RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Screamin Demon .65, flights 3&4 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/11245139-screamin-demon-65-flights-3-4-a.html)

Speedy-Gonzales 10-02-2012 02:28 PM

RE: Screamin Demon .65, flights 3&4

Sounds like you are right on par for the course! I opened up my flight box one day at the field and a fellow modeler asked me if I had a spare glowplug. I replied that.... yeh.....I always carry at least 12 of them with me on any single day. Then I had to try to explain to him why they would probably not work in his sport engine. I gave him one anyways just to get him back in the air. After his flight and a dead stick landing he brought it back and told me they were no good. Go figure! :)

combatpigg 10-02-2012 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: MJD

In four flights I've eaten two plugs and one prop, that works out to about $26.00, or $6.50 per flight plus fuel.

At this level of performance, that is actually pretty good. The danger with using old plugs is having the element break off and end up getting wedged between the piston and the liner.
OTOH, that can happen on the 1st flight if you are too lean, overly compressed or too much vibration.
I was hoping to hear that these engines could easily take a little plane like this to 200 mph without any issues, but as usual my wishfull thinking is met with the reality that there is no free lunch in physics.

vicman 10-02-2012 04:05 PM

The danger with using old plugs is having the element break off and end up getting wedged between the piston and the liner.
Hey CP, do you want me to post a pick of what that kind of experience looks like? I got one or fifteen of those too. No imagination necassary.:D

combatpigg 10-02-2012 04:22 PM

The worst case of indigestion for me was with a RIRE K&B that ate a #4 lock washer that was rattling around in the engine bay. Split lock washers really don't have any business being on engines, but that's a long story.
Figure a bad "routine" flight eats a $4 Nelson plug, breaks a $15 prop and guzzles $1 worth of fuel. I might as well just pay my $20 and go drag racing.

Speedy-Gonzales 10-02-2012 04:44 PM

What about iridium element glowplugs?

Anyone tried these:
http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/nitro-...kerze/details/

What are the F3S guys using?

Just curious.

MJD 10-02-2012 06:11 PM

Platinum-iridium alloy is pretty standard for glow plugs, it is stronger and has better chemical resistance than pure platinum, which is quite soft.

MJD 10-02-2012 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I was hoping to hear that these engines could easily take a little plane like this to 200 mph without any issues, but as usual my wishfull thinking is met with the reality that there is no free lunch in physics.

I really haven't tried too hard so far, all I did was fly it a couple of times and focus on trimming and throws and getting comfortable. I only flew two times with the cowl on last weekend and with two different props, and was not expecting any miracles as these were really just two more test flights. By the end of the second flight (#4) my dives were starting earlier and I was getting lower and closer to the camera. I am quite sure that if I flew a proper smooth speed pattern and kept it pinned it would get there with no real changes other than just having everything work together a bit better, and by that I mostly mean the pilot. It's still a bit nerve-wracking to fly so will take some getting used to.

Fanni0124 12-18-2012 05:51 AM

<span class="short_text" id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Screamin</span> <span class="hps">Demon</span> <span class="hps">am I doing.</span></span>
<span class="short_text" id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"><span class="short_text" id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Question.</span></span></span></span><span class="short_text" id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">The</span> <span class="hps">aircraft</span><span>'s center of gravity</span> <span class="hps">where it is?
</span></span><span class="short_text" id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps"><span class="short_text" id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Thank you for your</span> <span class="hps">response.

</span></span></span></span><span class="short_text" id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Regards: Balázs Bundik</span></span> <span class="info"> </span>

MJD 12-18-2012 06:10 AM

Balance the model on the front spar with no fuel. +- 6 mm is okay.

Fanni0124 12-18-2012 08:18 AM

<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">Without fuel</span><span>?</span></span>

iron eagel 12-18-2012 08:27 AM

Yes

Fanni0124 12-18-2012 09:44 AM

<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">Thank you</span> <span class="hps">very much for your</span> <span class="hps">answer!!</span></span>

Fanni0124 12-30-2012 10:34 AM

<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">Hi. </span></span>
<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">I would like to</span> <span class="hps">ask for</span> <span class="hps">help. </span></span>
<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">What</span> <span class="hps">engine</span> <span class="hps">do</span> <span class="hps">it 722cm Wingspan </span></span>
<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">machine? </span></span>Me 6.5ccm MVVS <span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">engine</span> <span class="hps">is.
http://www.modellhungaria.hu/gfsrabcrc-3066-p-4359.html
</span></span><span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">which direction</span></span> <span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">engine </span></span><span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps">draft?</span></span>
<span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps"></span><span class="hps"></span><span class="hps"></span></span><span id="result_box" class="short_text" lang="en"><span class="hps"></span></span>