RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Maybe the most Extreme! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/153747-maybe-most-extreme.html)

RossiRay 06-05-2002 12:27 AM

Maybe the most Extreme!

What about taking a large DF engine such as the Violett/Nelson .96 or Rossi 1.05 and building a Delta that is just big enough to hold it? Would it be possible to out run the really fast .40 FAI and QM .40 powered deltas with such a beast?

Dustflyer 06-05-2002 12:46 AM

Monster Delta

You would think it wouldn't be that difficult to push one of these little suckers past 300. I just sent my blown out Jett FIRE 50 back to Dennis at Jett with very specific instructions: the fastest possible Diamond Dust with a MACS quiet pipe. Can't wait to see what I get back.

It's kind of weird that the low 200's seems to be a wall for propeller driven model aircraft. I know a Jett 50 won't break it with a Dust. Maybe more horsepower is the answer.

I'm not sure a Dust could handle a monster motor like that, it's kind of flimsy. A bigger delta? I don't know, the bigger the airframe the higher the induced drag etc. The Tharpe Vortex is not that much bigger and it's pretty slow with a 90. How about a Whiplash? It sounds crazy, but you never know!

MMallory 06-05-2002 10:25 AM

Maybe the most Extreme!

RPM and good eyesight is the key to more speed. Oh... and money. Slap a Nelson or Jett venturi engine on the plane and see if you can manage flying it for a full tank.

Mark M.

Forgues Research 06-05-2002 10:46 AM

Re: Monster Delta

Originally posted by Dustflyer
You would think it wouldn't be that difficult to push one of these little suckers past 300. I just sent my blown out Jett FIRE 50 back to Dennis at Jett with very specific instructions: the fastest possible Diamond Dust with a MACS quiet pipe. Can't wait to see what I get back.

It's kind of weird that the low 200's seems to be a wall for propeller driven model aircraft. I know a Jett 50 won't break it with a Dust. Maybe more horsepower is the answer.

I'm not sure a Dust could handle a monster motor like that, it's kind of flimsy. A bigger delta? I don't know, the bigger the airframe the higher the induced drag etc. The Tharpe Vortex is not that much bigger and it's pretty slow with a 90. How about a Whiplash? It sounds crazy, but you never know!

The Enforcer from Balsa USA is a good candidate and it has been done, even with a turbine.

Dustflyer 06-05-2002 02:13 PM

Nelson

Mark,

I believe you! It would be fun to have that kind of power but I like to throttle back after my launch, get comfortable and then hit the power for the high speed stuff.

If they made those engines with some sort of throttle then I would seriously consider getting one.

BAGOSTIX 06-05-2002 11:21 PM

Jett50

The whiplash can handle the Jett 50 with ease.

The new Jett 50 is the engine of choice for the whiplash if you want to get past the norm and get into the psychotic. The extremely strong airframe of the whiplash can handle the high speeds and demanding manuevers that a Jett 50 would push the whiplash through.

We will soon be featured by Jett Engineering in a joint effort to promote the Jett 50 Spirit of American engine, this is an absolutely awesome piece of engineering certain to take your breath away..

We are offering the Whiplash XL that is prebuilt RTF with the Jett 50 Spirit of America as a stock engine.

Watch our website, in the not too distant future, we will be offering a 90 size whiplash, maybe we'll have to call it the broken neck or whooplash??

14th_Reaper 06-05-2002 11:32 PM

Maybe the most Extreme!

Or how about the Screaming Deamon? hahaha Everyone behind the flight line would be looking a bit like Linda Blair in the Exorcist trying to follow a 90 sized version of the whiplash. Make sure your liability insurance is paid up and get in cahoots with a local Chiropractor... maybe get a few kickback$ for the new patients he is about to receive!! hahah Can't wait, mine should be in by the first of next week!!!! These guys rock with Customer service and fun new products!!

Dustflyer 06-05-2002 11:34 PM

90 in a Whiplash

Rick,

A Jett 50 would be nice in a Whiplash, just like in my Diamond Dust. No, I was referring to a 90 in a standard Whiplash. That would probably be a bit much.

Regarding that Spirit of America Jett 50, do you know anything about it, sport exhaust, rear exhaust etc?

Your RTF sounds really neat. I'll have to look out for it.

BAGOSTIX 06-05-2002 11:35 PM

; ) thanks, that means a lot to us

BAGOSTIX 06-05-2002 11:41 PM

: )

A 90 in a standard whiplash ? :spinnyeye , well I gotta tell ya that it has been thought of already, but...... truly a bit much, the airframe will handle it but I think the weight would certainly make it nose heavy : )

but our 90 size whiplash will certainly handle it, no problems, but first we need to get caught up on whiplash demand before we release a new product..

hey Dust, I sent you an e mail...

mr_matt 06-05-2002 11:43 PM

Re: Monster Delta

Originally posted by Dustflyer
You would think it wouldn't be that difficult to push one of these little suckers past 300.

Hi Gene,

It would take a little over twice the power (2.25 to be exact) to get a 200 mph plane to 300 (all other things being equal)

Not sure if a BVM 96 has that much power, I would guess almost 5 hp, but I think these hot QM and Quickie type motors have got to be making close to 3 hp?

