RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Sig Wonder (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/11174098-sig-wonder.html)

ehelibuff 07-29-2012 09:27 PM

Sig Wonder

I have a new SIG Wonder kit sitting in my storage and thinking of building it quite soon. I'm thinking of putting mini servos in it and a screaming K&B 3.5 (.21) with tuned pipe on it. I'm also considering shortening the wing a bit. My buddy had a K&B 6.5 (.40) on his and it was a lightning bolt! I do have a NIB O.S. VR-P .40 I could strap onto it. If I do, i'll need to run carbon all through the plane and glass most of it as well. Or perhaps a pulse jet on top?

windcosmic 07-29-2012 10:46 PM

RE: Sig Wonder

Sei stato lasciato dall'amante? Mi dispiace. Ma preghero', per te.

ehelibuff 07-30-2012 10:58 AM

What?

jodini 07-30-2012 02:17 PM

Very nice to see another sig wonder out there. I had a sig wonder on just a OS .15 and it was plenty fast for me! I loved how it could loop on a dime! I have a Shrike now with a norvel .25....doesn't loop as fast but it's a bullet!

Would love to see some pictures of the build!
joe

ehelibuff 07-30-2012 02:23 PM

Should be pretty cool when it's finished.. I've had a few of these and all were really fun! I had a couple Shrike 40's with Nelson .40's on them. One had retracts. It flew pretty good but those too looped like crap, but rolled like a blur!

jamaicaman 07-30-2012 11:00 PM

I built a Wonder with a Naca0008 airfoil with a modified .40 MDS marine engine.
First fly 180kmh with the 8x8 APC. (200m FAI)
Second fly with 7x10 APC and my Wonder explodes. The wing was built to light.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/75_75.gif
my fault!

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/attac...p;d=1300288923

The wonder is nice toy, but not really fast

jodini 07-31-2012 03:08 PM

Jamacianman....I agreed. Probably not the fastest but fun as heck! I think it's a great design and worth keeping around. I should build another one! Lots of fun!
joe

ehelibuff 07-31-2012 05:29 PM

Yeah, not very fast. Fun as hell. The VR-P I have is a rear intake rear exhaust. No throttle. It's a Formula 1 pylon engine. I have a lot of choices still in the air as to how i'll build it yet. It'll be a bad ass when it's done though.

Crazy4Flight 08-04-2012 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SEVERAL YEARS AGO...THESE WERE FLYING

jodini 08-07-2012 02:23 PM

SWEET! Love the two engines! That thing had to scream!
Joe

Crazy4Flight 08-08-2012 05:08 PM

I am planning on a 2nd twin, I have to Cox Conquest .15

the wonder pictured had OS .15FP

ehelibuff 08-08-2012 05:22 PM

That should pull it well. Are they piped? Get a good speed prop on it turning 20K and it'll be a fun plane!

aspeed 08-10-2012 05:14 AM

My Conquest was doing 19,500 rpm without a pipe or muffler on a MA 7-5".  A 6-6" would likely be about the same but may be a bit faster. A pipe would benefit from different timing on the exh. and would be tempermental.(but faster for sure if the crank holds up)

ehelibuff 08-10-2012 10:51 AM

The weak link in Conquests was the rod. They went a lot. But the Rossi 15 rod worked perfect in them. Something to consider....;)

MJD 09-20-2012 09:20 AM

I sent both mine to Ron Young @ SPR Racing, for overhaul with ABC top end (piston, liner, and con rod). First run: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ImgsQJpq0]Conquest .15 first bench run[/link] Here it is not peaked and is making better rpm than the Aeromodeller test engine did on the same Bartels prop: [link=http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/documents/cox_test_conquest_15_aeromodeller_june_1977.pdf]Conquest .15 review[/link]

I'd lean toward APC 7x5 or 6.5x5 or maybe Graupner Speed 6x5.5 props. Not sure if 6x6 is a bit too much pitch/dia for a .15 on a Wonder, but give it a try. The Graupner grey nylon 6x6 fits the Conquest without modification.

For reference, 6" pitch at 20,000rpm is a pitch speed of about 120mph. If the .15 does not have enough power to pull a Wonder at 120mph (which I seriously doubt), then it will probably turn out that the combination of a bit less pitch and more diameter will be optimal. My first guess on a Wonder would be the 7x5, but experimenting will tell the story.

