RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Balance Aluminum Spinner??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/200450-balance-aluminum-spinner.html)

Isaac F 07-18-2002 11:34 PM

Balance Aluminum Spinner???

I want to balance my Aluminum spinner for my Magnum.

I already have a hi point balancer. Can
you give me some tips to balance the Aluminum Spinner.

What I meant what part I have to take weight?? Only the Back plate???

THX

Isaac :confused:

Flyboy Dave 07-19-2002 03:48 AM

Alum. spinner balance

1 Attachment(s)
Isacc F....Unless you find the back-plate is out of balance...leave it alone. It should be fine. If it is out of balance...drill small holes in the back of the back-plate...out towards the edge...to make it perfect. (you don't have to drill them all the way through)

If the spinner is out of balance....(the assy.) or if you had to enlarge the cone for the prop to fit...you will have to re-balance.

With a felt-tip marker...mark the place on the front of the back-plate where the opening for the prop fits (using the cone).

Mark also the cone...so that it goes back together the same way.

Any metal that needs to be removed ...will be cut from the prop opening on "the heavy Side".

With a little patientence...even a spinner that had to be "opened up"...can be brought back into perfect balance.

Here's a pic of a typical cut...I hope this helps....Dave...

And another pic of the "re-assembly marks".

Flyboy Dave 07-19-2002 04:03 AM

Spinner

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the marks on the inside...so the spinner will always get back together the right way....Dave

Geistware 07-19-2002 08:31 PM

While I would recommend and do balance the back plate, I would leave the spinner alone. It is usally light enough where it will not be a problem. With my spinner, I just add epoxy to the light side. That way if I make a mistake, I can correct it.

Cactus. 07-19-2002 09:56 PM

you have the ali spinner that came from Weston????
BALANCE BOTH BITS!!!!
this was a big reason that the WXL's failed so quick and snapped shafts. my friend has at least 5 half drilled holes on one side of his to make it balance.
the bolts down the middle also have a tendancy to snap, if you can find better bolts, get them

Isaac F 07-19-2002 10:49 PM

BALANCE BOTH BITS!!!!
Yes, I have the one thats come with the Weston.
How you balance Both????? :confused:

What I mean, how do I mount the Spinner in tha Hi Point Balance?

Or do I have to Mount the spinner/back plate as a one unit and remove weight on both parts????

Please help me with this.........This is my firts time I going to balance a sppiner :rolleyes:

THX for your advise,

Isaac

Flyboy Dave 07-20-2002 01:36 AM

Spinner Balance

1 Attachment(s)
Isaac F....I don't what your balancer looks like...but you can the idea from mine. Notice I had to use two positions...one for the back-plate, and another for the spinner assy.

Mount up the backplate first...like this...

Flyboy Dave 07-20-2002 01:46 AM

Step-2

1 Attachment(s)
Locate the heavy part of the back-plate at the bottom...and remove material as necessary. I used a drill-press.

Remove material from the very bottom...at the 6-oclock position, each time....this will change a bit as you go, but don't worry about it. Always remove material from the 6-oclock position...a very little at a time.

Continue to balance the back-plate...until no matter how you position it in the stand...it doesn't turn. Now you have perfect balance of the back-plate.

Flyboy Dave 07-20-2002 01:59 AM

Step 3

1 Attachment(s)
Now, reposition the stand as necessary...so the spinner assy can be checked.

Always put the spinner together aligning the marks I showed you in the earlier post above....so it will be the same every time.

Make sure the prop fits in the spinner without the prop touching the openings in the cone. If you have to open up the cone a bit...now is the time to do it, before you start to balance the cone.

Remove material from both sides of the cone evenly , until the prop fits....like the other pic in the above post.

Flyboy Dave 07-20-2002 02:11 AM

Step 4

1 Attachment(s)
Your almost there...now check the balance of the cone, and remove material as necessary from the inside of the cone.

Again, remove material from the very bottom, at the six o-clock position.

This pic shows where to romove the material...it can also be removed from the prop area...if that was the six o-clock position.

When you get the spinner assy...so that it will not turn, no matter where you set it....you have DONE IT !!!
Notice the small paint brush in the pic ? I use that to turn the parts when I am working....as not to "bump" the parts with my fingers. Take your time...and good luck....Dave...

Isaac F 07-20-2002 03:30 AM

Hey Flyboy Dave, Thank you very much for your help and the pics.
BTW I have the same Dubro H/P Balancer
Now, I understand what I have to do :cool:

THX again for your time and help,

Isaac

Flyboy Dave 07-20-2002 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Isaac...glad to help you...
A few months ago I loaned an old K&B .61 engine to a friend.
He was using one of those cheap, plastic spinners...that comes with an ARF plane...
as it turned out the spinner was out of balance, and caused engine vibration...
the vibration caused the low speed needle to turn "in" at full throttle and leaned out the mixture...

The result was a "fried" and siezed piston. I had never seen this happen before...but I guess there's a first time for everything.