RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Balsa USA enforcer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/1663087-balsa-usa-enforcer.html)

CARS II 07-30-2004 12:34 AM

RE: Link

Not much time to build right now but this bird has to be done by Sept. 10th, Fresno jet meet happens the following week.

CARS II

Dash7ATP 07-30-2004 02:09 PM

HI Cars,

You can put the fan there Ok, but you should still have good intake and exhaust ducting. Did you get the email I sent you last week with the copy from the RC Jets List?

Joe

CARS II 07-30-2004 10:38 PM

Hi Dash.
I believed I didn't, may be because my email filters are set to high, I will change them tonight to let your e-mail in.

Send to [email protected].

Thank you.

CARS II

ROTOTRACK 08-03-2004 11:59 PM

JETT PIPE

I installed a Jett pipe on the enforcer that has a OS 61 on it, and it sure makes more power. In a few weeks I want to install a new Jett engine but not sure which one to go with. I was thinking of getting the 60 size as I know it will haul, but could just go to the 90 size as both are about the same price. What do you guys think?

CARS II 08-12-2004 09:40 PM

RE: JETT PIPE

Ok, I'm about to start working on the Enforcer again, I got the Ramtec fan this week and I will try to work on it starting next Tuesday. This time the building process should go fast.

CARS II

SALMONBUG 08-15-2004 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks, I enjoy this thread.

I seriously considered the enforcer as first model for my wren mw54. I changed my mind and went for a design especialy made for turbine.

I start to regret it and I think I will order a enforcer soon

here is a pic of my curent project. a mick reeves super reaper modified with retract and wren mw54 powered. Great jet tainer from what I have read

Dave03B 08-15-2004 06:34 AM

Very nice.[8D]

SALMONBUG 08-15-2004 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Dave03B

Very nice.[8D]
dave, I visited your page, very nice airplane........

I love the one above the words "words can't describe", you are right !!!! I have the same one :D:D:D

the only serious concurent to that one is this one ;) a extreme with jett 50

livinabox 08-15-2004 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Salmon Bug , youv just done what im about to do .
Love it

Dash7ATP 08-15-2004 12:41 PM

Salmonbug,

That looks a lot like a modified enforcer! I'm sure it will fly great! from what I have seen , the little engine you're putting on it has plenty of of grunt! Be careful!

What nose gear strut are you using. I like that style. I made something like that from on old Robert strut. They really track well.

Joe

SALMONBUG 08-15-2004 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

Salmonbug,

That looks a lot like a modified enforcer! I'm sure it will fly great! from what I have seen , the little engine you're putting on it has plenty of of grunt! Be careful!

What nose gear strut are you using. I like that style. I made something like that from on old Robert strut. They really track well.

Joe
the plane is not a modified enforcer, that's a mick reeves super reaper, a wood aiframe with sheeted foam wings. the retract is a eurokit with 6mm wires and nose wheel is a eurokit strut It's fit with proportional brakes.
that plane is not overpowered with a mw54, my particular engine coming from a kit, produce around 7kg. my estimated final weight for the reaper is around 8 kg.
the plane is 70 inches wingspan.........
the wing profile is very big and my estimated top speed is around 130 miles

a good quiet trainer........

watch here a video of a reaper in flight

http://www.paf-flugmodelle.de/spunki.wmv

that one is powered with a much more powerful engine than mine

enjoy also my building thread here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#2086725

Dash7ATP 08-15-2004 03:52 PM

Joe
[/quote]

the plane is not a modified enforcer, that's a mick reeves super reaper, ............
the plane is 70 inches wingspan.........

the wing profile is very big and my estimated top speed is around 130 miles

Salmonbug,

Wow! 70 inch span. It sure didn't look like that in your photo! I'm sure you will have plenty of power. It should fly very nice. I still think it looks a lot like the enforcer. He may have gotten some ideas on the fuselege shape from the enforcer. Of course. delta wings will always look a lot alike.

Don't be so sure you will sell it after only a few flights. You just may like this one.

Joe

SALMONBUG 08-15-2004 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[/quote]

Don't be so sure you will sell it after only a few flights. You just may like this one.

Joe
[/quote]

I am sure I will sell it, because I have this one on preorder...... Bruce promised me the kit number 2
Yes Bruce Tharpe is a good overseas fellow (woops am I a name placer?)

the new BTE reaction 54 Will be for my wren Mw54

Andrew Ditchfield 08-19-2004 10:50 AM

RE: Balsa USA enforcer

I am thinking of changing the engine on my Enforcer from an OS Surpass .91 to a Super Tiger .75. What size propeller did you use? I couldn't find many pushers in the range recommended by Super Tiger for that engine. I have heard that it is easy to modify the Super Tiger's to make them run backwards so that normal propellers can be used. Do you know anything about this? Also I was considering the Super Tiger .90 and was wondering if you or anyone else reading this has a recommendation on that engine.

Thanks,

Andrew

siclick33 08-30-2004 08:13 AM

I started this thread ages ago and didn't realise it would be so popular!

My Enforcer is finally finished. Just need to double check CG and set up control throws.

Now for some questions.

Are you guys using the CG as shown on the plan?