Mikie 1 09-24-2012 04:58 AM

Hey Guys, hope you don't mind me popping-in.
I flew my Wounder again yesterday and was impressed...again,

This past summer I wrecked the plane twice because of transmitter problems, Then I had a Magnum 15 spinning an APC 9X6 and it was a fun plane to fly.
During the second repair I began thinking about a Magnum 25 XLS I had just finished breaking in, for another project that wasn't going anywhere. So I held up the engine (already attached to an engine mount) and saw I would have to remove a small amount of balsa from the inside walls of the plane. So I thought "why not?".
The Magnus 25 is again spinnig an APC 9X6 at about 13,000 rpm (on 15% nitro) and is a hoot to fly!!
I'm guessing she's up around 100mph + with an unlimited ceiling. Actually tried to fly her into a cloud yesterday, but she got really, really small before disappearing. Doing a fly-by, at full speed, there's a whistle she never had with the Magnum 15.
I LOVE IT!!

aspeed 09-24-2012 07:08 AM

I figure you need about 17,000 rpm to go 100.  It may unload a bit in the air from your 13,000 rpm but not quite that much.  We run our LA .25 racers on mandatory Master Airscrew 8x6 props at around 15,500 rpm.  I think the Magnum would go a bit higher rpm. It might be worth a try. or an 8x7.  I think the sound you hear on the low flyby's is the covering flapping.  Isn't it lovely.

mattnew 01-30-2013 10:14 AM

loved the wonder while I had it. had a super tigre x.21 speed engine in it. Blazing fast ... lived through two rebuilds... finally met its demise in a high speed vertical drop when the wing decided it wanted to go slower than the rest of the plane and detached. This was after many hundreds of flights and the body was getting close to being so fuel soaked it wouldn't be flyable anyway. Dug the engine out of a 1foot deep hole in the ground... still works!, radio receiver was toast though.

the wonder was rock solid in the air, and surprisngly stable for such a small plane.....didn't like to fly upside down that much...however upright it was a blast to fly. My favorite was full speed passes of the field at about a foot off the ground. More than once I unintentionally landed doing these :-)

Good times, if you build it you'll have a blast.

aspeed 01-30-2013 03:21 PM

I finally flew mine after looking at it for a couple of years with fear. Had an LA .15 and had to land it quick because it was too tail heavy. Checked for the balance point on the net, and had to extend the motor mount 3/4 inch and add 2 oz noseweight. Put a heavy Fox .15 BB in an it flies great, Took a minute to open up to full throttle but it is pretty easy. Pretty fast for me, but I can see more power in the near future.

ehelibuff 01-31-2013 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my new one. Electric version.

Mikie 1 01-31-2013 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow you guys, I'm glad to see this thread getting some action.

ehelibull - Cool airplane!! How did you come up with the name on the wing? ("Who Dey" - isn't that someone from Cincinnati, Ohio would say with regards to the Bengals? ...or we used to...) Is she fast?
I like the folding prop, does she glide, at altitude at all?

aspeed - now that the Magnun, I mentioned before is fully broken in, I'm getting at near 18,500rpm with an APC 9.5 X 4.5 and the Wonder was clocked at about 120mph (119.8). I love it that I didn't have to make any big changes to the airplane to fit the Magnum 25 XLS.

ehelibuff 01-31-2013 04:43 PM

I picked it up off someone dirt cheap. I'm going to take that lettering off. It flies very well. It does around 100. Not too fast, but handles well and great climb. I can fly it behind my backyard in the city park without annoying anyone. I don't get hassled with my electrics there. I fly my fuel and gas birds at the main flying field in the valley. I want to change it to a 4S set up. I still have another kit I'm going to put a FAI pylon engine in. It'll be loud and fast! For the price, the electric one is pretty cool though.

aspeed 01-31-2013 05:58 PM

We will need video of the pylon engine going. Mikey, more pitch on the prop. We run an 8-6 on the LA .25's at about 15,500 rpm (mine anyway) The Magnum might do a little better than that. Maybe an 8-7 would wind up good in a dive.

Crazy4Flight 01-31-2013 06:03 PM

no pipes, both have stock mufflers

ehelibuff 01-31-2013 06:33 PM

I have a couple Cyclon .15's that are piped and turn up in the mid 30,000's. They have to run hand layed glass or carbon props. Wood or plastics would explode. I have a few nelsons as well that are the same story. My FAI one turns 42,000. no nitro. 80% methanol & 20% castor. It's for F3d pylon. Have it on a fiberglass/carbon delta wing like a Diamond Dust. They have no carbs. Huge venturi. They run on bladders. Needs pressure to feed. The .15 has the power of a .25 I'm actually selling a spare one that is like new still.