RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   I want a fast one!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/175872-i-want-fast-one.html)

basmntdweller 06-26-2002 10:53 PM

I want a fast one!!

I really don't need any more projects but I've been flying a Sig kobra with OS 32 and tuned pipe with an 8-8 prop. I don't know how fast it goes but it's not enough. It is the fastest I have seen at my field though. The only engine I have that I would think would be decent for a fast plane is my Rossi R45 rear exhaust. Other than a DD, what would be another good choice in the low cost category? I don't have the bucks for anything on the lines of a whiplash. I'll be doing good to get a couple digital servos for what ever I end up with. If my Rossi is a waste of time for this project let me know that as well. I'll save up more pennies for maybe a Jett.
Thanks,,,basmntdweller

Dustflyer 06-26-2002 11:59 PM

Fast and inexpensive

The Diamond Dust is a great model and tough to beat cost wise at only 65 bucks. Unfortunately once you factor in the cost of a couple rolls of Ultracoat and a can of Balsa Right you are right up near a hundred bucks and not far off the price of a Whiplash.

Two models come to mind; however, that you might want to consider. The various forums have posted accounts of guys going very fast with Lanier Shrikes and Sig Wonders. I have personally seen the Sig Wonder and can tell you it will go scary fast on fairly small engines. You might want to give it some consideration.

By the way, I have a Kobra with an OS 32 SX and it is one magnificent flying machine. I love my big stuff and jets but that little Kobra is just too sweet.

basmntdweller 06-27-2002 12:59 AM

I want a fast one!!

I've got a Rossi 21 controlline speed engine but no carb for it. I'd be scared to try one of these without a throttle to slow it down. I also have an old Cox conquest that might not be too bad but I'd think neither would be as fast as my Kobra.
Later,,, basmntdweller

Bob Parker 06-27-2002 02:52 PM

Fast plane

I had a 40 size Shrike with a Webra speed 50 that was clocked at 129 by police. I said had as I had a dumb thumb thing last Sat. Have a Whiplash comming. :) :)

basmntdweller 06-27-2002 07:36 PM

I want a fast one!!

How fast would my Rossi 45 with pipe go on a Diamond Dust? 150 or so should satisfy my need for speed.
,,,basmntdweller

Dustflyer 06-30-2002 11:53 PM

Rossi

I would think the Rossi 45 with a pipe would do the trick.

basmntdweller 07-01-2002 12:02 AM

I want a fast one!!

Thanks Dustflyer, I'll get one ordered this week. Are digital servos a requirement on this plane? What is recommended?
Thanks,,,basmntdweller

Dustflyer 07-01-2002 12:43 AM

Digital servos on Dust

Not really, but you need high quality, high torque servos if you want to go 150+ mph.

I started out with FMA coreless high-torque servos on my Dust. After about 20 or 30 flights or so with the Jett 50 I started getting flutter. Turned out the servos were shot, even though they cost more than 50 bucks apiece! I could actually jiggle the servo arms back and forth 1/8" even with power on. I junked those and dropped in a pair of JR 8101's high-torque coreless servos which are right below the 2721 analog and 8411 digital in quality. I picked them because they had wide-spaced bearings I figured would handle the air loads better. So far no problems and no flutter. If was going to do it over; however, I would go with the JR 9411 mid-size digitals simply because they are smaller and have gobs of power. Incidently, JR servos work perfectly with the excellent FMA Quantum receiver I use in my Dust.

Keep in mind this is purely personal opinion. There are guys that run standard servos, Hitec 225's, you name it and claim to have no problems. I honestly don't know how standard servos would work out as I have not tried them in a high-powered Diamond Dust. BAGOSTIX offered some suggestions on servo power on one of the Whiplash posts. I would check it out.

pdxpaul 07-01-2002 07:08 PM

DD servos

I use Hitec 605's in my DD w/ Jett 50. They are torquey little guys and so far so good. Some have complained about the accuracy of their centering, but I have not experienced any problems. Anyway, with the speed of a DD, there is not much time to go straight to see how your servo centers, before the next turn.

Paul

soarrich 07-02-2002 02:38 AM

Re: I want a fast one!!

Originally posted by basmntdweller
If my Rossi is a waste of time for this project let me know that as well.
You should throw the Rossi away, please dispose of it properly in a box labeled:

Rich Border
409 Thompson Ave.
Middletown, NJ 07748

WADE 07-03-2002 05:38 PM

I want a fast one!!

The Hitec 5245MG digital has more power than a standard servo and is smaller and lighter than a standard. It also comes with a metal servo arm. They run about $50. Just a thought.

Wade

basmntdweller 07-03-2002 07:01 PM

I want a fast one!!

soarrich,,
I threw it away like you said but it came back, something about a raise in the trash pick up rates:) I guess I'll go ahead and use it after all. I ordered my Dust this morning.
I'd like to try the hitec digitals but I'm not real fond of metal gears. They tend to wear very fast. On a surface that would be prone to flutter. I think I'd rather stay with a good strong set of nylon gears.
Thanks,,,basmntdweller

WADE 07-03-2002 10:02 PM

I want a fast one!!

Yeah, I don't know how durable the metal gears are in the Hitecs.

Kelly W 07-03-2002 11:51 PM

Another cheap speed option...

1 Attachment(s)
Try the House of Balsa P-51 Mustang (the larger one) with an OS 32SX shoehorned into it and wings clipped by 1 rib per side... A cheap, agile and very fast plane that doesn't look too bad either. Verticals are totally out of site. :D

I have had my current stang for 2 years and its still my favorite. (until my Hotspot is done... :) ) I am going to build another mustang next year with a redesigned front end to fit an OS 46FX. A good coarse pitch 3-blade should make that smoke. Before the .32 powered stang, I had another one with a tuned exhaust Fox Q-40 on it. The pylon guys estimated it was doing close to the 160 mph mark. This plane had no canopy, the scoop was cleaned off, the gear was left in the box, and total weight was 3.25lb on 6.5lb of thrust (2:1 ). :D It dug itself a 4ft long trench in the runway unfortunately...

The attached picture is my current bird.

Later,
Kelly

addendum: Just did a speed measurement last night. This plane will do 111mph, probably a bit faster in the early days before I punished the engine with some 40% :D

Forgues Research 07-04-2002 09:35 PM

Re: I want a fast one!!

Originally posted by basmntdweller
I really don't need any more projects but I've been flying a Sig kobra with OS 32 and tuned pipe with an 8-8 prop. I don't know how fast it goes but it's not enough. It is the fastest I have seen at my field though. The only engine I have that I would think would be decent for a fast plane is my Rossi R45 rear exhaust. Other than a DD, what would be another good choice in the low cost category? I don't have the bucks for anything on the lines of a whiplash. I'll be doing good to get a couple digital servos for what ever I end up with. If my Rossi is a waste of time for this project let me know that as well. I'll save up more pennies for maybe a Jett.
Thanks,,,basmntdweller

Have you looked at the Whiplash, it will give you what you want and more.
http://www.geocities.com/roger_forgues/Whiplash.html

basmntdweller 07-05-2002 09:43 PM

I want a fast one!!

Okay, my DD is on it's way. What would be a good prop to start with on my Rossi 45 RE with a full tuned pipe?
Thanks,,,basmntdweller

RossiRay 07-05-2002 10:02 PM

Props

APC 8.8x9, 8.8x9.25, 9x7, 9x8. Tune 800 rich of peak to start.

rsieminski 07-18-2002 11:53 PM

I want a fast one!!

What rpm will it push those props at?