RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   CERMARK F-20 MAIDEN (60size)--FINALLY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/1958675-cermark-f-20-maiden-60size-finally.html)

Cyclic Hardover 07-03-2004 07:50 PM

CERMARK F-20 MAIDEN (60size)--FINALLY

This one is for Flyboy Dave and Airgar. Brought it out this morning. run up was great with this Jett.90. Had a friend stand out their for the trimming if I needed help. Got down to the end of the runway and rolled on out. Right down the centerline. Brought the nose up and rode on the mains a bit and lifted off.

It took a few laps to trim it out but it was sounding awesome. Then I brought the gear up and started cruising. Over all, I was up about 3-4 minutes. Came around the back stretch for another high speed run and just a screamin when she did not want to pull out. I guess I was going over 100mph when that thing went in full speed. Happened so fast i didn't even throttle back.

Those who witness said it sounded as awsome going in as it did flying around. There was nothing left from the front of the rear stab forward. Most of the electronics faired out well and the Jett.90 broke the muffler. I called Dub Jett and he can fix it at half the cost of a new one. Engine itself looks okay but will bench run it.

So the rear servo was still mounted which was a relief but somehow the gears had stripped in the servo. How that happened is the mystery considering it was a high torque and all. I was so involved I did not hear flutter which others say they did right before it went in.

So I still have the little F-20 with a Jett 50 which runs great and other speedsters. I am planning on a Giant Scale Laird Turner shortly so I was in a bit of a mess here for a replacement. Friend of mine gave me is .60 size Ultra Sport for which I will strip and install my own stuff and give him back the engine and sorts. This will be perfect for the Jett.90 as an all around sport speedster. with retracts and the whole thing.

All and all it was an impressive ride while it lasted. Later guys

Flyboy Dave 07-03-2004 11:50 PM

RE: CERMARK F-20 MAIDEN (60size)--FINALLY

1 Attachment(s)
Yo, Mike....[:o]....

....sorry to hear about that ! [X(] Mine fluttered the elevator and crashed
on the first flight also....but mine was repairable. I have a couple spare 60
size Cermark F-20's, if you want a replacement....lemme know.

Dave. [:o]

AirGar 07-04-2004 07:29 AM

Now, THAT....is a BUMMER. Mike, you were aware of the potential flutter problem, eh? I know it's been discussed here more than once. Man, I hate to hear it went in.

And to anybody who buys/finds one of these 60 F-20's....The whole elevator hook up is a joke if you do it like the instructions state. I did mine different, and it's still flying after a couple of years. Give me or FBD a holler.

Again, sorry Mike (you know that Jett 90/60 F-20 were just made for each other, right?) ;) :D

Gary

Cyclic Hardover 07-04-2004 10:02 AM

I remember you guys talking about the elevator setup a while back as I was building it. Before i unscrewed tha back end I moved the elevators and they were loose and I thought the servo broke loose but it was still mounted but the gearing was stripped.

You had that much fuselage left?

Thanks for the offer on another plane but I am going to put the engine in that Ultra sport. Actually it will still be a screamer. My friend bought it from a guy several years ago who was a great builder but his choice of coverings and design is straight out of a bad magazine. So I wil recover to fit my own eyes. Maybe a designer red to match the engine:D

bob27s 07-06-2004 09:52 AM

hey........sorry to hear about the loss..........

Bob

tuskegee pilot 04-15-2005 11:34 AM

I just bought a .60 size Cermark F-20 (red edition) Tigershark. The assembly instructions are not very good. I put it back in the box. Considering selling it. It was $249.00. I may let it go for $199 plus the shipping unless someone has some good pointers on assembly and flying it. Send comments to:

[email protected].

Thanks!

Cyclic Hardover 04-15-2005 06:23 PM

Good move-- However the Cermark F-16 is suppose to be a heck of a good plane, both old and new version.

angelrcdesign 04-15-2005 11:14 PM

Sorry to here that................Mike

For some reason those flat stab and ele don't like high speed. I all ways build my stab to a airfoil. And use strong servo's. When I want to go fast. But that me......
Well I see ya later back to building.

