RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Shrike or Wonder? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/1928473-shrike-wonder.html)

morwan 06-23-2004 11:25 AM

Shrike or Wonder?

Have anybody tested Lanier Shrike or the Sig Wonder?

Witch is the best of these two planes when you use a 15 engine?;)

Sport Flyer 06-23-2004 11:43 AM

RE: Shrike or Wonder?

I have both. My Wonders have been powered with either a Magnum .15 or a Magnum .21. My Shrike is powered with a piped Webra 20. The Shrike with a 15 would probably be faster, but the Wonder is an easier build and less of a hassle to cover.

For a first small speed plane I'd recommend the Wonder. Keep it light and it'll easily fly out of your hand. You'll need assistance to get the Shrike airborn as there's not enough meat under the fuselage to feel comfortable attempting a self-launch.

See my planes here!

morwan 06-23-2004 12:11 PM

Thank you! Sport Flyer.
I think I would go for the Wonder then.
I will use an OS 15 and Hitec 81 servos to keep it light as you say.

Here you can see my [link=http://www.wanviks.com/fly/Hangar/Hangar.htm]planes[/link]
I am sorry that my site is in Norwegian only.

Sport Flyer 06-23-2004 01:20 PM

The language might be Norwegian but the airplanes are universal![8D]

Crazy4Flight 06-23-2004 10:01 PM

if this is your first hand launched small airplane then buy the SIG Wonder.

with a .15 it will be quick and agile,
yet slows way down and can be flown like a "park flyer"

Also the Wonder kit is complete with all the hardware you need to build, very good plans and instructions with lots of photos,

the Lanier shrike is a box of wood plans and instructions and costs more

having built several Wonders from OS.15FP OS.25FX and a Twin two OS.15FPs !!!

Here are my SIG WONDER MODIFICATIONS

1) Replace ¼ x ¼ balsa L.E. stock with 3/16 x 3/16 spruce.

2) Do not trim 3" L.E. Sheeting to 2-3/4 per instructions the sheeting will go from the main spars over the top of the spruce L.E. in #1. Easier to do than the butt joint the plans call for

2A) Optional front wing bolt, add balsa block between center two ribs for 10-32 nylon screw to go through and a crossbrace in fuse to tap for front wing hold down.

2B) add tri stock to re-enforce F2 if wing dowels are to be used per plans.

3) Notch the 2 center ribs to accept ¼ x ¼ spruce stock for servo mounting rails these will be underneath the center section wing sheeting , giving the screws more wood to go through. And much better controll of the ailerons.

4) Add ½ triangle stock under wing mounting blocks. (when using a .25 or larger engine)

5) Notch the trailing edge balsa stock where the torque rods will be before gluing into place, this saves carving time later at installation.

6) Omit servo access hatch on bottom of fuse, strengthen fuse aft of F4 with ¼ triangle
stock. Read #7 for servo access.

7) Do not glue the Stab to the fuselage! Bolt the stab to the wing mounting blocks, 6-32 nylon screws, yes there is plenty of space. Add rear mount screw block to fuse for the stab 3/8 x ¼ hard wood will do and use a 6-32 nylon screw here too.

8) Before gluing doublers and formers to the fuselage sides, layout and cut ¼" x ¼" holes through fuse sides under stab for elevator & throttle servo mounting rails (spruce). I used HS-80 81 or HS -85 mirco servos by Hitec. You will have to lay a servo on the print to get the location set.

9) Add ¼ x ¼ triangle stock in fin/stab corner, fins tend to get knocked off.

10) Install fuel tank just in front of F3 to minimize pitch change as fuel is consumed. Print shows it up by the firewall.

kennyandannie 06-30-2004 06:22 PM

morwan,
I own both a Shrike 10 and a Sig Wonder. I can't speak to the Shrike, since I havn't taken the motor out of my Wonder and put it in the Shrike yet, I'm just having too much fun flying the Wonder.
I'm flying the Wonder with a Norvel AME 25 BB, using a 8/7 APC turning 16,500 rpm's.
This thing is a blast!!!
I know I can get more speed out of the Shrike, but I just having fun for now, besides, I fly all kinds of different styles, winter is the time to make engine changes;)

Just my .02

Kenny

DTB 07-02-2004 12:24 PM

The Wonder is a fun plane.