It would be very hard to prop a BVM 96, I think with the fan the exit velocity was about 250??

Dustflyer 06-06-2002 12:56 AM

300 mph

Hi Matt,

I guess that would explain why the Dust hits that "wall" around 200 mph. Certainly trying to put twice the horsepower of something like a Jett FIRE 50 on a Diamond Dust is simply impractical.

I gotta tell ya, 200 mph is about my limit be it a Diamond Dust or a HotSpot. If my Dust wasn't florescent orange on top with black and white stripes on the bottom I'd have a hard time following that little sucker!

Hope all is well,

Gene

ace-RCU 06-06-2002 01:19 AM

Whiplash

Gene, {Dustflyer} Got a Jett 50 Waiting on the Whiplash, When I get it you will see it. You remember how my Dust flew, the Whiplash should be better! hope to get more from the Whiplash than I did out of the Dust! The Dust Only hit around 160 from what the radar gun said. Let me know when your going out to the field. :D :D

Dustflyer 06-06-2002 01:40 AM

Whiplash

Billy,

Outstanding! A Jett 50 and a Whiplash, now that's a sweet combo! Anytime I get to see you fly it's an event. Can't wait to see you put that Whiplash through its paces!

Gene

ace-RCU 06-06-2002 02:22 AM

Whiplash

1 Attachment(s)
:D Gene, Just got word one should be here soon! :cool:
Gonna take it out and fly the Piss out of it!! I'll let you know when I get it so you can check it out :D :D and you gotta come to the field when I test fly it! Should be interesting.

Razor-RCU 10-10-2006 12:56 AM

RE: Maybe the most Extreme!

Whatever happened to the 90 sized Whip and Special Jett America engine?

Sorry for the late response...:)

ace-RCU 10-10-2006 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Whatever happened to the 90 sized Whip and Special Jett America engine?

Sorry for the late response...:)
?

ACM Closed there doors....................

huey-pilot 10-10-2006 09:44 AM

For more power than the Jett 50 and the same weight use a Jett 60LX, both are on the same size crankcase. I have a Jett FIRE 60LX on a Diamond Dust that is fast. The engine turns a 8.8x9 APC at 19,600 on the ground and a 8.8x8.5 over 20,000. The Diamond Dust seems to hit a wall when you get to the speed that these things are flying, I don't think that 200 is possible unless the airfoil is changed and the engine is cowled for streamlining. I have another DD with a Nova Rossi .21 turbo that is almost as fast but doesn't have nearly as much acceleration from the launch. The Nova Rossi is turning over 28,000 on the ground with a cut down APC 7x8 propeller. I would estimate that neither of these planes exceed 150 mph. The speed of these planes doesn't change much whether the plane is going straight up, straight down or in level flight.

ace-RCU 10-10-2006 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: huey-pilot

For more power than the Jett 50 and the same weight use a Jett 60LX, both are on the same size crankcase. I have a Jett FIRE 60LX on a Diamond Dust that is fast. The engine turns a 8.8x9 APC at 19,600 on the ground and a 8.8x8.5 over 20,000. The Diamond Dust seems to hit a wall when you get to the speed that these things are flying, I don't think that 200 is possible unless the airfoil is changed and the engine is cowled for streamlining. I have another DD with a Nova Rossi .21 turbo that is almost as fast but doesn't have nearly as much acceleration from the launch. The Nova Rossi is turning over 28,000 on the ground with a cut down APC 7x8 propeller. I would estimate that neither of these planes exceed 150 mph. The speed of these planes doesn't change much whether the plane is going straight up, straight down or in level flight.

huey-pilot, I don't know what your doing but my Dust with a YS 45 and a APC 9/10 was radared over 160+++
Also have my buddies cliped wing Dust and it's hard to follow 180 +++++++++
Another guy we fly with has gone 200 with his Dust and so have I but we might be off?? I know alot of people think there going fast but??, I fly Turbines as well and know what a 200 mph pass is like.
Even if the GPS or the radar gun ect... is off there still hauling asssssss. Gettin old but still like to haul ass every now and then :D;)
BRG,Billy

BAGOSTIX 10-10-2006 10:52 AM

Actually Billy, you're mistaken, ACM is alive and well, we are doing mostly UAV and Aerial Target business, but are trying to re-introduce the Whiplash..
We're working with a company that will produce the new Whiplash, but its taking a little more time that we had anticipated to get the final product exactly to our specifications..
We are getting there, but might have spoken too soon on introducing the Whips return..
I'll keep everyone posted as we progress.

heres the website

www.acmuav.com

ace-RCU 10-10-2006 06:45 PM

Rick, When I said closed there doors, I meant to the R/C model end.

huey-pilot 10-10-2006 08:04 PM

I really don't know the top speed of my two Diamond Dust's since I haven't flown them past a radar. When I first started flying them it was hard for me to fly much at full throttle but now I can fly them a full tank of fuel at top speed, the planes aren't slower, I am getting used to the speed. My Jett 60LX should be faster than the YS 45 but maybe I am doing something wrong.