Flyboy Dave 04-16-2005 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: tmw09

Considering selling it.

timothy
Timothy ...hang on to the F-20, it is a good plane, it just need some mods. ;)

FBD. :D

Cyclic Hardover 04-16-2005 08:13 PM

I never had the chance to give an opinion however the 3 laps or so that I had were very stable until it went in. But like the Kyosho Texan that had wing failure from the factory--I don't make the same mistake twice. Ask Dave what modifications he did. If not I would sell it and get that F-16. Too much of a crap shoot for me.

ira d 04-17-2005 08:25 PM

I just lost my cermark F20 yestrday i really liked the plane one of the
three screws that held the horz stab came out and I lost up elevator.

I had been flying this plane since last july the crash was a major
wipeout ,our feld is located on a working diary farm and the plane
crashed in one of there sewer ponds and the engine sunk.

I was able to recover part of the wreckage but the battery was
destroyed and the reciver no longer works .

I may get the new F16 but I dont know yet.

Flyboy Dave 04-17-2005 08:32 PM

ira d...

....sorry to hear your plane went in. [:o] Alot of the older Cermarks suffered the
same fate...the .40 size as well had some shortcomings. Hopefully the newer
stuff has been improved.

FBD. [:o]

Cyclic Hardover 04-17-2005 09:00 PM

Dont give up on the prop jets. ONly the Cermatk F20 seems to be the Devil plane. Never heard anyrhing bad on their F-16 or other brands .

Flyboy Dave 04-22-2005 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They are still one of the coolest planes out there. There are some points that
need to be modified. The elevator needs to be remounted, the ailerons are too
long....and will flutter. The rudder hinge line is vertical, and will flutter (duh), as
well as the weak rudder linkage allows it to flutter. The fuel tank and the retracts
are throw aways. The canopy melts in the sun. :eek:

FBD. :)

Evil Homer 04-22-2005 01:21 AM

Nice plane FBD, what engine are you running in there

Flyboy Dave 04-22-2005 01:52 AM

....it's a Tower .75, great engine. The Jett .90 is better though. :eek:

....but hey, it hauls pretty good. ;)

tuskegee pilot 09-16-2005 11:08 AM

I have in my possession the .60 sized Cermark F-20 (red) model airplane. I do not like the instruction manual very much. It has set on my building board for a long time in the box. I finally openned the box and layed out the aircraft parts. I am still unwilling to put this arf together because of the elevator flutter challenges. Anybody wants it, let me know. Original, $249, I will let it go for $199 plus shipping.

tuskegee pilot 09-16-2005 11:25 AM

Flyboy Dave...I tried to take your advice about holding on to it...can you provide some pictures of the elevator modifications that you did to keep the plane from fluttering? Any pictures of your plane would be appreciated. Otherwise, it is up for sale for $199 plus shipping from Virginia 23434.

TMW09

email address: [email protected]

Cyclic Hardover 09-16-2005 09:45 PM

Boy, you had to dig this out of the closet and rub it in eh?:D

AirGar 09-16-2005 11:01 PM

Well....when you suck, you suck! :D

vicman 09-17-2005 09:12 PM

CH, don't feel too bad. I did the same thing to my SA F-20 on maiden. Only I was the weak link and not a mechanical error. I'm working on getting it fixed tho.

Flyboy Dave 09-17-2005 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hardwood servo rails are bolted to (through) the horiz. stab and the servo
is screwed to the rails. If you glue the servo rails to the stab....they will
pull off the balsa....Lawn Dart City !! [X(]

Mine crashed on maiden too. [:o]

FBD.

Cyclic Hardover 09-18-2005 09:36 AM

When u hot uuuuuuuu hot!

ORIGINAL: AirGar

Well....when you suck, you suck! :D
:D

Razor-RCU 09-18-2005 01:20 PM

I got mine used so maybe the guy did the mod. when he built it--- If anyone wants it CHEAP I will bring it to the October 8th El Mirage get together...I took all the gear out-

Flyboy Dave 09-19-2005 01:01 AM

Yo, James....if it is in good shape....you can put my name on it. ;)

( mines kinda thrashed :eek: )

FBD. ;)