RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   GLUEING BALSA LEADING EDGE ON DIAMOND DUST (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/1971066-glueing-balsa-leading-edge-diamond-dust.html)

snowboat 07-08-2004 08:10 AM

GLUEING BALSA LEADING EDGE ON DIAMOND DUST

I am in the process of building a diamond dust. I am thinking of glueing a balsa leading edge on it and sanding it to a sharp edge.
I thought that the rod that is the leading edge would be hard to attach covering to and also would create drag.
Would this improve the aerodynamics of the plane?;)

drdavis 07-08-2004 09:14 AM

RE: GLUEING BALSA LEADING EDGE ON DIAMOND DUST

Snowboat,

I just finished my first DD, and I was suprised at how well the Ultracote stuck to the carbon fiber leading edge. I don't know that making a balsa leading edge the way you mentioned would make much difference from the included cf leading edge.

Evil Homer 07-09-2004 01:19 AM

I think there would be a big difference in the overall strength of the dust, i would stick with the carbon rods.

Mike Connor 07-09-2004 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: snowboat

I am thinking of glueing a balsa leading edge on it and sanding it to a sharp edge.
I thought that the rod that is the leading edge would be hard to attach covering to and also would create drag.
Would this improve the aerodynamics of the plane?;)
Carl.E here on RCU used triangle stock on the leading edge for a sharp point. I also think I remember some of the ARF/ARC DD's having this done from DiamoundDustRC. I over lap the covering on the leading edge so it would stick good plus not have a loose edge facing the wind.

snowboat 07-12-2004 05:08 PM

I was not going to replace the carbon spar but glue the balsa on the spar.

pdxpaul 07-12-2004 06:56 PM

Snowboat,

You want a rounded rather than a sharp leading edge. A sharp leading edge supposedly causes more drag and the plane to hunt. You will find an explanation of the aerodynamic principles if you search this site. I would not change a thing on the dust.

Paul

evan-RCU 07-12-2004 09:46 PM

I glued triangle stock to the LE and have it sanded to a sharper leading edge. No hunting or other problems and it's noticably faster than any other planes at my field(or anywhere else I've flown) and we have other DD's set up similarly with the same engines. I recently recovered it and while it was down to the bones I also sheeted the area from the LE to the high point on the ribs, effectively sheeting the LE to the spar on a conventional wing. I think that the sheeting help the covering from bowing in creating alot of drag. It also glides better as it now has a better airfoil.

Carl.E 07-12-2004 09:49 PM

Mike, you sure have a good memory! I did put tri-stock on the LE of my first dust. I didn't on my second one, and couldn't feel any obvious difference in flying...

Carl

Mike Connor 07-12-2004 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Carl.E

Mike, you sure have a good memory!

Carl
Carl,
Not too bad for an old fart. LOL I always pay attention to DD's, Shrikes and worth while post. ;)

iskandar taib 07-13-2004 12:25 AM

Are those things really carbon rods? On the DD web site, under "accessories", all the tubing other than the one size of Prospar is the black Glasforms fiberglass tubing. The size he lists as K75 isn't really K75, which is supposed to be .350" o.d. He's actually listing the "X60GBN" size (don't know what the old designation was), which is .337" o.d. and which telescopes into the FL414 (Y55GBR).

http://www.diamonddustrc.com/Accessor.htm

http://www.glasforms.com/products_layout.htm

flyforfood99 07-13-2004 07:38 PM

making a sharp leading edge can cause a premature and abrupt seperation of airflow over the top of the wing.... aka-accelerated stall. could cause a problem when making those 90 degree pull ups 10 feet off the deck. [:@]

Mike Connor 07-14-2004 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

Are those things really carbon rods
My Dust plans say only the spar is carbon fiber and the leading edge is fiberglass. I believe the spar extensions are also fiberglass.

As far as a sharp leading edge, the Shrike has one. I never noticed "hunting" and it was fast but I did notice it would tend to experience "accelerated stalls" on very abrupt high speed turns.