RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Tomhawk ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/1168465-tomhawk-arf.html)

skysurfer2010 09-28-2003 11:44 PM

Tomhawk ARF

Anyone have any experiences with the Morris Tomhawk ARF? I'm considering buying one. How fast is it? Is it close in speed to the Patriot? How well does it fly? How is the build quality? What engines do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Razor-RCU 09-29-2003 01:00 AM

RE: Tomhawk ARF

Try a search on here- Seems like I read about it awhile back...

Looks awesome but kinda pricey- Also, did you see the review on the Morris web-site?

I have a couple of Patriots and a big F-20 but if the price came down a bit I would get one-

Sorry that this is not much help-
james

skysurfer2010 09-29-2003 08:38 AM

I did a search and really didn't find any good info about the ARF. It sounded like a lot of the kits came out on the heavy side. I'm not looking for a jet trainer, so I don't really want a fast flying brick.

I have a Lanier F4 with an OS 61FX on it which I haven't flown yet. I'm wondering if the Tomhawk will be faster and if so, by how much. I wonder if the 61FX will be a good engine on it or if I should get a Jett engine instead.

The price is a little steep, but if it's good build quality, then it might be worth it.

skysurfer2010 10-01-2003 04:34 PM

Nobody has any experiences with this ARF?????

Razor-RCU 10-02-2003 01:42 AM

uh................no

Shok 10-04-2003 07:32 PM

I saw this plane yesterday at the sw ama show.
It looks really nice but the material looks questionable to me, kinda flemsy plasticy looking and feeling. The added retracts with robo struts are nice.

The guy from Morris says it's about as fast as a patriot with an mvvs 49 for power.

It looks rather large, I'll wait till the price comes down, too high for me.

This is made by VQ correct?

f2racer 10-06-2003 04:16 PM

This is made by VQ correct?
The initial batch were made by VQ, but the design is from Morris. I've heard that the two companies are parting ways... So I think that once the current stock is gone new ones will be made by the same manufacturer which does the rest of the Morris planes which means Ultracoat (Oracover) covering. Hope they keep the oleo struts though, should help those of us out that fly off grass.

skysurfer2010 10-09-2003 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info! Looks like maybe around Christmas I'll pick one up and put a Jett engine in it.

Dave03B 06-05-2004 04:27 PM

no latest news on this arf possible speed prop jet?

Cyclic Hardover 06-05-2004 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
*I've had dealings with Morris hobbies which were not that good a couple years ago and for the most part I have completely blown them off. I am a speed man. YOu would think that if a particular plane was as good as it looks , you would find something on it whether good or bad. The Tomhawk looks good but but does not have the backing of anybody of any value.
* I have never seen the plane in person but here on the RCU I have learned to go with the majority and the majority here is there is no majority on this plane. Pass on it. There reputation is hot an cold. [sm=thumbdown.gif]

Now to back up my mouth, Four years ago I built the F20 which I guess I'll stick another picture of. Most of the guys here with them had the YS 45 or Jett .50. Both of which seemed darn near equal. I wanted to be different so I looked around. "Robert" from Morris Hobbies convinced me the MVVS .40 Q500 would blow them both off.

So I bought it and it was an embarassment. After many phone calls and getting upset, I ubnloaded the engine and bought the Jett .50 which there is nothing better on the market for speed but I will also say that the YS 45 is darn near if not equal depending on the weight.

I f you look around enough you 'll find a Patriot or F20 somewhere.

Dave03B 06-05-2004 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the eye opener. I had a BAe Hawk (gel coat fuz in red, Foam wings etc.......) Made by a model shop here in the uk........lovely kit, but i didnt get around to building it. I sold it on[&o] it was 40-60 sized, and a mate had one hit 127mph with irvine 53 and fixed u/c!!!!!! (wish i'd kept mine) I had a patriot (had, cos of a nice mid air!!) just on the look out........you know?!:)
The Hawk i seem to remember was around the same span as the patriot.

Cheers for the heads up!
sorry for the pic.....its the only one i ould find on my HD at present

Razor-RCU 06-05-2004 08:11 PM

That hawk looks pretty sweet- I bought a couple of Patriots just because they fly so great, In fact one will have a Jett-50 (Assuming I find mine in the bushes) the other will house a YS-45 (Macs or UT muff.)

I also wanted a Tomhawk but the price is WAY too high [X(] It does look great in the pics but I believe SHOK, it looks like there are a few cheezy plastic parts- and for $300+ thats not hatt'nin

Dave: How did that A7 turn out? Got any video? I saw one burn at the Prado Jet meet [X(]