I have four servos driving four control surfaces. All surfaces move up and down for pitch control. Each half moves up and down for aileron (i.e. two surfaces up and two surfaces down). This obviously means that I have a lot more control input than the standard version.

Is anyone else doing this? Can you suggest suitable control deflections?

I will post pictures as soon as the canopy glue has dried!

Andrew Ditchfield 08-30-2004 09:39 AM

Congratulations on finishing the Enforcer. Some things I had to deal with were:

1. Extreme nose down pitch when throttling up. I added a lot of down thrust to the engine to offset it. I put drilled out nuts between the mount and engine on the two holes closest to the propeller. The nuts were about 1/8 inch thick.

2. Fuel tank had to be reversed so that clunk stays at bottom of tank on take off. This required the cap of the tank to face forward and then run the fuel line from the cap back along the outside length of the tank to the firewall and engine.

3. I ran my Enforcer with a .91 4 stroke O.S. Surpass which had a problem with air leaks in the needle valve. I put fuel tubing over the needle value which fixed that. This engine works fairly well although it is tough to tune it just right in a pusher configuration. I think it tends to overheat more because the propwash is not going over the cooling fins. I just bought and am installing a SuperTiger .90 2 stroke, as I have seen the SuperTigers work well on this plane.

I ended up using two control surfaces, one for each half of the trailing edge (elevons). I have one servo for each control surface and I mounted them in the wing. I originally had them in the body with nyrod connectors, but there was too much spring in the control surfaces which would have definitely caused flutter at full speed. I highly recommend putting the servos in the wing. I ended up using the ni-rod tubes that were installed in the wing as a guide to push servo wires through, so I didn't have to tear the wing apart.

Let me know if you have any other questions and let me know how the plane flies.

Good Luck,

Andrew

siclick33 08-30-2004 09:50 AM

Thanks.

My servos are in the wings so that is no problem. My fuel tank already faces forward too. Super Tigre 60 for power. I think I might want a bit more power pretty soon.

Only concern now is the downthrust!

What control throws are you using with the elevons?

siclick33 08-30-2004 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is!

joeflyer 08-30-2004 06:10 PM

Sic,
I have 4 control surfaces and 4 servos. All 4 move up and down (+/- .5 inch) for pitch control, but only the outboard surfaces move (+/- .5 inch) for aileron roll control. The plane flys very well this way. If you want to move all 4 surfaces for ailerons then I'd use a bit less (maybe 3/8 inch).

You should probably start out with the plan CG location or maybe slightly forward. Mine is 3/4 inch forward of the plan location but that is primarily because I lengthened the nose by 6 inches. Mine is a DF conversion so the elevators are a little smaller than yours and they don't get any prop blast. Also depending on your personal preference you might like it more or less responsive, but the above should get you in the ball park.

Joe

siclick33 08-31-2004 03:16 PM

It flies!

Not quite what I expected at first but at least it does fly. Good enough for me to start tweaking.

Firstly the speed.

I know what you are going to say but it is pretty slow. This might be a slight illusion as the model is quite big and really easy to see. I am running Super Tigre 61 with Graupner 11x8 prop and Duraglo straight (No Nitro) fuel. The engine hasn't been run for a while and I've got about 3/4 gallon of the straight stuff left. The ST engine is supposed to like lower nitro so I'll use that up and then use up the rest of my 5%. Any suggestions on a different prop for the ST 61?

Now the handling.

It flies like a brick. That is meant in a good way. It is light on the controls but goes exactly where you put it. No wobbling or dutch roll. Wind was very light here today but you can't see any disturbances in flight at all.

Pitch is pretty good. Roll is a bit slow (but not too bad). If I can get the speed up, then a touch more throw and it'll be about right for me. Slow speed handling is excellent and it is probably the easiest plane to land that I have ever owned (including my trainer). Even with the slow speed/lack of power it will still loop from straight and level, rolls OK and flies inverted OK (I haven't tried much inverted yet but it will hold inverted straight and level at least).

And the noise.

Pretty loud but it does make the model impressive in the air. Not only the prop noise but you can here the woosh of the airframe too. Pretty cool.

All I need now is a bit more speed and I'll be happy!

Bill Yonescu 08-31-2004 03:42 PM

Have you thought about trying the APC 10X8??

I have a Tower .75 in mine and have used the 11x7 APC so far.. Fast enough for me. The Tower turns the 11x7 close to 15K rpm with 15% Cool Power. I will try the 10x8 soon.

Bill

siclick33 08-31-2004 04:55 PM

Thanks

I think I'll try an APC 10x9 and up the nitro. I NEED MORE SPEED

Dave03B 08-31-2004 04:58 PM

SMC sell them

Buzzard Beak 09-07-2004 10:55 AM

I have a complete setup for the enforcer I will part with if anybody is interested. os91, fan, pipe, gear and plans, all nib, $650. Respond by PM or email. Thanks

Frank

siclick33 09-08-2004 05:15 PM

OK,

I flew my Enforcer again today. I upped the nitro very slightly and it is still slow. I am running a Super Tigre 61 with a Graupner 11x8 prop. Am I using the wrong prop? Will changing this help or am I just underpowered?

Take off run is quite long too! I fly from tarmac so it is OK. I think it would struggle off grass.