: MJD

Yeah they are some engine. Once you handle one, you'll likely forget all the doubts you ever had about the sticker price.
I don't care what they cost, I want three or four more!

Oh wow, I flew The Hotser again today! Flights 3, 4 and 5.

Flight 3 was good. I was more prepared for what was to come, I had things fairly well trimmed and I settled into more of a speed plane, high speed pass type of pattern. I kept the flight short but learned a lot about the plane.

Flight 4 was even better. I fired up the HKDoppler app on my cell phone (when did they change the name and take on HK sponsorship?) But I didn't get a single speed reading on this flight. Well, actually I got lots of readings of 29 mph, 27 mph, 32 mph. Turns out that when it updated from RCSpeedo to HKDoppler, it reset all the settings to default. Plus, I wasn't getting very low or close yet.

Flight 5 was a joy! I tweaked the needle more than before, it was really on the pipe and I was more comfortable. Good gosh, this thing is a ball to fly! My friend Mike was laughing like a goon behind me the entire flight. Every time I'd pull up out of a speed run and climb out at undiminished speed he would howl! I really think he was having more fun that I was. But the best part was that when I landed and reviewed HKDoppler, I had numbers.

Survey says, 140+ mph! I was still not getting in very close and it only picked up a handful of passes. All were above 140 mph with one at 138.5.

The engine still isn't thoroughly run in, I've got the pipe pulled out a bit from peak, the needle is still on the rich side and I haven't tried any other props yet. But I've already hit the design goal. I wanted this plane to do 140 and it's there with no tweaking.

On the last flight I did a bit of zooming around at full throttle, figure eight turns and Cuban eights back and forth. This thing rocks.

I am settling down from the first flight jitters. I think it's now scarier to the guys behind the flight line than it is to me. I just grooves and goes forever in the direction that you point it. What fun, what fun. I think I'm hooked!

Dave

MJD 07-04-2013 01:53 PM

Problem with my Jett .50 is I look at the rest of my .40-.50 engine inventory and go "yeah, whatever..". With a couple of exceptions, the MVVS .49 and West .50 are okay by me. It's the rest of the muffled sport engines that put me to sleep.

140mph plus! Rock on! That's great.

You'll be used to it in no time and doing crazy stuff. You sound like a total addict already.. :D

combatpigg 07-05-2013 06:31 PM

Nice report DB..!
It sounds like a combination that you could send into outer space.
I'm curious what the difference in speed would be if you swap to regular width tires..leaving everything else the same.
I'd guess 3 to 5 mph..?
Now that you're getting used to the plane, the knife edge loops are just a few weeks away....[8D]

dbacque 07-06-2013 04:22 PM

Yeah, I'm sure real tires wouldn't make any appreciable difference, but these look so cool!

KE loops? Don't hold your breath!

No flying today, gusty and bumpy.

Dave